OT: Who is going to the Superbowl?

Colin

• Moderators

How it got it's name sauper Bowl.

ept_sports_nfl_experts-885337733-1296845Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

It seems too much like an urban legend to be true that the Super Bowl was named after a children's novelty toy that was popular in the mid-1960s.

But strange as it sounds, it is. The name of America's biggest sport event got its name from a Wham-O toy called "Super Ball." The story was recounted in Michael MacCambridge's book, "America's Game."

Once the NFL-AFL merger was announced, discussions began about the inaugural championship game between the winners of the two leagues. A group of seven men were tasked with the specifics. During the course of the meetings, it became confusing when the men referred to "the championship game" because the others didn't know whether he was referring to the league championship games or the finale, which still didn't have a name. To end the mix-ups, Kansas City Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt jokingly referred to the final championship game as the "Super Bowl." He had come up with the name while watching his children play with the toy pictured above.

"Super Bowl" is how the game was referred to for months, even though Hunt himself said it was "far too corny" to ever be used on the big stage. In the middle of 1966, he wrote commissioner Pete Rozelle and said the group needed to come up with an official name for the game. "If possible," he wrote, "I believe we should 'coin a phrase' for the Championship Game. [...] I have kiddingly called it the 'Super Bowl,' which obviously can be improved upon."

Rozelle agreed. The league's publicity director recalled that the commissioner despised the word "super," because it didn't have any sophistication. Rozelle was evidently a "stickler on words and grammar." The game would be known as the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game."

That bulky title didn't last. People caught wind of Hunt's name and soon everyone, from media members to players, were calling the title game "the Super Bowl." The NFL was slow to adapt, though. It wasn't until the third game that the words "Super Bowl" appeared on the official game program and the fourth game when the phrase appeared on tickets.

As mentioned above, Michael MacCambridge's excellent "America's Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation" was the main reference for this blog post.

• 7 months later...

Is it too early to tell?

Do the Colts and Bears deserve their current power rankings?

Will either of them make it to the play-offs?

Can the Steekers be stopped? Why and how?

Whose current middle of September standings don’t show how good they really are and why?

Well if the Raiders don't win it, they should steal it. In honor of our good forum buddy Picky, and my repatriated detroit guy at work--I'll pull for the Lions. They're definitely onto something in that organization...finally.

Aren't we still owed something for that infernal "tuck" rule? I will go to my grave cursing the nfl for that abomination.

Well if the Raiders don't win it, they should steal it. In honor of our good forum buddy Picky, and my repatriated detroit guy at work--I'll pull for the Lions. They're definitely onto something in that organization...finally.

Aren't we still owed something for that infernal "tuck" rule? I will go to my grave cursing the nfl for that abomination.

what a hatchet job that was. still burns me up too. should have been the raiders in that superbowl not the pats.

• 4 weeks later...

The Packers will go if they stay healthy, in particular Aaron Rogers he is the key. As for the AFC that is not clear. New England did not look real sharp this past week, but every team

has one of those weeks. In my heart I am hoping the Raiders would surprise everybody, but with losing Jason Campbell that may be impossible now.

In my heart I am hoping the Raiders would surprise everybody, but with losing Jason Campbell that may be impossible now.

don't give up yet BigCliff--Carson Palmer is coming to town and he's got a huge chip on his shoulder (which is usually a very good thing for an athlete).

In my heart I am hoping the Raiders would surprise everybody, but with losing Jason Campbell that may be impossible now.

don't give up yet BigCliff--Carson Palmer is coming to town and he's got a huge chip on his shoulder (which is usually a very good thing for an athlete).

That is great news well that should be big help, but It will take time to understand a new system hope it all works out.

That is great news well that should be big help, but It will take time to understand a new system hope it all works out

a couple of easy opponents and bye week will be a great help. also, palmer and hugh jackson have already worked together when jackson coached in cincy--so they have a working relationship already established--stuff like that shortens the learning curve.