Center channel speaker for CWIII's

Heideana

I'm starting to think about setting up a center channel in my hifi rig and not sure about what speaker to use for the center. My situation is that I don't have room for anything, but perhaps a small Reference bookshelf...yes, I know it should be another CW, but I don't have the room.

How bad is it to use a way smaller speaker for a center channel and which of the Reference line would folks suggest as the best match for CWIII's?

OK mixing lines just is not a really viable option, been there done that. A heritage/reference mix is tolerable at best IMO. If you cannot support the addition of another CWIII, the perfect solution, then your best bet is a Heresy III. If you cannot fit a Heresy in the mix Id avoid the center all together.

I'm starting to think about setting up a center channel in my hifi rig and not sure about what speaker to use for the center. My situation is that I don't have room for anything, but perhaps a small Reference bookshelf...yes, I know it should be another CW, but I don't have the room.

How bad is it to use a way smaller speaker for a center channel and which of the Reference line would folks suggest as the best match for CWIII's?

All you are trying to do is fill the gap because you have a lot of space between flanks, and you have little space, right? A center should be very much attenuated in two channel IMHO. So, would you consider building? A box with the CWlll mids and tweet (without a woofer) could be used to complete that "curtain of sound" PWK spoke of. Wouldn't take up much room. Again, IMO, a center in two channel, should not be heard , but only be there.

tc

Heideana,

A single Heresy would be the choice, I think with CW mains. One question that comes to mind about your setup... how far apart are your CW's?

I did a little work on setting up a center channel between Khorns. Tried a Heresy and LaScala and never really got happy with the results.

Haven't been completely sure what to make of it since so many folks REALLY enjoy the center channel. What I have wondered, and don't know for sure, is if it works better in rooms where there is a considerable distance between the R and L mains. If my understanding is correct, Mr. PWK wanted to use a center when the L and R were far enough apart that the listener discerned a "hole" in the middle if there was no center to fill in.

In my listening room, the corners were just right for a pair of Khorns. They performed magnificently in straight out two channel with a full sound stage. To my ears, in my room, the center channel was o.k., but not what I'd call an improvement. I was curious as to whether I would have been better pleased with the result in another room, but never found out.

It would be nice if there's a forum member to send a single Heresy for you to check it out. It just might be your cup of tea.

Thanks all...I'm just starting to float ideas around, like I usually do...life is kinda psychedelic at any given moment!

My CWIII's are barely 6 ft. apart and since I don't really have an obvious hole, it sounds like I don't really need to consider a center channel, eh? I think I was thinking in Terry's vein of thought about having an attentuated center channel...just enough volume to flesh it out a bit more.

It also sounds like its' a definite no, no to mix/match....I'll put the idea on hold for awhile...

I have two extra empty CW cabinets here. Member Popbumper has CNC router and has manufactured a 'vertical' motorboard. It is possible to retrofit a CW cabinet to the vertical style for use as a center channel speaker.

That's my plan anyway. I have 7 matching CW's here for my future HT room.

Michael

I think some folks here go WAY over the top on timbre matching.

The RC-7 works just fine with a LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy system (of course, I think wire is wire, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt). How good is your hearing, anyway?

If you'd like to hear first hand, I'm up in Santa Rosa.

James

The RC-7 works just fine with a LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy system (of course, I think wire is wire, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt). How good is your hearing, anyway?

James

I used to have an RC7 with my Cornwalls. The KLF-C7 is much better match. For serious HT, timbre makes a huge difference when sounds are travelling across the front soundstage. Just my .02- it took Indy like 18 months to get me to see the light on this point. Yes, close counts- but Heritage and Reference are about as far apart as you can get in the Klipsch line-up.

Michael

James

I too think wire is wire, but have you ever heard the difference between perfect and close timbre matching?

I was about ready to give up on multichannel until I heard identical speakers all around...

I agree, identical speakers all around would be ideal.

My point, however, is that, in the real world, close enough often works pretty well - especially when you have space constraints (as I'm sure Heideana has living in SF).

I'm running LaScala fronts, Heresy surrounds, and Cornwall rears with an RC7 center. It sounds better than about 99.5% of the other systems I've heard. Of course, I'm listening to music about 95% of the time - usually (horror of horrors) in 6 channel stereo. If I want to watch a movie, I just punch in the amp for the RC7. Works for me...sometimes good enough is good enough.

James