Happy Birthday Michael

colterphoto1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Heresies in there and they were too 'shouty'.

Michael

Probably not HIIs then. They seem a lot more balanced to me. They still sound better when cranked, though.

Are you goona get paid in speakers or dollars when you start the new job. [:)]

You still headed down to Louisiana...?

Bruce

Happy Happy Mr Michael, I'm in the process of getting a few pair of older speakers back into proper condition, hopefully I can make a swap such as yours once completed.

Then again, once I get them finished, I may want to keep the Advents and Dahlquists for myself?!?!

Yup, that's always a danger. Once you get your own sweat on 'em, tough to let 'em go.

I'm packing up the CW-BR's right now- don't think I ever even had these in the house. They're some Doc brought me, either Mike Spaaaz's or some from Minnesota that were destined for Rick 3Dzapper, but could never get further than Chicago.

I'll be left with the following CW's:

the verticals 63's in beat up WO, with original cane grilles

my first Klipsch speakers also WO, that survived house fire

another pair of WO, in much better shape (the other pair from the above Doc shipments)

a single BR from Thumplestiltskin, which with PopBumpers's Vert motor board, will be my center.

That's 7, more than any guy needs. Plan on reveneering at least 5 to match for HT. Maybe a set of Heresies to go with them for 7.1.

So at one point I had 8 working CW's and 3 extra bins. That's a lot of real estate in the gar.

I still have the two empty CW-WO bins from Jay at Klipsch- destined to make center CW's for two lucky Forum members.

Looking forward to my first ever listen to any Forte speaker. THey'll be powered by the HK 730 in my office. Hope they blow the Dahlquist away!

Be back in a couple hours!

Michael

arrrghh, One hour and 20 minutes later...

I have the CW BR's loaded up, it's misty rain- figure I've had em in the garage and they need tested before I trade em, right? Back the truck up under the garage door to stay dry, have banana plugs daisy chained the 30 feet or so to the main rack for test signal.

One works fine, the other inop- open in up, aha, now I recall. Doc and I had this open because tweeter was inop, fine I have other alnicos, so swap one in there. I also used the mid horn to teach Doc the rope-caulk trick. Durn, I'm sure we only did the one. A quick call to my Forte Guy and he wants em original. Don't blame him. So open the other, it's no-roped.

Luckily I have a spare set of CW K600/K55V horn/driver combos around, so I swap a MATCHED set into the BR cabinets. Never know when you'll need a matched set of CW horn drivers, eh BEC?

So.....

I'm finally on my way to swap out for those Fortes.... whew..

But I feel good, I'm trading a nice set of pretty clean BR's with only light oil applied and a couple top stains with all original matching parts.

NOW, I'll see ya in a couple of hours. whew!

Michael

Well, that was interesting. Got to Harry's and one tweeter in CW was dead! I thought I'd checked them both out. But we swapped out, listened to a CW and FII together at his place. I thought the FII was smoother mids and deeper bass in his apartment room. That is about the same size as my office so I should be in good shape.

So he came back here, I dug another Alnico K77 out of my parts bin, we tested it and visited a while. Interesting fellow, trades on Ebay quite a bit and has a very eccectric collection of speakers at his place, much wider range than what I own.

Harry is a CW guy, so he's happy. I have a new Klipsch speaker I've never owed before so I'm happy.

It took most of the day but it was a good trade.

And Arf and Bark- he sez HI to you to!

Michael

Happy B-day to you!

"But what a schweeeeet sound from those Tractrix horns... "

I trust this is a positive response? [:)]

P.S. Thanks for the CW dedication...can you believe CW's were the one Klipsch speaker I didn't know anything about before coming under the Forum's influence...now look at me. I can't imagine listening to anything besides my CW for very long...[8]