Tube Break In

jcmusic

Jay,

I've found that when switching out tubes to allow at least 30-50 hours before they "settle-in" to their own sound. At least a steady, somewhat consistant, sound, that is. As you know, a tube will go through many sound changes throughout its life, some tubes offering greater harmonics and tone right up until their death... a-la black-plate RCA's and Tung-Sols, for example. That's the beauty of tube electronics.

William

For the amperex, unless you bought them from a credible source as true NOS, I would check them often for emissions. I have had a large number of the amperex 6dj8 (various "version" from several sources), which tested just fine when I put them into use, go gassy....one taking a rather expensive amp with it....

I did get the Amperex from a credible source, IMO he may very well be the best out there. He has a lab like no other I've seen or heard of, one man show does all his own work. Has been very dependable so far, sometime he is a little on the slow side; but that's ok. If he has what I want I will get it from him before anyone else.

Jay

Jay,

Yes, Andy is the man. He is my ONLY source for NOS tubes. Purchased my first pair of 1950 RCA black-plate 12AX7's from him several years ago. I can't tell you how many amps and preamps I've put these tubes into, or how many hours they have on them, but they still test and perform as new, and they sound better the more I use them.

On the flip-side, I utilize Doug's tubes for all the current stuff. Doug is a straight shooter, as well, and has never steered me wrong. I am really loving the re-issue Tung-Sol 12AX7s and Groove Tubes 12AX7-Ms he recommended. I feel they are the finest sounding, current production (12AX7) tubes out there (JMHO). I like them so much I now leave the top off my Quicksilver preamp so I can swap them out more quickly. Between these two guys, there really is no other reason to shop elsewhere.

William