2 Way vs a 3 Way

jacksonbart

In my sojourns I was advised that a 4 way was best. The logic being that you could find drivers that were clearly most competent in bass, high bass, midrange and high frequency. A 4 way does not ask any speaker to perform where it is weak. Now getting the correct signal, in the proper phasing, etc... so that this arrangement is correctly driven is also necessary. S'pose this may be where the digital crossovers come into play.

Wouldn't that all depend on the selection of drivers? Or is your point that even the best can't do it in 3 so 4 is the optimal approach? Interesting, believe Wilson does it that way with the Alexandria model, except its Bass, midrange, Tweeter and Super Tweeter. Why not a 5 way? I am guessing dimishing returns, hence the idea of a single speaker being in theory the best approach, but perhaps not in practice.

Actually Bart it's not that I feel that 3 drivers can't do the job well it is that I heard from many others that 4 would do it better. These would be folks like Romy and John Hasquin who are no lightweights in this arena. As for me I do not know and I'm not advising as much as I'm sharing 2nd hand info. This advice led me to the JBL 2482 mid-range driver because it has a good performance shoulder well below the 450hz it cuts in at. I use a 3way set up and am extremely pleased with its performance.

two way

boy

Roy

Would you prefer a kinky two way (ie A pair of two speakers with a sub) better than a 3 waydesign in theory? or just a straight two way design?

Example: A Jub and a KW THX 120 or say an old fashioned RF7 and a RSW 15? in a pure design point full two full range speakers? Its a loaded question for sure. Just curious, I should mention in all cases I am thinking the sub (aka .5) is self powered with a room appriopriate cross over/ say 80 to 60 hz?

i would choose a jub with a couple of thx 120's or even one of the theater subs like the 884. remember it isn't just spl but how clean that spl is. the sub would have to keep up with the jub spl and then crossovered only where the jub dies out (around 35-40 Hz), so i could get all the impact out of the jub horn possible.

hey what happened to the sgt shultz lookalike picture? the one on there now is too scary!

I notice that we scarred Roy away....[:D]

I believe that PWK's holy grail was a two-way that had decent bass, hence the Jubi....

I'm not so sold on the mono sub thing from an existential stance...that is I think Dr. Who and the Bell lab are on the money about stereo bass in the "lived" sense and I can tell the bass is swirling all around me on a lot of Electric Ladyland cuts, even thought I'm not necessarily hearing it. I don't think its' what I'm hearing as much feeling the directional changes in air pressure from my CW's...almost like the bass was run thru a leslie on some of those cuts....

At least that's my two-cents...Cheers...Hopkins