Will it take off?

Coytee

I believe most airplane tires are 32 ply nitrogen filled tires. They will handle the conveyor belt no problem. I would even say that when the plane touches the ground has more stress then any conveyor belt because the tire goes from 0 mph to ~ 100 mph landing speed in mere seconds while going from no pressure to supporting the plane once it touches the ground. hence the whisp of smoke when it touches.

Well after further research it would seem aircraft tyres (tires) are rated in excess of 240 mph, so i would imagine the safety margin would allow speeds way in excess of this before failure. For my part i do'nt wanna be on any plane trying to land over this speed!!

Here's a suggestion. We pose the question in the form of a myth and send it in to Mythbusters of Discovery Channel fame. They will first make a small scale experiment, then a larger one, hopefully with a way to blow it up at the end.

I have been re-reading this thread for entertainment purposes and stumbled upon this. I forgot I suggested it. Enough other people actually took this course of action, however, I was disappointed they used someone else's plane and therefore could not make it explode...

After this is resolved, can we PLEASE solve the age old question of the Woodchuck and the amount of wood said woodchuck could chuck?

Is the woodchuck on a conveyor belt, designed to move as fast as the woodchuck chucks?

I've always wondered...

How much ground could a groundhog grind if a groundhog could grind ground?