Half height Jubilee?

PrestonTom

Tom. I have thought through with what you are trying to accomplish.

Having a Horn with an Fc of 40Hz or lower brings about a large footprint. The Jubilee was able to maintain about the same footprint as the Khorn as it moved to smaller drivers.

I feel the same thing can be done with a dual 10' woofers loaded 1/8 th space. You could have an Fc of around 48-50Hz. It would have the same shape as the Jubilee but scaled down some in H x W x D. It would easily be able to do two way and hit much lower than a La Scala.

Now this is total DIY. I sketched this up on paper and it works. It isn't a scaled down Jubilee. It is a complete new calculation from the throat to the mouth. Would be beautiful as a center or surrounds for the real Jubilee or stand alone.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bouncing this around in my head.

How feasible would it be to go one step further and try to remove another set of bends in the horn? For instance...what about taking each 8" driver and mounting them side by side and then rotating each 90 degrees so that they are magnet to magnet firing out towards the side. This gets rid of the bifurcation issues and reduces the amount of turning required. I bet you could pull a clean 2kHz.

Go one step further and spread the woofers out sideways to provide enough room for the HF horn to fit inbetween. Now you've got a compact coaxial design. Combined with slow slope crossovers and time-alignment, you could bust out some real cool control over the Q of the system throughout the midrange (where it's most important). The design would be a bit deep, so maybe it might be better suited for line-arrays...

• 12 years later...

I know it's really old thread but I'm puzled with similar idea. Jubille is large box, problematic to transport. But what about building a splited version and stack two single woofer boxes. It will behave same as "monolithic" two woofer version, right?

9 hours ago, Bacek said:

I know it's really old thread but I'm puzled with similar idea. Jubille is large box, problematic to transport. But what about building a splited version and stack two single woofer boxes. It will behave same as "monolithic" two woofer version, right?

Yes, It does work.

I made the frequency response measures and impedance plots and they look like the factory "monolithic versions". These were built about 13 years ago. 

By doing the half-height versions, you can also stack them for a "WTW" configuration. This minimizes some of the ceiling reflections, since the Tweeter ( the big K-402) is now away rom the ceiling and at ear height. For 7.5 - 8ft ceilings, this configuration also flattens some of the room problems with low bass. Also there seems to be an "added coherence" to the sound (difficult to explain, but easy to hear). 

There are pictures around somewhere that I have posted. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

If you are looking for a simpler project for the K-31's, you might consider a clone of the KLF 30's. It is the same pair of woofers in a ported box and geometry of the ports and cabinet volume have all be worked out for you. They crossover at about 700-800 Hz - although you might want to go higher. One could do a 2-way with them using a K-510 horn (and an active filter). 

Food for thought and good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

No definitely I'm not looking for simpler project. This weekend I was attending Audio Show in Warsaw. For the first time had opportunity to listen to KHorns. They are way better than La Scalas in "basement department". I was really impressed.

And if Jubs are even better then this is my way. But I need to be able to move them through narrow stairs case. So that is why splits idea came to my mind.

• Like 1