Phone service prices

Hofy

How bad is your local phone company nailing you for service? I have to pay $27 a month just to have the phone. Add in the calls and it is about $75 a month. I just wish we could choose local service like we can with long distance.c>

------------------

When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct Tape.

• Sad 1

Hofy, you should move back down to Madison!

I have a local phone company called TDS Metrocom. For $22 per month I get:

200 local calls

60 minutes of long distance (state/nation)

Caller ID

Call Waiting

3-way calling

Voice Mail box w/4 mail boxes

Unlisted/unpublished number

Additional long distance minutes are $.09/min

Then, I get 768K DSL from them for $35/month more.

My total bill never goes over $65 with DSL...

Sorry! Your acronym for GTE is quite accurate, eh?

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com

I'm also paying about $27 for basic service plus voice mail. I haven't chosen a long distance carrier yet, though I probably should. I'd like to get DSL but Ameritech can't wire up my apartment building for some strange reason frown.gif. And cable internet won't be available till next spring.

Don't even get me started on Ameritech...they must be the inbred cousins to GTE.

I had them before I switched to TDS- same problems you have; "we can't wire DSL to your house, blah, blah...we need to raise your phone rates (from $29/mo - $39/mo for local service), blah, blah.."

I switched to TDS and they fought with Ameritech for about 2 months (for access to my phone line- Ameritech owns all of the phonelines in Madison). When the switch finally went through, Ameritech started calling me almost weekly to get me to switch back. I asked TDS to put a block on Ameritech's # and haven't gotten a call from them since.

Bastards. I hate them!

sorry for the rant...whew...cool off...think happy thoughts..

------------------

PLEASE SEARCH THE GOD D@MN ARCHIVES BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION

I know what you mean, Hofy. Long Distance is the biggest money making scheme on the planet. The cost to telephone providers to add a coustomer is infinitely small compared to what they charge. Have you tried barganing? Call AT&T, ask them what they charge, and then call USWEST to see if they will beat it. My parent's got a rediculous deal doing this. The phone company's got nothing to lose, they are raking in profit no matter how much they charge.

And geekysteve, what's the beef with your Signiture?

------------------

A cookie is just a cookie, but a Fig Newton is fruit and cake.

My signature is a sign of pure frustration.

Sure, this section of the board has 15,000+ posts but I'd bet that over 60% of those posts are redundant. Look on the main page for any topic and you'll see the same subject discussed several times.

I don't know how the good folks at Klipsch can put up with such stupidity/ignorance. People need to read a little before they get all excited that they're on a bulletin board.

I mean, count the new threads that say "Static"...

Sorry for the harshness, and it won't do any good but I have to try to do something.

------------------

PLEASE SEARCH THE GOD D@MN ARCHIVES BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION

Speaking of static, I've been getting this funny crackling noise every time I turn the volume knob. Does anybody know why . . . oh, nevermind.

About Ameritech again: my buddy tried for 3 months before Ameriturd finally got their act together and actually got around to installing his DSL. Of course, he's in the building next door to me and the buildings are the same since we share the same landlord. He can get DSL, I can't. Whatever. I might just buy him a router and send a cable across the courtyard to share his DSL line biggrin.gif That'll show those bastards!

We use Southwestern Bell here. The cost for 1-line basic service is $24. Each additional line is $13.50. The customer service is something to behold! It took 6 weeks to have a second line put in and for some strange reason we had to contact the Kansas City office to do so. After several phone-tag sessions,we threatened to hire a lawyer. We got that second line the next day.

As for long distance,we haven't paid for a single call in months. We use Speak4Free or I-Link Talk Free. We've managed to save about $40 a month this way.

• 20 years later...

Might be a little less than that @Tekk !

Ditched the home phone when I cut the cable three years ago, spec um wanted over two hundred dollars ($230) for what had been $160 that I was paying. Dropped them like a hot potato!!

Bought a roku, got gigabit internet so music streaming could be done while talking on the cell phones and the tv on in the other room. GoogleFi is $25 a month, the phone insurance is $8 over wifi anything is free, on a partners network its a dollar a gig for ten gigs. Since my phone can hook up to open wifi everywhere and do it's own vpn I get a few dollars refunded every month. Only issue is that roku started having commercials a year later.

I use Windstream which started out at $65.00 per month for land line and DSL. Raised the DSL to 10 megs and the land line for call waiting and free long distance and the bill went to $85.00 per month. It creeks up every month (For some reason on the three page bill) and now it's $93.00 per month. Woe is me.

JJK

17 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

LOL! I just saw that this thread was resurrected from 21 years ago. LOL! I just put 35 cents into the payphone and never even got an answering machine. Not even a dial tone. Who should I contact for a refund? LOL!

@JohnJ

Dang!

I swear it was on the right hand sidebar when I clicked on it:wacko:

I did not go digging for hours to find this, but from the moment i found that ProjectFi that changed names I've been happy with it!

Pay Phones???

What about the trash cans that used to be outside every store... or at least the restaurants!!

DumbDumbs preach ecological purity, then take away the darn trashcansheadbang.gif

43 minutes ago, Schu said:

about $100 month for Verizon with two Phones.

Too, too much.

Check and see if GoogleFi is available there @Schu 

Way better prices (T-Mobile & Verizon are who my phone jumps to when it needs a cell signal) and I didn't even root my last two phones from them. Partly because of the multi levels of the boot process making them a little more complex, other part is the newer launcher is that much better now!