Dish Network

Rsoxfan

I noticed my neighbor had a dish so i asked him about it he said he had dish network...loved it and the only time he lost signal was when snow was building up on it...So he called and complained and they set him up with a dish warmer...problem solved..

If I switch from cable to the dish I will gain alot more hd channels but I will lose the ability to view the on demand that my neighbors order..my tv pulls there signal in...kinda cool actually..

• Moderators

I noticed my neighbor had a dish so i asked him about it he said he had dish network...loved it and the only time he lost signal was when snow was building up on it...So he called and complained and they set him up with a dish warmer...problem solved..

If I switch from cable to the dish I will gain alot more hd channels but I will lose the ability to view the on demand that my neighbors order..my tv pulls there signal in...kinda cool actually..

Dish does offer pay for view, but you would have to pay for that yourself. I think you will be much happier with Dish than cable. I don't think you will ever switch back. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Dish for 10 years or so though haven't gone HD yet. Very satisfied. If it rains I lose the signal for +/- 3 minutes. Annoying but a necessary evil I suppose.

Dish Network's HD package, Voom, is worth the money, IMO.

You might want to try it out Arky.

A lot of good concerts.[:)]

One thing, don't call DishNetwork at night, hardly anyone speaks English. And...sometimes you have to "operator shop" with them, they must have a high turnover rate.

Once our service was established everything went smoothly.

I have a plasma being delivered Tuesday so i'll upgrade to HD shortly. I have an old (18yrs) Toshiba rptv that just won't die & I have been holding out.

How is the sound quality on the concerts? I guess DD 5.1 at best.

JT

The sound quality is very close to a DVD, It is 5.1, never really looked to see if it is ever 6.1. Watching John Mayer right now on Rave, on HDNET Sunday night they have some music specials, STYX is playing " one with everything" is the name of the concert from 8 to 10 pm. Robert Plant is on Rave next for an hour show, seen part of it last week, good show, probably look for the DVD.

The plasma & HD box are now in use. The VIP 622 receiver is pretty neat. One box with 2 tuners (only 1 carrying a HD signal). It displays tons more info than my old box & the picture is incredible, even enhanced the 2nd TV (SD) video quality.

I don't see Voom as a specific pkg. Looks like I get 24 HD channels. HDnet has some music & RAVE is all concerts, am I missing any other concert channels?

Thanks

BTW...did you know you guys are gonna get married soon?[:P]

I had Dish Network a few years ago and now have Directv.........I must say that I thought theDish Network had better HD service than Directv, better customer service and the equipment was better, ie.......channels chnaged faster and I didn't have to reset boxes as much. The only reason I changed to Directv was NFL Sunday Ticket, if not for that, I would still be a Dish subscriber.

• Moderators

I've been using Dish for 10 years or so though haven't gone HD yet. Very satisfied. If it rains I lose the signal for +/- 3 minutes. Annoying but a necessary evil I suppose.

Dish Network's HD package, Voom, is worth the money, IMO.

You might want to try it out Arky.

A lot of good concerts.[:)]

One thing, don't call DishNetwork at night, hardly anyone speaks English. And...sometimes you have to "operator shop" with them, they must have a high turnover rate.

Once our service was established everything went smoothly.

I have a plasma being delivered Tuesday so i'll upgrade to HD shortly. I have an old (18yrs) Toshiba rptv that just won't die & I have been holding out.

How is the sound quality on the concerts? I guess DD 5.1 at best.

JT

The sound quality is very close to a DVD, It is 5.1, never really looked to see if it is ever 6.1. Watching John Mayer right now on Rave, on HDNET Sunday night they have some music specials, STYX is playing " one with everything" is the name of the concert from 8 to 10 pm. Robert Plant is on Rave next for an hour show, seen part of it last week, good show, probably look for the DVD.

The plasma & HD box are now in use. The VIP 622 receiver is pretty neat. One box with 2 tuners (only 1 carrying a HD signal). It displays tons more info than my old box & the picture is incredible, even enhanced the 2nd TV (SD) video quality.

I don't see Voom as a specific pkg. Looks like I get 24 HD channels. HDnet has some music & RAVE is all concerts, am I missing any other concert channels?

Thanks

BTW...did you know you guys are gonna get married soon?[:P]

That's about it, HDnet has some music on Sunday night and occasionally there is some music on other channels. Dish just has some of the channels left over from when Voom went out of business, but I don't think they call it the Voom pkg. It's sad that the the way the new HD TV's are being pushed there is not more programing in HD. 24 Hd channels, I need to go check how many I get . sounds like I am missing a few , do you get locals in HD ?

You will ahve sidebars unless they are actually braodcasting a HD program, one of the quirks with HD channels, they don't always broadcast HD signals or programs....if you watch sportscenter on ESPNHD, you will notice in the studio is HD, when they show a highlight or clip it will usually switch to Sd and hence the sidebars...hope this made sense!

It was about $75 at radio shack. You might want to go to Antennaweb and enter your address to see what antenna would work best at your location. Also, read through the AVS Forums here Little Rock, AR HDTV. Several Folks on there are using the Channel Master 4228 antenna and 7777 V/U preamp for pretty long range reception - provided you can get it high enough. Good luck!

David