Looking for a Center Channel....perhaps a KLF C7 or a KV-3? Need advice.

Pnambic

Wow, first of all, you guys have put together quite a repository of information. Nice work.

I just stumbled across the site while trying to do a bit of quick research. I currently have KG 5.2's for my fronts. I purchased them new back in college and just haven't been able to bring myself to let them go. At one point, I purchased a set of SB2.1's and SB 1.1's thinking that I would replace the 5.2's with a nice sub (I was looking at Velodynes at the time), but then times got tough, money got tight, and spending money on the HT was definitely not going to get the OK from the wife.

Since then, I've used a SB 2.1 as a center (left the other in its box) and the SB 1.1's as surrounds. Its gotten the job done, but its clearly not the optimal setup. Looking on the board here, the C7 seems to get pretty much universal praise. I haven't seen too many mentions of the KV-3 (which was part of the same family as the 5.2's). Will the KV-3 match the 5.2's better, and therefore sound better as a group? Will the C7 blend just as well or overpower the setup?

BTW, the head unit is an Onkyo TX-SR502.

I'm intending to put the SB 2.1's in the back and maybe run the SB 1.1's out to the screened in porch out back. Maybe if I ever upgrade to a 7.1 system, I'll use them on the sides...

Now that I think of it, would it be worthwhile to use an SB 1.1 as a rear center? Could it handle it? Could I somehow use them both together as a rear channel?

No, if you hadn't already guessed, I'm not a professional AV guy, so I apologize if my questions seem un-ordered or noobish. I'm just trying to make the best with what I've got.

One final question: Any suggestions on where I mught be able to find either of these items? I'll keep an eye on E-Bay. Any other places? www.RockBottomPricesOnKlipschSpeakers.com? It looks like I just missed a good looking deal on a KV-3 that went for about $50 a couple weeks ago....dang it!

Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice you can offer.

- Dan

Actually, the KG 2.2V is the dedicated center for the 5.2 (and 4.2, 3.2, 2.2, 1.2) line. They are not uncommon on Ebay, and perhaps more commonly seen there than the KLF-C7. They go for around $100. I think one is being sold on Audiogon, as well. This specific recommendation presumes you need a videoshielded center to place atop a TV. If your center is not directly sitting on the TV (like on a shelf above or below), you could go with a nonshielded 4.2, 3.2, or 2.2; they can be had for a reasonable price, as all are sold often for less than $200/pr. Use the extra one for a rear center, if your receiver supports 6.1.

Dan,

I too use KG5.2's as my mains and I do use the KV-3 as my center and I think it sounds great. You will get alot of people saying use the KG-2.2V, and the KV series was not sold as a center for the KG line, but it was. At least it was when I bought mine. And the web site used to say the KV was a matching product, but it doesn't now, but the KG5.2 is a matching product for the KV-3.

I think they sound great together.

Steve

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Dan,

I too use KG5.2's as my mains and I do use the KV-3 as my center and I think it sounds great. You will get alot of people saying use the KG-2.2V, and the KV series was not sold as a center for the KG line, but it was. At least it was when I bought mine. And the web site used to say the KV was a matching product, but it doesn't now, but the KG5.2 is a matching product for the KV-3.

I stand partially corrected. On the page for the KG 5.2, it only lists the 1.2V and 2.2V as matching centers. But on the page for the KV-3, it is listed as a matching center for the 5.2 line. The KV cabinets were shaped like centers, with an adjustable stand on the back to angle it down if needed. The 2.2V had a traditional box shape like the 2.2, only shielded. The KV came along later ('94-'97) than the 2.2 ('92-'94). It appears that either would work fine as a center for your 5.2s.

I currently have a pair of walnut 5.5's, very similar to the 5.2's, which I bought to give to a friend. Those are some big, pretty, and great sounding speakers. Unless you have designs on completely rebuilding your home theater, I would definitely keep them and build around them.

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know about the 2.2's, nor the "V" indicating that the speaker was sheilded to use as a center. Great info. Are plasma tv's as susceptble to magnetic interference as normal tube designs? I couldn't find the 2.2's on Audiogon right off the bat, but I'll keep checking.

I speak only from my memory of perusing Ebay for several years, but I

think $200 might be on the high side. I seem to recall KV-1's and

KV-2's going for less than $100, KV-3's maybe $100-$150. Hopefully

other forum members will add their experiences. I have seen KG 2.2V's

go for a bit less than $100, and I sold a mint walnut model recently

for $100. (In Homer Simpson's voice: Mmm, mint walnut...)

EDIT: here is an auction for a KV-3, only $20 bid with 5 hours to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KV3-Center-channel-Box_W0QQitemZ270055756670QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3276QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice find Richard and thanks. Snagged that KV-3 (had to use my wife's ebay account since its been so long since I've used mine, I couldn't remember how to get in) but I got it, and for less than $100 including shipping. I'm pleased.

- Dan

(again, in Homer's voice) Woo-hoo!

OK, I'll stop.

Seriously, I am very glad for you. The planets must be in alignment or something, for it all to work out within one day. Now, you need to pick up some 2.2s, 3.2s, or 4.2s for rear surrounds and a perfect timbre-matched system.[;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, that's not the way things are supposed to happen. Can you determine exactly where the buzzing comes from? left woofer? right woofer? tweeter? cabinet? Are any screws loose which hold the speakers in their mountings? Is it definitely coming out of the speaker itself, or from around it, like a resonance is causing other objects to buzz? (Update: I looked at the auction page and the seller explicitly said it did not buzz! What are the odds?)

Have you contacted the seller about it? If the auction stated that the speaker works as it is supposed to, but it clearly does not, then the seller should take responsibility. I hope that you don't have to just eat the cost. (Update: I also looked at the seller's feedback, and in the few cases of negative feedback due to nonfunctioning items, he appeared to issue refunds to unhappy buyers; maybe an OK seller).

For what its worth, I saw that right after you bought yours, three other KV-3s were listed on Ebay, two of them with "buy-it-now" prices for $75 + $20 shipping, so what you paid was on target for that model.

The buzzing is clearly coming from the right woofer. Anyone have a spare K-1019-SV sitting around collecting dust? Anyone know of a source where I could buy one? My google search turned up zilch.

The ebayer said I could return it and get my money back, but its about $25 shipping and like Richard said, the ad said it was tested....can't say I completely trust him.

Someone is selling what they claim to be a 2 woofer/tweeter Klipsch center channel kit here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Foster-Bookshelf-Center-Channel-Kit-Hi-Output_W0QQitemZ230061760896QQihZ013QQcategoryZ14992QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But its for a smaller center channel. Are those legit replacement speakers? He doesn't appear to have the larger setup for sale at the moment.

Help please!

I have seen those Klipsch-Foster kits on Ebay for a long time, but I don't recall them ever being discussed on the forum at all. You definitely don't want to buy a kit with a smaller woofer. The price seems awfully low for "quality" speakers. I would not want a cobbled-together center, when a legit and fully functional one can be had for $75-$100. Have you contacted Klipsch customer service about any replacements? (being for a discontinued center speaker, it would be a long shot).

If it were me, I would return the speaker to the seller for a refund, taking the position that he sold me a defective speaker (regardless of his claim of "testing" prior to the sale). Also, I would rather "live and learn" a lesson for $25 than $100. There are many other opportunities for KV3s and KG2.2Vs, either now or to come on Ebay, maybe also on Audiogon (there they are mostly audio enthusiasts, not generic auctioneers or resellers, like on Ebay, and not likely to sell nonfunctioning speakers).

I hope this works out for you soon. It is not fun to end up with a bad Ebay sale, when you just wanted to add a relatively low cost speaker.

I think you'll find the KV-3 will work fine. Around $100 or a litlle more is about the going rate for a black one. The oak ones might approach $200. They are much less common. Talk to the seller about helping out on the return shipping. You should not have to foot the bill if it doesn't work. (and buzzing qualifies as "doesn't work.")

I'll echo RichardP re not cobbling together a center speaker. It's too important to the sound to be patched up. You should be able to find a reasonable functioning KV-3. Also I wouldn't think about going down to KV-1 or KV-2's. You'll need at least a KV-3 to keep up with your 5.2's