Pure madness Anybody in for a little challenge?

TheEAR

for some odd reason I think the beast will best the gotham.....

hmmmm drivers = same excursion ~ 40 mm

but the beast has dual 18 v dual 13

the beast has 4 tuned 18 inch pr v sealed

the beast has eq and in room, so does the gotham

beast gives you optional future upgrade to add two amp (8000 watts) rms to dual subs (4000 a piece)

Also one more thing the beast you get two subwoofers not one like the gotham.......

I think the beast will win

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheBeast will have more output,a good deal more as it will move several times more air. The match is simple,even sealed and using "only" two 18" LMS-5400 woofers it would outdisplace the Gotham almost twice! And here we have four woofers and ...eight PR's to help down deep where it counts most! No constes in displacement.

Where the Gotham like the Fathom subs have so far no equal is SOUND QUALITY. All this while still providing massive air moving capabilities.

It will be fun,that is for sure. [;)]

I'm not too sure about this so I wanted to check with the
experts....I belive the beast will outperform even the Wilson XS...does
anyone else agree? I mean I have no doubt there will be no comparison
in output as the beast will run over the XS, but I mean in extension.
The Wilson has been said to dig to 12hz and lower with gobs of output.
Does anyone think the beast will best that?

Wilson XS,dual 18 inch Aura woofers classic porting,TheBeast four 18 inch woofers with much greater displacement,four PRs ...will trounce an XS in output at any frequency.

Compare the drivers used,the new LMS-5400 has simply no competition when it comes to linear displacement,there is no contest. Also TheBeast is dual cabinets(four active,eight PRs).

I'm not too sure about this so I wanted to check with the

experts....I belive the beast will outperform even the Wilson XS...does

anyone else agree? I mean I have no doubt there will be no comparison

in output as the beast will run over the XS, but I mean in extension.

The Wilson has been said to dig to 12hz and lower with gobs of output.

Does anyone think the beast will best that?

wilson xs was deep but was looks aged in the market now. It is not even sold anymore

TheBeast will have more output,a good deal more as it will move several times more air. The match is simple,even sealed and using "only" two 18" LMS-5400 woofers it would outdisplace the Gotham almost twice! And here we have four woofers and ...eight PR's to help down deep where it counts most! No constes in displacement.

Where the Gotham like the Fathom subs have so far no equal is SOUND QUALITY. All this while still providing massive air moving capabilities.

It will be fun,that is for sure. [;)]

the sound will most likely sound the same

say both subs are not distorting and both have nearly the same distortion levels, they will sound the same. No one likes to admit it but they will if the distortion level of both drivers are very low. And since the beasst has xmax and such I would say that the distortion is reduced do to that, the fact that it will outdisplace, there are two beasts, etc.

Bad day turns to worse...

After a nice food poinsoning last Friday,I decided to listen to some music today...

Noticed the lights on one of my JL f113 subs remained off. The sub plays the auto setup routine,demo works....no input signal will wake the damn thing!

....problem solved. And I have to say JL Audio customer service is top class,if there is a company to recomend for fast and pro service it is JL Audio.

My God; you folks must have 500 amp breaker boxes dedicated solely to audio...what's the current draw on a JL Audio GOTHAM at full power? !!!!

I do not have the Gotham yet,not out yet. The Gotham can draw over 20 AMPS from the outlet,more than a conventional outlet can provide(15 AMPS breaker). You simply must have a few dedicated lines in a serious HT setup.

MON DEUX, that's INSANE.......now, I can understand 16V automotive requirements, but for Home Theatre??????

Thank GOD for surge protectors (lol), as I can imagine what a nice spike would do!

Hey ear, now I know you're a CONFIRMED JL man, but how do you think a 15" JBL Pro Power (GTI, same diff) would work @ 6ohms in these Cornwall cabinets. Forget about the network for a moment, but I think the 3/4 ply would be strong enough to withstand the Sound pressure?

Klipsched,

I cannot say exactly as I do not know the JBL GTI woofers well,and replacing the original driver,the box is designed for by a more potent GTI is no recepie to better sound.

Darkside,

Yes we do,and there is always the apliance 230V 40AMP outlet to power huge power hungry monster components if you are creative.

...and to think those silly sound reinforcement folks haven't discovered car audio drivers...[*-)]

Oh, and for all those running on about hearing damage due to LF energy...nope! Excessive LF exposure does not cause tinnitus or hearing damage as does excessive MF/HF energy. Strangely enough, excessive LF energy contributes to respiratory problems.

Seriously, what would pro sound guys know about SPL anyway...??? [;)] Stupid Osha [*-)][:o]

Btw, would you happen to have any articles that talk about the 'damage' of LF energy? I'm doing a presentation for Engineering Open House this spring where we'll be doing demonstrations on low frequency and small room acoustics. Apparently we have to keep things under 90dB, but I'm hoping that's "A-Weighted" so we can blast the subs up to about 140dB at 30Hz just to show the huge impact of modes [;)] But it would be nice to have some information to present so they can make an informed decision. I might need to make the analogy that wind is pretty much a 1Hz signal playing at very very large amplitudes (would 150dB on a very windy day be too high of a prediction?)

DrWho are you aware of this? http://www.roger-russell.com/hearing/hearing.htm

Dr. - I've come to realization that you only go by what your ears tell you and don't believe in other crap. And this leads me to say that you care too much. If Jay or I think the 5400 looks nice, so be it, let us as it shouldn't affect you in anyway. Besides, it is exremely easy to ignore a post isn't it? You too ear, who cares that much about what other people think? Honestly...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the way something looks...or heck, enjoying anything for any reason. However, when making comments about sound quality all the other attributes don't matter at all.

And for the record, I go by my ears and good measurements (and to date the both coincide very well). I most certainly don't go by looks (as is evident by all my unfinished subs in my living room) and I don't go by predictions either (though I might use predictions for skepticism).

Dr. Klipsch says "If it sounds good but measures bad, you are measuring the wrong thing."

• 1 month later...

Soon yes,how soon? I am pondering what has become of the TC Sounds TheBEAST? I want TheBEAST more than the Gotham.

Four of the most capable TC Sounds super woofers and eight ubber displacement PR's = massive massive limitless depth and output in any size room. The TC Sounds LMS-5400 is pure sub goodness. I will have to build someting similar if TheBEAST does not apear for sale. I must own TC Sounds best. No way around it.

I am closer and closer to ordering a few TC-5200's 15 and 18" PR's and LMS-5400's. These are too damn sexy,kust looking at the pics I can hear them. Getting a Crown K2 locally and maybe two. I have to go all out this time and have a sub to end all subs(or what is realistic to this goal in a apartament!!!).

Long time I did not have an urge to DIY like this, And building a nice tank like MDF cabinets braced to the grills.