Resellers

tom67

I keep hearing the story about resellers removing serial numbers, thus providing source of discounted goods on the net. Seems to me that if any mfg wanted to avoid resellers, they would not rely soley on removable serial numbers...would be easy to imprint serial numbers on metal cones for example, so that removing it would require damaging speakers.....the mfg would obviously know where the speaker was originally sold....I have a hunch that the net has been a good source of liquidating overstock.....

It is also a problem with electronics, and they dont remove serial numbers. Manufactureres dont have the time or energy to do this, especially in the US with the thousands of dealers. In Canada unfortunately it is easier to control and as such we dont get many good deals. Stuck with the Futureshop and Best Buy family . But forget about getting a discount on the new Denon 3930 or other higher end gear.

The discounts are really the manufactuerers own fault because they set quotas to meet and have volume buy discounts. If a small shop wants to be competitive they have to buy the quantity to get the low price...then they pass overstock to the discounters.

Anyway.. have a good ThanksGiving weekend all my friends south of the border

I guess what I am getting at here is that It appears that, on the one hand, mfgs sincerely want to encourage purchase from authorized dealers. On the other hand, it appears they want an outlet for overstock when that suits their business interest. Klipsch has sued blatant etailers, but other etailers continue unabated sales. Naturally us consumers wonder whats going on.....again, it would appear to be easy to place serial numbers that could not be removed without adulterating the product....that way a company could easily tell when a product was resold by someone other than the original authorized dealer....realize that it is the manufacturers that are claiming that they only wish they could track the goods once they are delivered to authorized dealers...Hmm

its umm little known but companies (some and many, I do not know about klipsch) produce products that are meant to be sold at a lower deal. I remember because I live in the NY metro area that I was looking at ad one day for the Acura TL, normally this car is around 32000 but the car was 27000 at a brooklyn dealer. The dealer told me its the same car except the seats are not real leather and hence the cheaper price. This was a brand new car and legit tags and vin number just that the company made the car for non "Acura" dealerships to sell a bit lower.