heresy II vibration/distortion at 230 to 280 hz

wpines

Are they "used" from eBay, etc.? Assuming the test CD is good, your amp's good, etc. Number of things you can do to "narrow it down". First, swap speakers from left to right, put the "culprit" on the other side, etc. See if the other one does it now. If so, check and make sure they are sitting "square" on the floor or shelf. It could be resonating with whatever it's sitting on. Move them around and see if that helps. If so, put a small rolled up piece of duct tape on the bottom of the riser, or in each corner of the bottom panel, and see if that makes it less, or makes it go away. Finally, as a matter of routine (especially if you obtained them used, check and make sure the woofer retention screws (and the others) are tight. If not, pull the woofer and check and see if the woofer was removed and the gaskets are now not intact. Look inside (replace the woofer gaskets after this), and see if the "foam" piece is in there. If not, put a piece in and see if it goes away; it's a "foam rubber" 25" x 12" x about 3/4". Hope that helps.

I'd make sure that all of the drivers are good and tight on the motorboard. Also be sure that the rear cover is on good and tight as well. If they have been taken off too many times the holes might be honed. In that case you could fill the holes with wood putty or some people stuff a toothpicks in there with wood glue. Essentially you want to make sure your cabinets are sealed well. The heresy is not a ported design. You wouldn't believe the racket you woofers would make with just a half inch hole drilled in the cabinet. That's my take on your problem it doesn't sound electronic to me more like a mechanical defect. Good luck, Mark

Busy, almost forgot; when you look inside (if you have not isolated the problem by that point), pick up the speaker and gently turn it upside down, side to side. Don't shake it...... If the glue's dried out and there is a loose brace (I've seen it before on a pair of WO H-II's), that could also be vibrating around in the enclosure. The internal braces on the H-II vs the H-I were glued, not glued and stapled a' la' H-I. Also, pull out the terminal block on the back and check and make sure that the crossover components are tight and none of the "pieces" have broken off the little plastic poles, or come loose from the hot glue that was used to stick them on the plastic. Replace the gasket.....

I'd make sure that all of the drivers are good and tight on the motorboard. Also be sure that the rear cover is on good and tight as well. If they have been taken off too many times the holes might be honed. In that case you could fill the holes with wood putty or some people stuff a toothpicks in there with wood glue. Essentially you want to make sure your cabinets are sealed well. The heresy is not a ported design. You wouldn't believe the racket you woofers would make with just a half inch hole drilled in the cabinet. That's my take on your problem it doesn't sound electronic to me more like a mechanical defect. Good luck, Mark

Mark, you have email

turned it upside down and shook it, checked all of the screws, looked for holes, everthings tight. I bought these used fron the original owner. He had the receipts and all. Everthing looks to be in good shape. Could it be a bad speaker? What's the best way to tell?

You need to be able to find the specific frequency that is causing the vibration. You can download a frequency generator for your computer and input that through an amp to the speaker. When you find the specific frequency that is causing the vibration or resonance, you can leave that frequency playing and try to figure out by feel what on the speaker is vibrating. Last time I had something similiar happen, turned out to be the midrange horn which was already tight but needed to be tighter.

Bob Crites

Everything else checked out ok, we assume; swapped left to right, isolated cabinet from whatever it's sitting on, etc.?

Before you go further (and I hate to say this, but you might want to pull the woofer out and check it. Gasket is 1/2" wide, thin, closed cell weather stripping, so at worst, you will have to run to Home Depot or even Walmart today.

Could be a problem with the woofer.... But, does this happen ONLY with the test program you say you downloaded? Or does it happen when you play something that you know how it's supposed to sound like also? Could the test program being doing something you don't know about?

Please let everyone know what you discover as you go.

I'm sitting here with a K-24 on my desk, so if you want you can PM me and we can talk over the phone.

Switched speaker positions and it seemed to follow the speaker using the test I had downloaded. I downloaded a test tone program per the recommendations here and now It will not repeat. I've heard it on occasion while listening to music so the source is also suspect. I have an old Yamaha R8 receiver and the volume and balance knobs cut out on occasion. I've purchased a Sophia Baby tube amp which should be arriving shortly and I'll let y'all know what happens. Thank for your help.