Cornwalls for sale - What do you guys think?

suntzu

Suntzu,

They are Cornwall I's which are the preferred model of several Klipsch fans. The seller has original manual and sales documentation. The CWL designation usually means they're Cornwalls with Klipsch's premium Walnut Lacquer (WL) Finish. They also have consecutive serial numbers which indicates they are a matched pair. Should you have additional questions or concerns, it never hurts to email them to the seller from their ebay listing.

Hope the above is of some use.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

Suntzu,

They are Cornwall I's which are the preferred model of several Klipsch fans. The seller has original manual and sales documentation. The CWL designation usually means they're Cornwalls with Klipsch's premium Walnut Lacquer (WL) Finish. They also have consecutive serial numbers which indicates they are a matched pair. Should you have additional questions or concerns, it never hurts to email them to the seller from their ebay listing.

Hope the above is of some use.

Wes

Thanks for replying Wes. Sorry I should have posted the link. Its this pair of Cornwalls that I am interested in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1300733820&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1007002046&indexURL=0&rd=1

Seems to be in good condition, I'm just not sure of the interior of the speakers cos there are no photos.

Darn I really want a pair of Corns!

Suntzu,

I think the Cornwalls look great. I wouldn't worry too much about looking at the interiors (I never even looked inside of the ones I owned).

I would be a bit leery of the seller though. Have you checked out his feedback? He does have a few negatives and evidently he was involved in some shill bidding on one of his auctions.

I would definately email him and/or call him to discuss the speakers. Ask him what the serial #'s are to confirm the year they were manufactured. Feel him out and see if he seems like someone you want to do business with.

Good luck! Cornwalls are awesome speakers!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 11-28-2001 at 08:32 AM

suntzu,

Thanks for posting the link. Your link was not the pair that I commented on. Here's a link to the pair

that I made reference to in my previous post: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1302421113.

I'd follow the advice in the previous post regarding the pair in your link.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-28-2001 at 08:55 AM

I'd be a bit concerned about shipping costs from Nashville to Singapore. How long have you been looking for Cornwalls? Any of 'em closer to home? (Although it's not as if there aren't plenty of ships going that way every day...)

fini

Hi Guys,

When they said this forum was helpful, they were not kidding. Thanks for all the advice.

edster - Yeah, the seller won't open up the back of the speakers, however he did take photos of the serial #s. They are 33x218 and 33x219. So I guess they really are Cornwall 1s. I've been in touch with him and he seems honest.

shapeshifter - thanks for the advice.

fini - you are absolutely right. Shipping will cost me a bomb. However, it is very difficult to find a pair of Cornwalls in this part of the world. The darn things are so heavy nobody bothers to bring them in. Well they should, its a crying shame there aren't more of these beauties around. Most speakers sold here in Singapore are British ones like Tannoy, KEF type bookshelf speakers. I personally want some good ole' American horn speakers like the Corns which will make their presence felt in my living room! Smile.gif(thank goodness I have an understanding partner)

Well, wish me luck. I'll keep you guys posted.

Suntzu, I bought and sold a few pairs of Cornwalls. The $850 price is just about the market average; if you are serious about buying them, I would absolutely insist that he take the 5 minutes to open the backs and photograph them, otherwise pass on them. The shipping via boat is going to cost you $300-$500 probably, so you want to be sure you're shipping what you paid for. My first pair of Cornwalls had the tweeters disconnected, and I later discovered they were blown altoghether and I had to replace the diaphragms; it wasn't a big deal but it taught me to be cautious.

My recommendation would be to pass on this pair and wait on a pair of very early Cornwalls with the vertical horns. They sound lovely, have the smooth B-series networks and are genuinely collectors items. You'll have to be vigilent given that they always go quickly, and usually for about $1000-1150. However, given that you're going to pay a lot for shipping, get the best Cornwalls ever made and you'll be very happy.

Good luck!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Like I don't have enough speakers at home ... we'll here goes: are the cornwall's a huge improvement over the chorus speakers? - since i have 2 pairs of chorus II's I can sell the one i'm not using and get my hands on some cornwall's. anyone bold enough to say yes .. go for it!!! but you'd have to explain why ... thanks.

This message has been edited by discusman on 11-28-2001 at 08:30 PM

Shapeshifter:

Thanks for posting the link to my Cornwalls.

They sold last night to a local person for $850, which was what I was asking. More thank I paid for them, but as you say, an average price, considering they are not in mint condition.

I know I am going to miss them, but at least I have the K-horns.

Mike

Jeremy, is that you? I decided to keep my cornwalls and buy a pair of heresy's to go with them. If your not Jeremy, have you thought about buying the drivers and cross over and have them shipped to you and have the cabinets built in Singapore? Just a thought.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by P Ward:

Jeremy, is that you? I decided to keep my cornwalls and buy a pair of heresy's to go with them. If your not Jeremy, have you thought about buying the drivers and cross over and have them shipped to you and have the cabinets built in Singapore? Just a thought.

Paul

Hi P Ward. Yes it is me. I had thought about buying the drivers and crossovers but I guess it was just a question of price. Also I wasn't sure I could get a capable carpenter to build the cabinets for me. I appreciate your help though.

Good luck with your sale. I'm sure you'll find a good owner for your Corns in no time...