This Forum is BORING...

edwinr

Groomlakearea51 wrote the following post at 11-29-2006 7:53 PM:

"So... Spank me,..... Beat me, bite me, burn me, talk dirty, chain me to a tree, but.. respect me in the morning (and don't take that last piece of pizza, and while you're up, get that keg out of the pool... I paid a deposit on that bad boy, fer' goodness sakes!!!). Politically correct version - I'm talking to a non-gender challenged female (my wife with a rolling pin in her hands...) who just walked in on this post gave me the really "that ain't funny, don't even think about it" look.."

Well, we know who wears the pants in HIS house..and it aint him! LOL

We got LG with the Steam feature. We didn't buy it for the Steam feature, just the RPMs for spin, onboard water heater, etc. and I thought the Steam would be gimmicky and not work right. Tossed a BADLY wrinkled shirt in there and it popped out basically ironed. We both liked the build quality on them compared to Whirlpool, etc. Solid hinges, doors go thump, etc.

Mieles are great though if you can swing them. Kinda small capacity by USA standards tho. They also use an incredibly little amount of soap. I didn't get the pedestals cuz they're a rip off, but I raised them up a bit (5" or so) in case of any water issues and I can put a laundry basket under the doors nicely. It's nice to have the top surface area for folding, etc. or be able to put a countertop over them. It's actually been a surprisingly pleasant life-changer. Those little things.

• Moderators

I got a new front load washer & dryer. Sometimes, when in the area, I'll pop in the room just to gaze upon them and say Hi.

Where's Mr. Parrot?

We also have a front load washer and dryer. Whirlpool duet system. It is much more efficient that the top loaders. Comforters, blankets...all fit into the washer and come out clean with no problems.

We purchased the "Duet" right after Katrina (when our houseguests became residents). The Duet services laundry for nine and does a real good job of keeping up. The large washing capacity sure helps.

We also did not purchased the "pedestals", they are a rip off. Clothes baskets fit nicely under the doors, just like Meagain said.

Now...if only they could fold and put away the clothes for you...[*-)] Actually, I am particular about my laundry so that may not be a good idea.

Jeff, it's good to hear from you again.

DWI, the Mercedes.

Dont talk to me about the damn car!

Just got it back from 3 months in the garage being repaired (big shunt).

Get in on Saturday morning and notice passenger side front window is open slightly (your window is ajar - lets not go there - an old car that talked).

Anyway - press the button to wind it up and it promptly drops like a stone into the door. No button pressing will yield a result - although the motor is working.

Bugger!!

Figure out how to get the panel off - and remove the speaker from the front door to be able to get to the mechanism. There is a small piece of plastic (guess 10 cents worth) that the motor connects to in the mechanism - its broke and no obvious way to fix it.

Go to garage on Monday morning (having proped the window in place with a pair of screwdrivers) and tell them I need this plastic bit.

How much can that be - $5? Oh no - they dont sell the plastic bit. They dont sell the entire mechanism either - only the entire mechanism with the motor. How much? $420!!!! And another $250 to fit it.

Anyway I got the fitting down to $50 but still had to pay the parts. Goddammed cars!!!

Oh - go for the Lincoln. I have been seriously unimpressed with Mercedes of late - their build quality is nothing like it used to be.

My wife and I went to a wedding in Sydney the other weekend. We got caught in the rain on the walk back to the car. My wife took a shot of us standing under a tree while the rainstorm passed. It's not a bad shot considering she was holding the camera with one hand!

post-15368-13819317385056_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It used to be so festive "spanking" a newbie for writing something absurd. Does political correctness eventually ruin everything?

Ok... Lets go for it; "Git 'er done": Solid State amps are the best; Tubes suck and those little "glowing: things burn my fingers anyways... The best way to use all your Klipsch stuff is to put them in a really, really, huge big pile facing you at about 3 feet away (you need that 1 watt at 1 meter thing anyways); turn everything up to volume nine, sit in the middle with all your rowdy friends, and put the keg at stereo center (very important as to not alter your "sweet spot" when trying to get a refill, throw on Lynerd Skynerd's "Sweet Home Alabama"; and make sure everyone's got them blow-up air guitars. If it don't sound right, turn it up some more....... [H][<:o)]

So... Spank me,..... Beat me, bite me, burn me, talk dirty, chain me to a tree, but.. respect me in the morning (and don't take that last piece of pizza, and while you're up, get that keg out of the pool... I paid a deposit on that bad boy, fer' goodness sakes!!!). Politically correct version - I'm talking to a non-gender challenged female (my wife with a rolling pin in her hands...) who just walked in on this post gave me the really "that ain't funny, don't even think about it" look...[6]

Oh well.....

Hey Groomlake,

Let us know when you guys decide what night you will be staying in "our neck of the woods". I probably need to make reservations for you and the family within the next week or so. I don't know what the "demand" for rooms will be in Picayune, MS for January 1 or 2.[:D]

We will have to listen to that "pile" of nine speakers in our living room while you and the family are in town. I think we can "rustle up" a few beers. We may have a problem securing the "blow up guitars". [;)] Maybe some left over pvc pipe will work in lieu of the guitars?[;)]

Re: the front-loading washers, someone try explaining to Meagain the physics of gravity. Clothes cleaner???? Bah!

Jeffy! There you are! Let's get this party started baby.

Yes, I contend the clothes are cleaner. For one thing, it's my feeling, belief, understanding that they rinse/spin better thus removing more soap residue. Think about how a top loader rinses, then a front loader.

Whether you have a door on top or in front, water and clothes still always go down. Now, let's talk about how a front loader rinses. Water gets sprayed on soapy clothes, water goes down due to gravity, clothes get thrown into the soapy water as they spin. I would think a top loader would actually be better because the soapy water goes down while the clothes cling to the perimeter of the tub as it spins. The perimeter of the tub never goes through the soapy water at the bottom. Show me the money!!!!!

BTW: Re: dishwashers, always load silverware handle side up into the little baskets. That way, when you remove them after they wash, you don't have to touch the parts that go into people's mouths.

No no Jeff. I think you don't fully get how a front loader works. The clothes are flipped/tossed horizontally thus allowing the clean rinse water to hit every side/piece of the clothing. A top loader (at least the ones I've had), have the water dump from the top and either fill up again, or spin while water hits the top of the clothes and tries to trickle down. Another cool benefit is it's far more gentle on clothes. I expect my clothes to look good & last longer as they are not beat to death by an agitator. I can put special delicate items in there that I wouldn't dare in a top loader.

centrifugal force is much greater than the force of gravity when you're talking about draining the water out of rinsed clothes. Less detergent and water are used throughout the cycles because of the much greater action of clothes tumbling versus being sloshed about by the 'agitator'.

And in dishwashers, if you want the silverware to actually get clean, load them working end up. Regardless of who touches them afterwards, it doesn't matter if old food particles are still encrusted to them. Have you ever been camping Jeff?

Meagain, I don't know how they work, I guess. How are the clothes flipped/tossed horizontally without tossing them back into the soapy rinsewater?

Micheal, there is a cleaner right below the basket (at least on most if not all dishwashers). The spray from below will clean the eggs off of forks. Silverware should be placed face-down. However, I have to add this..... If anyone knows of a residential dishwasher that really takes leftover food off of dishes, let me know. I've never seen one in all my life. Unfortunately, I think a dishwasher is probably better called a dishrinser. I get all of the old food and beverage off of dishes before even putting them in the dishwasher.