Real and Imagined Sizes of Heritage and Jubilee Speakers

Islander

You can measure the size of a speaker, but what you measure is not always what you see. When I first saw my La Scalas in the vintage hi-fi shop, they looked huge. When they came off the delivery truck, they looked enormous. When they were positioned in the livingroom, they looked really big.

Now, after a few months of living with them, they just look sort of large. Does this happen to everyone?

Pat on the Island

There is another effect and it takes a few weeks to take effect: Heritage owners stand a bit taller.

I do marvel at the pictures of PWK with his speakers. He was about 6' 4" in cowboy boots. No wonder the speakers look reasonably sized. I also suspect that the advertising drawings with women in 1960's style gowns were based on tall models in very high heels.

Gil

You can measure the size of a speaker, but what you measure is not always what you see. When I first saw my La Scalas in the vintage hi-fi shop, they looked huge. When they came off the delivery truck, they looked enormous. When they were positioned in the livingroom, they looked really big.

Now, after a few months of living with them, they just look sort of large. Does this happen to everyone?

Pat on the Island

Funny you should mention it because I swear today when I walked into the room with the Jubilees I thought to myself these don't seem so BIG!!!!!!

What was funny was when my girlfriend came over to see them for the first time and as she was looking at them for the first time I actually said they don't look as big as I thought they would in here and she turned toward me with a response of THEIR BIG! and a Smile!!!! What a GREAT WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

mike tn

Update to the site seems to have supressed the ability to use blue colored type... oh well...

When my new LS were delivered, the boxes seemed as large a wasjing machines (actually, that is just about how big they really are), and so did the speakers that came out. But, as time passed they seemed to get smaller and smaller. I used to have Heresys where the LS are now... the LS look perfectly normal size now.

Funny you should mention it because I swear today when I walked into the room with the Jubilees I thought to myself these don't seem so BIG!!!!!!

What was funny was when my girlfriend came over to see them for the first time and as she was looking at them for the first time I actually said they don't look as big as I thought they would in here and she turned toward me with a response of THEIR BIG! and a Smile!!!! What a GREAT WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

mike tn

Say Mike... didn't you want to swap women??? I know there are a couple complications involved....[6]

For those who think a LaScala is big... the HF horn on the Jubilee is actually LARGER than a LaScala, so imagine a LaScala turned on it's side, as your tweeter alone

[:o] [H] [:o] [H] [:o] [H]

coytee wrote:

For those who think a LaScala is big... the HF horn on the Jubilee is actually LARGER than a LaScala, so imagine a LaScala turned on it's side, as your tweeter alone

Yeow!!! (But I think a pair of Jubilees may be in my long-term plan...)

Pat on the Island

Pat,

If you can ever escape the island you're stuck on, you can come & imagine the size of the Jubilees for real...I'm in Knoxville (TN) and Mike is about 20 minutes away.

Interestingly enough (and non-related), I've got someone coming over this Saturday to give them a listen. They've not made any mention that I've noticed on the forum so I'll not talk about it/them unless they post their feelings afterwards.

For me it's a slow progression - I bought a 46" RPTV and thought it was massive. NOT. Then, my Academy center was replaced with a Forte...WOW. Then, the Fortes on the sides were replaced with Cornwalls - WOW. Now everything seems "about right", but I'm working on Dana's SLS plans, and the bass bins alone are bigger than the Corns. Should be interesting. Yup, this stuff definitely shrinks as time goes by; unfortunately, the weight does not, nor does the cost.

Chris

Stuck on Vancouver Island? Hah! This is the Florida of Canada. We don't want a bridge, cause it'll bring even more tourists than we already get!

Seriously, thanks for your hospitable offer, the invite is much appreciated, but I'm north of Seattle, and can see Port Angeles from my south windows, across the Juan de Fuca Strait, so it would be one heck of a long road trip. It would be great to see and hear your Jubilees, but for the forseeable future I'll have to satisfy myself with imagining how good they sound. Thanks again!

Pat on the Island

mike tn

Say Mike... didn't you want to swap women??? I know there are a couple complications involved....[6]

[:o] [H] [:o] [H] [:o] [H]

Braggart[:'(]

Gentlemen, do not forget the REAL OPERATIONAL FOOTPRINT required for these things. They actually take up MUCH MORE room than just their physical footprint!

Like the space in front and the side walls needed for "correct" wave propagation.

These things are all room-hogs. It's inherent in the design! No way around it physically speaking, except DENIAL.

We just "adjust" mentally to make them "acceptable". Some "adjust" more easily than others.

DM

My Jubiless are no larger than bookshelves (click heels twice)

damn... seems I still have some mental adjusting to do!!

[:D]

...I just wanted to give an additional thanks to the resident "he-men" of behemoth speakers (Coytee, D-Man) - last night I pulled my Forte center from off my TV and put my Cornscala up there. My, my, the sound keeps improving, though I freely admit that putting a speaker that is nearly as big as your TV on top of it DOES appear somewhat ungainly. Glad I built a sturdy stand.....

The madness only grows, you guys are making me nuts. First it was Dean and Bob with the crossover madness, Michael with his insane collection of speakers (did I mention I am looking at a pair of Forte II's tomorrow - like I need more speakers), Jeff (eqshadimar) with his all Cornwall HT setup, now you two......[;)] Next thing is gonna be Peaches, or Blueberries, or whatever.....

Chris