Speakers of choice

Blues Clues

I am trying to decide on what speaker system to go with, and I have been impressed with the site in general. I have a PIII 800 with 128mb ram. I had a basic Diamond sound card but am looking to put together a nice multimedia setup. I have read many of the postings regarding sound cards and DVD, and I am not trying to beat a horse to death. I get it, Klipsch rule unless you are willing to trade sound power and quality for another systems Dolby 5.1. In my case the argument makes quite a bit of difference. I was fortunate enough to have the chance to buy a 27" monitor. It has all kinds of cool inputs and throughs on the back. I'm gonna have to do research on it. Anyway, with a monitor like that in my room, I will not be sitting right in front of the monitor to watch DVD's(main use). All that was to ask if I should go with Klipsch 4.1 system or an alternative(please suggest which) 5.1 system?Or should I bite the bullet and try setting up the Klipsch 6.1 setup? (Would there be any chance I can use my monitor through to add a center channel?)Anyone...Anyone?

What is your budget? By the sound of your equipment, you seem to have pretty expensive equipment. Why not go all out and spend a grand on a nice home theater setup? NHT, Energy, Paradigm, etc have some nice 5.1 packages that could easily trounce the promedias.

Of course, if you don't have that much, it's certainly possible to set up a 4.1 promedia system. All you need is a 4 channel sound card(such as an sblive/aureal) and a program such as WinDVD/Power DVD, and you're set. Granted, you won't have a center channel, but it's not really necessary in a small room.