Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

I found someone to make for me backs to seal in the bass bins on my k horns like the 60th anniversary ones we saw on the Pilgrimage in Hope. I am very excited about the prospects, and will let you know with pics as well as we undertake this project in the next few weeks. Pat seems like a excellent woodworker, we will do this together, and let you all know what we think afterwords.

The nice thing is after this mod is done is this mod can be taken off, or left on, if the desired results are met.

IMO This will be my first real "tweak" other than the upgraded AK-4 Networks on my 1989 K horns. I am pretty much a Purist but we all want the Nirvana experience. LOL

Like a lot of things, I am going "on a on a hunch" I am right on this one. We all agree a proper seal is a MUST for K horns. I suggest if this works a lot of you will try it yourself too.

Wish us luck!

Is the goal to have more control over placement? Or...??? I missed alot of those threads, but I thought the gist of it was that they would still need to be in corners or the design was limiting to them by not utilizing the walls?

What is your goal Indy? If this eliminated the need for snug corner siteing - I'll be all over this one! It would be a godsend. But I'm skeptical.

• Like 1

Pat is my woodworker expert. He graciously accepted my challenge.. THANKS SPEED BALL!!

My room is not ideal.. nor is anyones.. REALLY>>

This is the ideal situation... http://www.kaleidos.it/used_sound/gold_sound/images/cornerhorn.jpg For those that do not know, this is a older paper (Dope From Hope) That Klipsch Published on the exact width of the side walls and suggestions how to build it.

The thing is, I know this mod will make a huge difference, even if it does not go out as far as the false wall plans above. The added advantage is a toeing in effect to some point so most rooms can now be "almost perfect" in a imperfect world. (I have heard personally this modification, and if it is screwed in and sealed right, your regular walls will carry the bass bins of the K horn out as far as you need.)

The biggest advantage is with this modification, you will NOT then need to have it in a nearly impossible (and we all agree hard to get really) airtight sealed corner.

If it does not work, I have not built false corner walls that I then need to take down.. Just remove the backs.. back to what I had before. So on to the challenge. Pat and I will let you all know what we find out.

I think were sticking to nearly perfect as we can get, Baltic Birch 5/8" to 3/4" Plywood. MDF is pretty dusty to cut, let alone screw in? Your thoughts?

BTW, this is the room as well. (2- 1989 k horns, witht he AK-4 networks and drivers upgrade, with a 1967 Vertical Cornwall on its side under the TV cabinet so horns are now Horizontal, a RSW 15" sub and 4 RS-7 's as surounds... 2 of them on the floor behind the couch shooting up, and two up above you.) 61" screen.

19' wide.. 17' 4" deep

post-5910-13819317411656_thumb.jpg

Indy - Nice pic. How wide apart are the Khorns there? I have a similar set up. But my khorns are Walnut far closer than yours, my Sammy (tantus style) is 56" and my cornwall underneath is a regular on it's side. And the whole wall is horrifyingly ugly. :) I'd really love to find a vertical Corn (tho unclear what difference it would make).

I'm incredibly interested in this project. Save those drawings.

19' wide.. 17' 4" deep with 9' ceilings..

I should of, could of, would of,..... somehow liked to have built that entertainment cabinet into the wall going into the garage. It would not have been a problem..

Anyhow.. if your building a house with K horns do not do what I did.. (your sending the bass to a wall and it then sends that sound sideways? Go figure.... Now RF 7's or any other non corner speaker, your fine. Maybe Artto can tell me how to build a scoop to deflect it into the room?? LOL)

It would of saved space and really helped the K horns..

I can honestly say the K horns placement wise in my other house was MUCH better.. I had no idea...just HOW crucial that is/ was.

The dedicated HT downstairs is sooo awesome.. Now I hear separation I used to hear in my other house witht he K horns..

Sounds I dream I should hear with the K horns upstairs.. thus this modification.

at 19' wide, your sweet spot now is 9.5 feet from the front wall, about 7.5 feet from the entertainment center. You'd have to be sitting on the coffee table for ideal soundstage.

This is a great project and I applaud you for being the first to tackle it. Hope it exceeds your expectations!

Michael

Those panels are falling quite short of completing the mouth of the bass horn. You really should get 4' from the back corner with them.

Gave up on real false corners? Dean's didn't look so bad to get together and seem like a much more worthwhile endeavour. The other night I copied a bunch of his posts into a doc file for reference once I get my rig moved back down to the basement. I can see where freestanding corners of the appropriate size would be trouble in that room, though.

I'd reiterate that Indy has RSW15 coupled to this system for low extension, so haveing the bass horns extend is not really necessary in this particular situation. What he is trying to achieve is better soundstaging by being able to aim the khorns better than the standard 45 degree angle.

Dean's didn't look so bad to get together and seem like a much more worthwhile endeavor.

I offered to see and maybe even purchase Deans as well. The idea is the same.. in a way. I also do not want to compromise it looking like hell in this room. This mod no one will see, but I am certain you will feel it.

Hey man, not trying to pee in your cornflakes, but just 'cause you're screwing wood to the back of the bass bin doesn't mean it's the same thing. I sure understand the aesthetic concerns, but you'll really be depending on the KSW and CW for bass. I suppose the entertainment center may even help a bit by forming a bit of an enclosure for the bass wave... It seems a shame to give up what really sets the Khorns apart from just about every other speaker out there - the mid to low horn loaded bass.

I guess I understand the trade off, but I don't get the faith that going with this will retain the LF performance. I hope all in all it meets your needs.

Hey man, not trying to pee in your cornflakes, but just 'cause you're screwing wood to the back of the bass bin doesn't mean it's the same thing. I sure understand the aesthetic concerns, but you'll really be depending on the KSW and CW for bass. I suppose the entertainment center may even help a bit by forming a bit of an enclosure for the bass wave... It seems a shame to give up what really sets the Khorns apart from just about every other speaker out there - the mid to low horn loaded bass.

I guess I understand the trade off, but I don't get the faith that going with this will retain the LF performance. I hope all in all it meets your needs.

I don't think Klipsch would have engineered and manufactured the 60th anniversary Khorns as they did if the backs did not operate effectively. Trust the experts here.

Indy- proceed as planned, I think you'll be very happy with your results.

I have almost the same situation going on with my TV and gear cabinents as Indy does. I have already bought the wood and have it all cut and ready to apply to the back of my Khorns as well. My idea was to copy the 60th anniv. as well. I spoke with one of the engineers from Indy while I was in Hope. He stated that the idea was to allow them to come out from the wall in comparison to the orig. Khorns, as ideal rooms are difficult to achieve. Will have to see what real life changes there are when I put the backs on.

Paul