Do I need an Amp?????

Frak601

I am new to HT and the technical considerations that go in to the setup. I am setting up a new HT room in my house, 23' X 13', and I am considering an RF-62, or RF-82, or RF-63 setup with surrounds,center and sub. I am wondering, regardless of which setup I choose, if I should consider a seperate Amp along with my receiver. I am pretty sure I am going to go with a Marantz SR7001 110W X 7 receiver. If I do use and/or need a seperate amp, is it easy to set up and use and will it make a noticeable difference in the sound. Thanks for your help, and now youre propably saying, yes, he is a newbie!! lol...thanks.

Depends on how "hardcore" you are about HT. That Marantz receiver is a cut above the mid-range black plastic crap found at the Best Buys and Circuit Cities of the country. Combined with any of those speaker systems, it should be an impressive system.

BUT if you want to enjoy HT at true THX "Reference" levels, or you want to rattle everything in the house with cinematic LFE, then 110w x 7 isn't enough amplification power even with efficient speakers. The only way to achieve that is via separate amplifiers

Thanks Cleve................I have a rather small room, and I am starting ground up from TV, receiver, speakers, theater seats, etc.....so economics are playing a part, but how hard is it to add the amplifiers a\later, and is it a matter of just hooking the amp into the receiver/ or speakers? Any suggestions on an amp(s) that would go well with the RF- 62 or RF-63 's with that Marantz receiver, or would you recommend going with a higher end reciver to start with and add on later?

Frak, the easiest way is with a multi channel amp for HT use such as Rotel 1065 or even better 1095 which are both 5 channel amps in one big box! A big step up would be Bryston 9bSSt for example...one of the best Solid State multi channel amps around but big bucks. Both of these types of amps are easily connected from your Marantz with decent RCA cables(one for each channel) You may also go the way of seperates or "monoblocks" , one amp for each channel, bigger bucks!.lol

Good luck and above all enjoy and have fun!

Thanks Jet.............I look forward to continue reading on the forums and learning more, I have learned so much in just a few days.........luckily I called Klipsch and talked to a great rep who then led me to the forums.............It is a bit overwhelming for a newbie, but that is what makes it fun and rewarding I guess!

I would say to get the Marantz and hear how it sounds in your setup. You just might be surprised how it sounds and want nothing more, until the upgrade bug bites. Like you stated, you can always add an amp later and the hookup is easy. You will have a RCA cable from the Marantz to the amp for every channel, then your speakers will hookup to the amp.

James

You are buying a quality piece now. I would use it until you feel like you want more out of the system. Leave room for "The Upgrade Bug".

I started with the 100WPC Onkyo that was great for a while. I then went to an outboard 5 channel amp at 150WPC which was great for a while. I now use three 260 WPC 2 channel amps which are great for now!

You see what's happening...unless you go all out in the begining, leave room to grow.

I think you'll be very happy for now with the 110WPC.

Phil

Thanks for the info Philmays................one last thing, if I decide on the RF-63 setup with center, surrounds and sub, do you think the marantz will still be sufficient on its own until I add an amp, or are they too power hungry, in which case I might go ahead with the multi channel amp add on from the start......or should I consider a smaller speak setup possibly, like the RF-62's or 52's??? Thanks

Get as much high-quality amp as you can afford. I recently bought a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (200 watts/channel into 7 channels) and I was ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDED how much better my KLF-10s sounded than with my old Sony surround amp! I upgraded to an RF-83 HT system and it is awesome, although I'd say the KLF-10s were MORE efficient than the RF-83s (but more harsh). Sunfire has some awesome (and dang pricey) equipment.

Your Marantz receiver will be fine for now. You can always add a dedicated pre/pro & separate amps later. I'm partial to B&K products & I'm running a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro with four separate B&K 125 wpc two channel amps. Works for me!

James

Your Marantz receiver will be fine for now. You can always add a dedicated pre/pro & separate amps later. I'm partial to B&K products & I'm running a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro with four separate B&K 125 wpc two channel amps. Works for me!

James

As I said before I use 260 wpc yamaha M-80's and M-85's. This is vintage equipment manufactured on the early to mid 80's. I bought these on ebay and have been extremely happy. The only problem now is they have gone up in price. I bought mine in the mid $300 range. They now go in the upper 400's to lower 500's which makes me question buying any more.....I just need one more.