Tarheel's Hybrid LaScalas

bluesboy

Could you please resize your photos prior to posting? 72 dpi at 500 pixels works nicely for the Forum. Thanks.

Is anybody else having problems with the photos? The only way I could find to transfer them from my Kodak software was to burn them to a disk first. I didn't see any way to re-size them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO HEELS!

Phil....the Heels are looking pretty good the last few games....we may have a contender! Chuck

Back to the La Scalas....what I needed to do was have a 2 piece speaker that we could rotate the top (midrange and tweeter) to toe it in. Bluesboy already mentioned that my previous speakers were wedged in and fired staight ahead so this was our goal to correct that problem. A top section that was basically a rectangle didn't look right so we started thinking of designs that softend the edges and looked less cumbersome A bell shape with a more gentle slope was the final result. The Paduak is really a beautifull wood and we used three coats of tung oil using 0000 steel wool and tack rags between coats. Early Sunday morning we met at Don"s shop and finished assembly .....I wanted to get the new speakers installed in my music room before my wife got home and realized that Don and I had built a second set of LS in 2 years! I had not got around to telling her about our project other than we were making a few changes to my existing speakers. She came home just as we finished hooking everything up. She loved them!. She liked the looks and the sound so I put on one of her Andre Bocelli cds for her first listen. Don and I had already listened to Sonny Rollins "Saxaphone Colossus" a favorite of mine for our audition. What can I tell you about the sound other than I was grinning ear to ear. What an amazing improvement. First the bass was much better either from the woofer change or the 1" mdf or both. The 511b horn/902 drivers are so clear and the Beymas added the sparkle I had not heard before.

I enjoyed this build and I loved the finished product. Bluesboy is very meticulous and does beautifull work. I handled some of the unskilled sanding, painting and finishing work but Don is the cabinet and speaker builder and really enjoys his work. I think I am finally done with the speaker tinkering but then again I said that last time.

BTW my 2005 LS clones are still for sale with or without xovers.

Chuck

Could you please resize your photos prior to posting? 72 dpi at 500 pixels works nicely for the Forum.  Thanks.

Is anybody else having problems with the photos? The only way I could find to transfer them from my Kodak software was to burn them to a disk first. I didn't see any way to re-size them.

All you have to do is either open them in a picture program like paintbrush and just save them in a lower DPI res setting.....or change the pic quality on the camera before you shoot the photo's.

Wow...I mean WOW!!! I remember when you first had them (La Scala) squeezed in there... I think you and I talked about toeing in the tops...(I have split La Scala's) and the imaging is incredible when you do that. At that time, you were unable to do so, due to cabinets and space.

Then next I see this thread.. Hybrid modified yes, but WOW just beautiful..

What do you think of the sound too? Looks are a 10+ IMO..

Wow...I mean WOW!!! I remember when you first had them (La Scala) squeezed in there... I think you and I talked about toeing in the tops...(I have split La Scala's) and the imaging is incredible when you do that. At that time, you were unable to do so, due to cabinets and space.

Then next I see this thread.. Hybrid modified yes, but WOW just beautiful..

What do you think of the sound too? Looks are a 10+ IMO..

Indy,

Thanks man. I'm pretty happy with the way they came out. As far as the sound goes the only thing I had the chance to listen to after hooking them up at Chuck's was a Miles Davis record played on the Denon turntable. I thought they sounded fantastic. A big improvement in all areas over the regular LaScala set up. The thing is we still don't have the right crossovers. I think we're going to go with ALK ES500T's. So, it's only going to get better.

Indy....Thanks for the kind words. .I remember our connversation about the toe-in problem and that problem has now been eliminated without changing the cabinets on either side of the bass bins as I was about to do. I am very pleased with the looks and the sound of the hybrids. As Bluesboy said I still have to order new xovers or xover kits but the bass difference and midrange clarity alone was worth the effort. I like the look and practicality of leaving the components exposed on top of the bass bin and you can fine tune the toe-in all you want. The african wood Paduak was 1/3 less expensive compared to Rosewood and the grain pattern is a good contrast to the horns.

Could it be I am finally at the point I want to be with my system? Not just yet. I have the Teac reel to reel problem to resolve and the tubes in my Quicksilver preamp are at least 5 years old. Maybe then.

Anyway...if you are in the neighborhood stop on buy and we will take a listen.

Chuck