Tarheel's Hybrid LaScalas

bluesboy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to right now I've always thought those Altec horns looked like absolute ***. But these look great! I like how they look with that baby butt tweeter, and the wood is gorgeous too! Nicely done. [Y]

Thanks man. I'm pretty happy with them. Looks I might be doing a k-horn version of the horn hat sometime soon.

Hi,

Lovely job on the speakers!

I am thinking of a similar build only using a ported bass bin like the Cornwall. Do you think they would sound as nice as the La Scala bass bin? Where did you get the Beyma's?

Have you had time to listen to them much yet, are they what you expected?

Amazing work, bluesboy. That baffle is gorgeous. I have a 511/Fostex bullet setup I want to try on a pair of Klipschorn bass bins I just acquired. If you have an idea of what that baffle might cost (unfinished would be fine -- I can handle finishing and oiling to keep my budget where it belogs -- very VERY modest!), please post or PM me. It would really tidy the look up.

Thanks!

Amazing work, bluesboy. That baffle is gorgeous. I have a 511/Fostex bullet setup I want to try on a pair of Klipschorn bass bins I just acquired. If you have an idea of what that baffle might cost (unfinished would be fine -- I can handle finishing and oiling to keep my budget where it belogs -- very VERY modest!), please post or PM me. It would really tidy the look up.

Thanks!

What kind of veneer is on your bass bins? If your not sure post some pictures. Do you want the horn hats to match the bass bins? Also, if I were to build the horn hats I would need one of the Fostex tweeters in order to make a template.

What kind of veneer is on your bass bins? If your not sure post some pictures. Do you want the horn hats to match the bass bins? Also, if I were to build the horn hats I would need one of the Fostex tweeters in order to make a template.

Mine would be the rare "HH" option finish for "Hellaciously Hideous." Imagine, if you will, a K-horn so ugly that even it's mate is embarrassed by it. That would describe both my cabinets. One is painted black, and the other was veneered in (I'm completely serious) the fakest looking blonde-oak Formica you have ever seen (until I ripped it off). The former is a mid-late 60's model, as near as I can tell, and the latter is a '58. I am going to try sanding and see what I have to work with, but may have to just veneer them. We'll see.

In other words, I'm still working on finishes. I may just do the "trim" piece along the bottom to match the horn baffle... who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

jmc...this is the thread you needed to see. I think this project sounds like what you want to do so you can take a look at our results. The feedback has been very positive and Bluesboy has taken a couple of orders for similar projects including trimming out some khorns in the Paduak with the front raised panel mdf painted piano lacquer black. He has also had inquires about just the top panel for LS.

I am waiting on parts so we can start making up the new xovers a variation between universal and ES so the bass will cossover higher. Iam looking forward to that first listen! So when the xovers are done my BEC type A xovers will be for sale if anyone is interested. If anyone needs horns or drivers Bluesboy has several listings on ebay.

Chuck

Made a trip to Wilmington see Bluesboy today. Unfortunately, the only way I could get out of the house was to take two of my kids on a road trip.

I am doing a KHorn clone with tops similar to Tarheel. I'll be using BEC's cast woofer, 511B/K55, and 2404 tweeter with a DeanG ALK Jr. and ALK tweeter attenuators to tame the 2404s. With this setup, I'll be able to point the top hat at the listening position and control the mid and tweet. I'll probably experiment with some mid drivers down the road.

Can't wait.

Chuck, You ought to check out the tweeter attenuator with those Beymas while mine are being built.

Spongeworthy...sorry I missed you yesterday. Its rare when forum members get to our area. When I got home from work Bluesboy's truck was in my driveway and I thought you might be with him to see my speakers. Bluesboy was there to tell me about your visit and the decisions the two of you made. I could tell he was excited about another speaker build. He does enjoy his work. Don told me about the tweeter attenuators and the fool proof directions.

I hope when you get back this way I will have my xovers built and we can give those clones/hybrids a proper test drive. Let me know your music preference and I will have some selections qued up.

I will probably stop by Don's shop saturday and do quality control while he works on your hybrids. Quailty control coordinator is a title I gave myself since I have no woodworking skills. I really enjoyed watching my speakers being built in various stages including going to the exotic wood shop and picking out the Paduak for the trim. All of it was a fun time and then when the speakers were in place in my music room it was time and money well spent.

Chuck

Chuck,

I'll plan on hanging out next trip and would love to give those La Scalas a listen. Wilmington is a great town too!

Don had some great ideas for the bass bins and I can't wait to see how they turn out. We are still undecided on the top but may end up with the same design that you have.

I'll look forward to some pics from Don.