Tarheel's Hybrid LaScalas

bluesboy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarheel,

Congratulations on your Gorgeous LaScalas! Bluesboy did a fantastic job! I hadn't thought of what Bluesboy did with the top

section of the speakers. I really like the fact that you can adjust the tops to project where you need them! This thread helps me

to conceptualize the project a bit more. Thanks so much for posting the pics!

Thanks for the vote Colin[:)].

Glad to help jmc.

Spongeworthy....just left the shop and Don is making good progress. The bass bins are nearing completion and paduak trim for one bass bin is cut. I was able to see how the raised panel will look next to the groove in the trim piece. I think they will look super and most suggestions Don makes are good ones. The top hat issue is a tough one, tweeter above or next to the horn. Either way will look great. Maybe Don can do a mock up on a piece of mdf.

Happy New Year to all you guys.

Chuck

Chuck,

I'll plan on hanging out next trip and would love to give those La Scalas a listen. Wilmington is a great town too!

Don had some great ideas for the bass bins and I can't wait to see how they turn out. We are still undecided on the top but may end up with the same design that you have.

I'll look forward to some pics from Don.

Keith, I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get home from the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Bluesboy - Do you have a Mac? The last forum upgrade screwed a few of us up. It works with Firefox but apparently not with Safari. Otherwise - IDK.

meagin,

No I'm not using a Mac. I don't know what the problem is. I have the images on a disc. When I try to upload them I get a message saying sorry unable to serve your request at this time.

Bluesboy soldered late into sunday morning on the custom designed xovers making him late for the playoff games and the first rack of ribs. Reed and I had to occupy ourselves with Sam's Boston Lager and football. A quick hookup expedited by dangling ribs on a stick in front of Bluesboy and we were ready to go. Sonny Rollin's "Way Out West" and Stevie Ray Vaughn "Couldn't Stand The Weather" never sounded so good. Much tighter bass. A very good upgrade.

Not bad for a rainy sunday in Carolina.

Looking forward to hearing Spongeworthy's new hybrids very soon but for now its off to work and 2 days on the road.

Chuck

Thanks BS. The wait was well worth it. The xovers were icing on the cake. Now I am content with my system and can get to the business of listening to the music. Bluesboy is now building a pair of khorns in the black/paduak look like my speakers. Can't wait to hear those.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has had its alotted time but Dtel's wife wanted to see other Bluesboy projects so I brought it back.

Keith...I know today was special for you and I too spent the afternoon with my system and some good single mault. I must say your speakers are about as close to musical nirvana as I have come. That said lets don't get Bluesboy's head too big or he may start charging for his speaker builds. Enjoy the night as well and come back soon.

Tarheel

This thread has had its alotted time but Dtel's wife wanted to see other Bluesboy projects so I brought it back.

Keith...I know today was special for you and I too spent the afternoon with my system and some good single mault. I must say your speakers are about as close to musical nirvana as I have come. That said lets don't get Bluesboy's head too big or he may start charging for his speaker builds. Enjoy the night as well and come back soon.

Tarheel

Your invoice is in the mail.

I got a chance to listen to Tarheel's sweet setup over some ribs, chili, and Modelo beers. Tarheel had a nice setup of Quicksilver Horn monos, Quicksilver preamp, and Jolida tube CDP. It was a great room to kick back and listen to some great music. I have a pair of La Scalas and used a modded pair with a similar setup before. I must say that I was very, very impressed with the sound of the speakers and the overall setup.

I really think that the heavier cabinet really helps the bass response. We have all heard opinions regarding La Scala low end and these were far from bass-shy. ALKs crosover really made these sing too. I was really impressed with the looks and sound of Tarheel's setup.

The food was outstanding as well, especially the ribs. A great host indeed!