Coolest Car you have ever owned

jacksonbart

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1975 Chevy C20 Silverado pickup I used to have way back in the day. It was black with the 454 and red bucket seats. I wish I had a pic to share. I know it may not sound so cool to you guys...but I lost my virginity in the back of it.[:D]

I had a 76, lowered 3" in the front 4" in the rear. That was the most fun vehicle i've ever owned. It would turn mid 14 second quarter mile with 3:08 open rear end and factory quadrajet carb.

I still have the engine.

1/4 mile 18 degree banked dirt track.

90+mph into turn one turning right to go left

Three rules #1 GO FAST! #2 TURN LEFT! #3 DON'T CRASH!!!!

This is a pic of the maiden voyage with the new body on it. I'll try to attach a link of a pic of what the car looked like last year at the end of the season, you'll get a kick out of that one.

post-21245-13819317872028_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the Volvo.

Yes, it was the "Saint" car. Maybe my young mind was influenced by that. It showed up in a music video not too long ago. Rod Stewart? One can be seen in the Jaws movie, too.

The Volvo had a locking gas cap which was more of a horzontal hatch. The lock originally had a rotating shield over the keyway. That was broken off by the time I took possession.

After one ice storm in NYC the lock was frozen. But I knew how to thaw it. Put the key in lock and then light a couple of matches to apply flame to the handle of the key. Then the matches burnt down and burned my fingers. The lighted match stubs fell into the cracks of hatch.

I looked and realized I had just about put a lighted match in the gas tank. Was it worth running?

- - - -

The other issue was that there was a drain tube to draw off rain water from the compartment of the filler, rather than have it flow into the gas tank. But that tube got clogged. The effect was to put rain water in the gas tank. It took a while to figure out that the gas tank had water in it.

There were a few iterations of the 1800. Mostly the motor. But the last was a wagon style. Federal bumper regs probably killed the line.

= = = =

For anyone who is interested: In those days, America was enjoying small European cars, and sports cars. Muscle cars from Detroit were just coming on line. Consider that the 1964 Mustang (and Corvairs) was closer to the British sports car than the muscle car the Mustang would turn into. Then everyone wanted muscle cars rather than underpowered roadsters.

Maybe the wheel came around. One obscure British sports car of the time was the Lotus Elan. It came back as the Miata.

Gil

Why do people quote themselves?

I don't know, kinda strange.

Yes it is now that you mention it.

How about this car? Love the lines.

Not too different from the 66-67 Charger that finally hit the streets. The rear seats folded down so there would be more room to fit surfboards through the trunk so that's why the radical fastback (honest....that was Chrysler's intention). Still think of the AMC Marlin when I look at that car.

My 68 Type I Bug... a solid ride. 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, 44 mpg on the hwy.

Now this is what I would feel comfortable driving...............they sure were small inside!

Yeah, but look on the bright side; it places an upper limit to how big a girl I can date!

That is as clean inside as it is outside! Nice, not fast but nice!