Members Weeekly Music Recommendations-Dec. 11

thebes

Crankin up for the holidays. Everybody on the planet does it
better then me. I usually remember to put up the Christmas
ornaments about a week after the holiday has ended.

I'm glad that others remember, though. Received two wonderful
gifts today from fellow forum guys and gals.Unexpected suprises that
bring pleasure. can anyone ask for more?

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music
as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Penguin Cafe Orchestra, self titled, cd, I would guess it's Indie/ambience

A present from our own Kaiser SET Say along with a few others I
haven't had time to absorb. All instrumental, all acoustic,
extremely well recorded and very hard to describe. So I
won't. Just go get it.

So what do you have to share this week?

Talkie Walkie - Air

Audio CD (February 17, 2004)

Original Release Date: February 17, 2004

Genre: Electronica

Posted Image

1. Venus

2. Cherry Blossom Girl

3. Run

4. Universal Traveler

5. Mike Mills

6. Surfin' On A Rocket

7. Another Day

8. Alpha Beta Gaga

9. Biological

10. Alone In Kyoto

The official website for `Air`.

http://www.intairnet.org/

http://www.intairnet.org/intro.html

Air (band)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_%28band%29

Air is a French duo, consisting of Nicolas Godin and Jean-Benoît Dunckel. Nicolas Godin studied architecture at the École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Versailles whereas Jean-Benoît Dunckel studied mathematics before forming a band in 1995. Their debut EP, Premiers Symptômes, was followed by the critically acclaimed album Moon Safari, the re-release of Premiers Symptômes, The Virgin Suicides (soundtrack), 10,000Hz Legend, Everybody Hertz, and Talkie Walkie.

Although Air's music is often referred to as electronica, their form of electronic music really owes more to the synthesizer sounds of the 1970s such as Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Pierre LeBouef and Francis Lai. Other influences are psychedelic rock pioneers Pink Floyd; Krautrockers Tangerine Dream; Jean-Jacques Perrey (although there are some echoes of dance music styles in the production); and French crooner Serge Gainsbourg. Air's music also has jazz inflections at times.

If you love Electronica this group from France will fill the bill.

Listening to the catchy rhythm or 'Air` songs you will find yourself playing the song in your head throughout the day.

Greg's picks: Alpha Beta Gaga and Cherry Blossom Girl

Yes Greg really likes this CD!

• Like 1

Sorry about being late, alot going on right now, tough time of the year.....................EH !!!! So here's a Classic that helped close out the 60's, Who else could end a decade better than this band..........................

VOLUNTEERS ; the JEFFERSON AIRPLANE................................CD.............................1969...........................

The Original Protest Group, this is the last of the 60's album from this group, and it is also the last recording featuring the original line-up. Recorded in 1969, a year in which many things had happened, Woodstock,the first moon landing, escalation of the Viet Nam war, and the Manson Murders, strange times indeed. This would be their first album wholly recorded in their hometown of San Francisco. By being recorded there it allowed friends such as, Steven Stills, David Crosby to stop bye, and help with the album. Quite a mixture of songs and styles on this disc, but you always know it's the Airplane. This disc happens to be a REMASTER series, and has extra songs added on. I think the remastering is just great, cleans up the sound, and I don't have an issues with the final product. If you are a fan of the ORIGINAL Line-up of the Airplane, this is a must have recording. It may be their finest moment as the Jefferson Airplane, those albums that came after this aren't the best Airplane line-up................Jefferson Starship has NOTHING in common with this band............this is the Orginal Protest Band...........they always had a cause, and you know, 40 years after the fact, they were right, not so far fetched from this San Francisco Hippie Band..................Step back in time, give this disc a listen, and "UP AGAINST THE WALL ************!!!!.....................Yeah Baby, the Classics...............................

P.S. Have listened to this a couple of times after doing write-up............Real good album, might be their best effort, alot of different styles on this disc, and some great added live material at the end..............A must have for Airplane fans......Vocals never sounded better, the Band can certainly play their chosen instruments, great guests on this album............................Long Live the Classics...................

Grog, great to have you back! I was getting worried.

OB
just picked up two pristine, and I mean pristine, lps: Jeffferson
Startship, "Winds of Change and Starship, "Knee Deep in the Hoopla".

Yor goodies went out yesterday, you should have them soon.

The latter is on right now.

Grog, what a coincidence of the universe!  I was listening to Air's "Moon Safari" album when I came across your post!  So in keeping with the French electronica theme, allow me to recommend my personal favorite...

M83.  "Before The Dawn Heals Us" - Electronica/DJ vinyl or CD.

Ethereal, stirring, melancholy, diabolically dramatic, uplifting, brooding, dreamy...all depending on which track you're listening to.  The best description I read from a review regarding this album was, "if you died and went to heaven, this is probably what the journey would sound like."

post-12484-13819317970298_thumb.jpg