Heritage speaker choice for 8' X 14' sun room (with a large opening to the living room)

altec210

Hello all. I just joined the forum, and this is my first post. After living with many different speakers in my small but excellent sounding sunroom, I have decided to welcome some model from the Klipsch Heritage line into my audio life. I have had modified Altec 210 boxes w 311-90 horns and Altec A7s in this room, and the sound was great, but the size (with the 210 boxes) was too much. I realize that La Scalas are smaller than A7s, so that could be a possibility. I should also mention that the long wall that opens into the living room was cut out for French doors, so it's about 5' wide. Ceiling height is 9'.

I have a Scott 222(A) and a Sam Kim modified Heathkit AA151 on the way. I utilize my 1,300 CDs via exteral harddrives and my iMac through an M-Audio Audiophile DAC. I also watch movies through this system in addition to some electronica, Yellow, etc. My main listening revolves around blues, jazz (quartet), female vocalists, and 80s - current rock.

Given my use and musical preferences (price isn't a big factor), what Heritage Klipsch do you think I should consider? I will consider anything from the Heresey up through the La Scala. Maybe a Chorus or Forte too... Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Holy sheet, Batman, you had 210s with modded wings AND A7s in your sunroom? WOW!

As for your question, I would run one or two sets of Fortes - they are about the most linear responding, and the best rock and roll speakers in a compact footprint that Klipsch makes in the Heritage line. They are a great bargain value, and they won't pin your ears, an important trait with you coming off Altecs in that room.

Man, I'd dig hearing the 210s at a barbeque. It would take me back 25 years[:D]

Sheltie Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

The 210s were split in half with a plywood side added to each half.  The port was cut off leaving dimensions of 18" wide, 42" deep, and about 66" tall.  The depth was the real killer.  Have you heard the Cornwalls too?  If there is anyone with Fortes or Cornwalls in the upper-midwest, (I'm in La Crosse, WI) I would love to hear what they do in your setup.  I would be interested in talking with anyone in the region who has any of the heritage line for sale... 

Well, they're probably all nice choices and maybe all just a little different set of compromises compared to what you've been hearing in there. It will probably come down to patience and finding something close. I'm still looking for my $100 pair of local Regency boxes...

Altec, Carl and I are considering another little gathering in St. Louis in January. I'll be running Cornwalls and Fortes in various configurations, and Carl has modded KHorns and Belles that dry the laundry.

It would be worth the trip, as we have Altecs as well so you could get a baseline to establish your bearings.

There is another thread about an announced gathering a lot closer to you in the same time period, and there are a number of folks in the Chicago/Milwaukee area that like to demo their systems as well. With 210s, it's obvious you love the Altec sound, and the Cornwalls and Fortes probably are the closest "Altec" sound you will find from Klipsch.

BTW, Ben it has been a great couple of weeks for bargains in St. Louis. The Fortes and Harman Kardon 930 receiver for under $200 at an estate sale were topped by the free McIntosh 1900 receiver yesterday. I just need to help a friend find a small, good sounding, and stylish stereo on the back end of a quid pro quo with the Mac.[H]

I'm in Jamaica doing a service trip with some university students from Jan. 6-14.  Do you have any ideas on the timing of your gathering?  It sounds like something not to be missed!  Thanks to everyone chiming in so far...  Based on a lot of reading in this forum and the replies to my question, it sounds like Cornwalls may be the answer.  I don't have to worry about a passive radiator being too close to the back wall, and from what I have read, the CWs don't need to be away from the side walls.  My room is situated so that the speakers have to go against the short wall.  I have tried the long wall, and there is a null in certain bass frequencies that dips as low 15-20 db below the 1K reference point!

I like my Triangle Altea ESW quite a bit, but I'm getting excited to come back to some horn loaded speakers.

Based on your listening preferences I would say Cornwalls in a heartbeat, but it sounds like you already came to that conclusion [Y] If you can afford to purchase new, the Cornwall III's are amazing. Definetly a huge step up from the old I's and II's.

Depending on your listening preferences, you might find the Forte II to be a good option as well. It will project a smaller image and be less dynamic than the cornwall, but the mids are going to be much smoother. And even though it's a 12" driver, they're going to play lower too.

There are some guys up in the Wisconsin area that might be willing to have you over for a listen. They've got khorns and cornwalls in some pretty insane setups. If you ever find yourself in central Illinois, you're more than welcome to hear my Chorus II setup. And if you're a horn freak, you should try making the Klipsch pilgrimage in Indy this year. There's one guy with dozens of cornwalls, lascalas, and even a pair of Forte II's. And another guy with a dedicated HT sporting lascalas all around. I don't mean to invite you to other people's houses, but if you stick around and make some friends I'm sure it's bound to happen.

That reminds me...if space / money isn't too big of an issue, then you might highly consider a pair of Lascalas with the Ultra2 subwoofer system. Now that is a system that will leave cornwalls in the dust...especially if you go with the new Lascala II.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm working on a 13.5 X 18.5 sun room right now.

Not a whole lot of options for a room that everyone has a vested intrest in....everyone in the family has their idea of best use.

Current thinking is to use a pair of LaScala's until they get pushed out for the short term while wiring the room up for 7.1 for the mid term.

Will basiclly be ceiling mounting 7 sets hersey speaker drivers in the ceiling.  The ceiling joist are 2 X 10's spaced out 12 inches apart.  I might place the drivers on a panel perched at 45 degree angles.  The panel will be ceiling mounted.

Modifications to the drivers are using the bi-radial tweeter ST-350 instead of the K-77 as well as possibly using a trachorn instead of  k-700's.

Current status....foundation has been poured....all framing has been done....audio wiring and untilities are next.

DrWho - Thanks for the post. I have read a few of your posts with interest. I work at the Univ. of Wisconsin at La Crosse as a technical supervisor for our student center. I usually have about 7-9 students on my staff to do events in the center and around campus. It sounds like you are one of the students I would love to find when I advertise to get new staff... My sister lives in Indianapolis, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to get down there for the hornfest you alluded to. Do you have a date on that?

The La Scala setup sounds great, but I'm pretty set on only two boxes given my 8' X 14' limitation. I should try to hear both a vintage Cornwall and a current III to see if the extra $ would be worth it.

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Man, I just sold a pair of Cornwall 3's a few months back. . .you would have been able to compare them with a couple pairs of old LaScalas. If you're ever in the Milwaukee area, you're welcome to stop by for a listen. I'm running a pair of '78 LaScalas, a pair of Klipsch Ultra subs, and a Mac 2105 / MX 113 combo. I have a pair of near mint '84 LaScalas that I would part with if the price was right. . .right now they're just sitting in a spare bedroom.

Jeff

DrWho - Thanks for the post. I have read a few of your posts with interest. I work at the Univ. of Wisconsin at La Crosse as a technical supervisor for our student center. I usually have about 7-9 students on my staff to do events in the center and around campus. It sounds like you are one of the students I would love to find when I advertise to get new staff... My sister lives in Indianapolis, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to get down there for the hornfest you alluded to. Do you have a date on that?

The La Scala setup sounds great, but I'm pretty set on only two boxes given my 8' X 14' limitation. I should try to hear both a vintage Cornwall and a current III to see if the extra $ would be worth it.

Regards,

Michael

There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to the "Klipsch Pilgrimage":

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/10/ShowForum.aspx

And I believe this is the thread that determined the date:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/814589.aspx

(putting it June 22nd and 23rd).

Usually, the pilgrimage consits of two days: the first day is an informal non-klipsh sponsored get-together called "the mixer" where a bunch of insane forum members bring a crap loads of gear and it's a full night of music and meeting the fellow forum members. The second day is klipsch sponsored and usually entails a full day of tours and then a nice dinner on the house [Y]

Anyways, letting your ears be the final judge is absolutely the best way to go about it - the forum certainly isn't short of different opinions [;)]

Hi Jeff,

That's disappointing timing...  Do you have any experience/observations regarding the I, II, or III designation of the CW?  What would a good price be for a pair of CW III?  I will keep you and your La Scalas in mind as I hear some of the other possibilities.  I don't make it over to Milwaukee too often, but I will take you up on your offer for a visit if I'm headed that way.

Regards,

Michael