What's the fastest way to "burn in" new stuff?

Olaf

I just ordered an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player(recommended by some Klipschters). According to all the info I've read it takes at least 50 hours until it reaches it potential.

What would be the fasted method to burn it in?

Would letting it play on repeat for a day or so do the job?

How about an amp? If I would just leave it on with no source playing do the trick?

I would like to find out because I don't have alot patience and don't want to wait for,perhaps months until the stuff is burned in.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I would think that just running it without rest of the system being on would be fine, unless, for some odd reason, the new player needs some sort of feedback from the pre-amp, receiver, etc. Can't think of any though.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables (and I do mean CABLES)

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

i am not a huge home theater person, only have quintets and synergy 6 but with both and my promedia sets i just played dynamic classical music, music low lows and high highs and smooth midrange. i started it at a low volume and slowly turned it up like every 30 minutes or so for a whole day, did this about 2 days before i decided it was enough... but i was just a novice and really did not/do not know the BEST way to do it. played them for about 32 hours before using them for a HT or music to listen to... does this make any sense?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Olaf,

When I burned my DVD/CD player and new interconnects simultaneously. I connected everything and set the player to repeat, then turned the volume down and let it the unit play for over 30 hrs. Occasionally, listened to note changes in sound quality. If you're concerned with excessive heat, place a small fan nearby that will provide additional ventilation during burn in. Beyond that I have no additional suggestions.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

CD Player burn in??? We are talking digital (ONEs and ZEROs), right? Can someone explain the physics to me? I can understand something being broken in like a new pair of shoes or even speakers (rubber, seals, etc). But a CD player? - no way! IMHO, it is the listner's ears that are being broken in to the new sound of new gear.

If someone can show me meter readings or something like that which shows a change in digital output after hours of play, please post it.

ThanksSmile.gif

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 12-01-2001 at 01:33 PM

Rob,

The term Burn-in used in conjunction with new electronic components is perhaps an inappropriate one, but it has become a widely acceptable one. The appropriate term used by most electronics manufacturers is "Break-in Time". It generally alludes to the minimum/maximum amount of time that it takes an electronic component to output or receive a signal before it reaches its ultimate sonic character. Manufacturers of tube equipment usually identify the Break-in Time in their Owners Manuals.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 12-01-2001 at 03:19 PM

PCs used to be "burned in" once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away -

The process was to let the units heat up (sometimes tested in a hot box) to discover any glitches and assembly errors, especially with warm temperatures on the motherboard.

Even solid state components must have operating temperatures at which they sound their best, so this might be what is going on with burn-in of electronic components. On the other hand, our ears learn to listen to anomalies in patterns, for our 20 Billion Instructions Per Second (BIPS) brain is far more powerful than any super-computing cluster and excels at pattern recognition.

Therefore, it may be that we are hearing not a "burn-in" of miscellaneous electronic parts but instead we are merely listening better to the musical patterns. How often has this change in "burn-in" tone been tested on double blind objective audiences?

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Rob,

Yes, part of what the CD player is doing is working with the zeros and ones of the digital data stream. Let's assume for a moment that there's nothing there to "break in".

However, the CD player is also an analog device - once the zeros and ones have passed through the input receiver, filter and D/A converter, you've got an analog signal that has to be sent along to whatever component is downstream - preamp, integrated amp, receiver, whatever. The analog circuits of the CD player, the capacitors in particular, will change in character as the player is used, sometimes stabilizing after a few hours, sometimes requiring more time. The more expensive players marketed as "high end" designs typcially contain a LOT more capacitors to provide a much higher level of current output, besides whatever other differences they might have. These capacitors take time to "form". (Do a search on Google on "capacitor" and "form" and you'll see a lot of references).

Whether there's any MEASURERABLE difference, or AUDIBLE difference, throughout the course of this "break in" cycle I'll leave to others to argue about. My only point here is that you shouldn't assume the argument is baseless because it's a digital product - there are analog bits 'n pieces in there.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is a modified Marantz CD player. One of the major mods is tubes in the output stage. It is mainly "burning in" the tubes on this player Smile.gif

Olaf: For the first couple of days I ran the player at minimum volume when I wasn't home and normal volumes while I was listening. After that first couple of days I just used it like any other player, except that I would turn it on and let it warm up a bit before any "critical" listening...

I think it is a great little player, I sold mine when I had the opportunity to get a McIntosh CD player.

------------------

Ed W

Ray, thanks for the post and as usual great reading. But as another poster suggested, the term burn it or break in used in the digital domain seems to inappropriate.

For my setup, the Yamaha DSP-A1s DAC does 99% of the converting (optical and analog connectors) so I tend not appreciate my DVP's and CDP's role in converting ones and zeros.

Thanks for google search suggestions!!!

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 12-03-2001 at 05:20 PM

quote:

The more expensive players marketed as "high end" designs typcially contain a LOT more capacitors

Ray

Upscale Audio has a photo of the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with the top removed. I counted about 24 capacitors so it will probably take a while to break in.

Edster

Thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to recieving it. I guess if I had a chance at a McIntosh I'd take it too! :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this burn in theory for electronics is devoid of merit. So is the similar break in theory for speaker, which are mechanical. Of course, it doesn't cost money, so why complain.

I'm reasonably certain that, for example, computer memory or processors are not burned in or anything of the like. I've never seen the OEM of a capacitor claim that in the first minutes or hours of operation, it changes value. Same with any inductor manufacturer.

Have fun, debate, etc. I just don't see it.

Gil

"Burn in" has always struck me as something that would be useful to audio salespeople who wanted to fend off a return. "Well keep it a while ... it needs to burn in ... you'll see it will sound better over time". And the combination of the psychological power of the suggestion plus a person just "getting used to something' plus some more time to experiment with things like speaker placement ...and Voila! a saved commission.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems