Rope Caulking Works!

milton10

Oh my!! I can see that BEC is affected by the Christmas season! He is being too nice. I temporarily got away with ....""the old coot ain't deaf".......statement. I ain't buying it. I must be prepared for his "bald and short" retorts after the holidays.[:'(]

Have a Jolly Christmas, with warm regards to you, Bro Mike, and the fam.

Terry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TC,

Don't be concerned, I always keep score and will add that one to the list.  I think that list is up to 4 right now and I really need to pay some back soon.  When it gets to 5, that requires nuclear weapons.

Bob

"Has anyone tried completely filling the inside of the 511B with rope caulk?"

I think you could stop after the first pound or so packed into the throat, filling the rest of the way won't make much more of a difference (but you're welcome to do an ABX comparison).

Didn't Roy recently say a horn inside of a cabinet, exposed to the acoustic vibration caused by a pounding woofer -- would benefit from the additional mass/damping? I also recall reading a paper generated by Klipsch (corporate) citing lower distortion as the reason for moving from the K-400 to the K-401.

You might also try what i did,,,HDBR..Andy told me i should smooth out all the seams inside the horn so when i got my beat up Ks i did that.I used a dowel rod wrapped some emry cloth around it and smoothed out the throat also sanded the inside of the horn.Then I went to Lowes and got oil based industrial paint which dries pliable and tough.Painted inside and out then tried to make it ring by hanging up...could not even make it ring.I also got some of that dampining stuff from parts express i just put strips on bottom and top in the smooth areas doubt if that helped any better but i did it any way.I think that industrial paint would do it all by itself.I also got new washers for the driver gaskets at hardware store and cut to fit seems the old gaskets stuck out into the horn path...not good i dont think..maybe Bob should test that. Well just some ideas.Rick

If there is a resonance that is audibly apparent, I have found this product to work well, especially on metal surfaces:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=268-256 by the gallon which can be sprayed with a compressor or applied with a brush.

See also http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/vb1x.html for more information.

Its also good for treating the inside of speaker enclosures as well.  It is a latex product, so there are no fumes and cleanup.  

I have used this product in car audio applications where metal panels resonate, and have found it to be easy and effective.  Based on my experience it would be my first choice in this application.  

Man, you guys are getting way off topic. Has anyone tried completely filling the inside of the 511B with rope caulk?

Bob

I have one better Bob.

Has anyone tried filling their rectum with rope Caulk to alleviate Hemorrhoid problems? Its said to DAMPEN the pain.

Thanks for bringing this thread back on track.

Rick,

I believe that restriction caused by the gasket is intended. The hole in the gasket is about 5/8 inch and all the factory gaskets are like that. Perhaps has to do with properly loading the K-55?

Bob

I'll respectfully challenge the above.

About 18 months ago while removing a K-55 driver from its K600 horn, I noticed that the rubber washer was restricting the K600 throat and was dry and a little brittle. I checked my other 5 Cornwalls and found the same (1974's and 1980's). I ordered 10 new gaskets from Klipsch @ $1 each ( minimum order was $10 ). What I received does not restrict the throat.

In a personal conversation with the inventor of the "P-Trap", I recounted this discovery, at a fellow forum members home one afternoon. His comment was that the throat should not be restricted.

Opinion only: I assume PWK had the K600 built to his specs and would not have relied on a washer to do the job, which the horn was designed to do.

Mike