Thoughts on Monitor Audio Speakers.

Frak601

I am trying to decide on which speakers I am going to go with for a new theater room in my house. I am a newbie and I have the unfortunate luck of living in an area where going to a store and being able to demo speakers is not easy to do. I am considering Monito Audio RS8's, Klipsch RF-82's or Polk Rti10's...........I can get a pretty good deal on Monitor Audio's from a dealer I know, but I dont want price alone to be my deciding factor. I am going to go with a 5.1 setup and will not buy a sub from the speaker company, as I am looking at geting one of the Hsu or SVS subs......I will be powering all speakers with a Marantz SR7001 (110W X7) for the time, with hopes in near future to add a multi channel amp using pre outs on Marantz. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions, especially on how the quality of and the type of sound the Monitor speakers have compared to Klipsch/Polk. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I heard the Monitor Silver series here in the DFW area about a year ago. I was comparing quite a few systems to what I have listed below They were nice, but sounded like "speakers" to me. I thought my front Soundstage was more seamless. If you are getting a REAL good deal on the Monitor speakers I couldn't imagine it being a bad deal--If you are paying more than an upper end Klipsch Reference system, I would reconsider. I wouldn't look just at what you are getting them for percentage-wise under retail. This is a biased opinion from someone who chose Klipsch products subjectively. [H]

The real answer (and depending how "into" your HT you are going to be) is to get the speakers you prefer in the store (after you have heard some familiar material) and try them out in your home. Regardless of initial difficulty, if you don't like what you purchased in the beginning--keep your receipts and understand the return policy of the store. If you don't like what you are hearing within the first 2 weeks--take those badboys back and try something else. It may be a hassle--but it could be the difference between Nirvana or a regretted purchase for years to come. [C]

Fot HT use Klipsch bests Polk and Monitor Audio. For music in general Monitor Audio has a more laid back and non fatiguing sound. Matter of taste here. In HT I repeat Klipsch has both competitors bested.

As for sub I do not know your budget but the HSU VTF3-HO/Turbi is a killer sub,for $1100 you get performance besting the vast majority of subs going for $2500! HSU HO/Turbo over even dual woofer SVS(less be it the Ultra,and then you get dual HO/Turbo subs!).

This has been a dilema of mine.....I hear many people say klipsch are harsh or too bright, and I live in an area where alot of demos are not available, I have only been able to listen to rf-52 on a limited basis, but I have heard others say exactly what you have said, that for HT klipsch are hard to beat, and I will use my setup for 90% HT(movies, sports general tv) rather than music, Iwill listen to music, just not as much on this system, i hope to build a seperate 2 channel system in the future for music. I appreciate your opinion,thanks....anyone else care to weigh in on this????.....I am not planning on buying the 52's ....just the only demos I was able to hear.... I am considering the RF-82 setup, or the RF-62....but leaning towardsthe 82's.

It's a bit cliche, but better speakers are more revealing of upstream equipment. Coupled with the right amplification and source material, you would be very hardpressed to say Klipsch sounds harsh.

System synergy is very important and I would argue that those claiming Klipsch is harsh are using upstream equipment that is harsh to compensate for their mushy speakers. The Klipsch sound however is very in your face and big sounding - not harsh though. I've always preferred big and in your face because that's what live music sounds like...(whether you listen to rock, classical, jazz, etc...)