Newbie seeks help!

Frak601

I am setting up new HT room, first timer here.......I still haven't purchased speakers because I am trying to be patient and get the right parts, even though it is killing me. I am considering RF-82 HT setup, but am looking for a good sub........any suggestions???....I have been pretty impressed by the reviews on Hsu and SVS subs........any particular opinions or recommendations on these brands........I will be looking in the future, maybe near future if I spend wisely to get an external 5 or 7 channel amplifier.......do you typically need a seperate amp for the sub if you are going to use it for the other channels?? Thanks for any help or ideas!

A budget would help members make recommendations. Klipsch has very competitive subs from the Sub 12 on up.

You may want to consider dual subs. Room modes make any one subwoofer very uneven in performance due to peaks and nulls. Two subs go a long wat toward evening out the response.

As far as SVS is concerned, they allow you to tune the sub for very low frequencies which makes some folks feel macho. The problem with low frequenct output is that it cannot be heard (although it may be felt) and output in the audible area is reduced due to the low frequency configuration. The laws of physics cannot be beat.

Bill

24L X 14W X 8H is one large room

You would need at least one subwoofer like the RT-12d to fill this room,great HT subwoofer and has plenty of output where it counts.

Room modes,yes they are a concern but not one so huge to the point of getting two lesser subwoofers. You simply position the sub where it will give you a good balance at listening position. Room modes have to be taken care of when you have rows of seats and in one spot bass may be great and poor in another. You can always add a second RT-12d to negate the room modes.

Or option two get the Klipsch THX pair of subs with the matching amp.Here you can start with one sub and amp and add the second passive sub later.

How would you go about hooking up two subs, are the hooked up independantly of one another, or linked somehow........do you have to have an avr that supports two subs?? Thanks

Depends on the subwoofer. In the case of the afforementioned RT-12D (which IS an EXCELLENT subwoofer), there is an input and an output. You hook the input to the LFE/Subwoofer output of your preamp, and the output runs to the second RT-12D. This also allows you to link the room correction output to each of the subs.

With many other subs, you split the output of your Subwoofer output with a Y-connector and run a separate cable to each.

A budget would help members make recommendations. Klipsch has very competitive subs from the Sub 12 on up.

You may want to consider dual subs. Room modes make any one subwoofer very uneven in performance due to peaks and nulls. Two subs go a long wat toward evening out the response.

As far as SVS is concerned, they allow you to tune the sub for very low frequencies which makes some folks feel macho. The problem with low frequenct output is that it cannot be heard (although it may be felt) and output in the audible area is reduced due to the low frequency configuration. The laws of physics cannot be beat.

Bill

Which is why they're "user tunable." Best of both worlds.

Frak601, don't let the SVS-haters shy you away from something you may want. Most of the SVS hate around the net is due to jealousy. Huge bass, little money; that makes them angry [:@] No little digital controls on top of the sub, no pretty plastic doilies glued to the front. Just bass. Isn't that just what you want anyway?

The words above are definitely from sour grapes. "makes folks feel macho?" But...but...it's in the soundtrack. [:S] I'm macho because my system reproduces the material correctly? I'll speak to Mr. Lucas tomorrow and and demand he never makes another movie that you can't hear. [;)]