Why shouldn't I buy Klipsch????

Frak601

I live in an area that does not have many options for demos on speakers, so i am in a dilemna that is going on now for several weeks. It seems i liked the rf-52 setup i heard briefly and thought the rf-62 or rf-82 setup was what i would want....but i keep getting scared because i hear so many things about brightness or harshness........i always thougth that brightness and in your face style was a perfect fit for HT use, which is what i will mainly use it for..am i wrong in that assumption?.....i keep asking myself, why shouldn't i just buy the klipsch and forget about polk audio or monitor audio, any thoughts or suggestions??

Frak, Some Klipsch speakers can sound somewhat "bright" depending on the model and what type of receiver/amp they are hooked up to,also to some extent the source player(DVD/CD player). However, for HT use rather than music I think you will love the dynamics and in your face presentation. They can be fantastic for music(my 83's certainly are) but as I said require a little more attention in positioning, connected equipment, EQ settings and very importantly , the source material. Some CD's and DVD's for that matter sound like crap, and because the Klipsch speakers are very accurate you hear that "crap" more than with your average run of the mill Polk/ Paradigm/PSB type of speaker. The really positive thing is that when you hear a well recorded disc it sounds like sonic bliss.....lol,...gotta go listen to my 83's now[li]

Hope this helps, just my observations so far after a few months of joining the Klipsch fraternity.

Find a few stores that carries some brands/models that you want to hear, bring along some CDs/LPs that you like and are familiar with and listen, take notes if you need to of your general impressions. Afterwords, review your notes and pick the pair/system you think sounds the best for your budget. If your too lazy, just buy the Klipsch and be done with it.

I have both a THX Ultra II set up and a latest model reference system (RF83 & etc.). I would not consider either bright. Some say that they are forward but I think most would say that is a good thing for HT. As for music I can't speak for the rest of the Reference line but the RF83s IMHO are fantastic in stereo. Good luck.

Tom

When you can buy better quality used. I bought very heavy Altec-Lansing Model One speakers with thick walls for $10 at Goodwill. The surrounds on the mid-range woofers were deteriorated with age. I replaced them with new ones for $50. Great speakers. In the $500- 1,000 league.

Well, there are a number of reasons why you should not purchase Klipsch Speakers which I list below:

1. Klipsch driven speakers, powered by a quality one watt amp may get you evicted from an apt, or at the least have the noise police called.
  2. You will lose friends when they realize how much money you spent on your system compared to theirs.
  3. Once you try Klipsch, everything else plays second fiddle.
  4. Your wife or girlfriend might hate you for bringing "big" speakers into the living area.
  5. A chemical enzyme will be released from the horn called "upgradeitis". Listen long enough and you might spend more money.
  6. Diagnosis of "upgraditis" will lead to two solutions: purchasing higher end models, the other involving something called Heritage.
I don't know if this helps, but I believe others here can further elaborate on the proper course of action. [:)] There is one thing to remember, if you like the sound why second guess your decisions based upon the opinions of others? Enjoy.

I appreciate the input xdetroitx........looks like you have pretty much the same setup I am going to go with, except I think I am going to go with the RF-52 surrounds...............are you pretty happy with that sub, I was thinking of a svs or HSU instead??? Thanks

If any Klipsch speaker sounds bright with any modern receiver or separate- I'd blame the listening room. To many modern homes with yards and yards of drywall and hardwood and not enough other surfaces for diffraction and absorbtion.

Or you can turn the treble down a notch. [;)]

Micael, I live in a 1957 ranch, and have all kinds of incriminating pictures. FWIW, back in the day, a 1950s house is much the same, substituting pladter for drywall. The structure that had plenty of soft fabrics and oodles of wool, barkcloth, cotton and chintz was the tent, favored by Bedouins near Medinah. They also liked rugs.

I am very happy with everything I have. I would have went with the 52's myself but money was an issue. I have no complaints at all besides my room starts to snow when the sub and 82s really start to work...darn drop ceilings. I am moving into my house in like a week and looking forward to some drywall ceiling. I have been designing some acoustical panels for the living room walls to help with sound absorbtion since my soon to be wife insisted on hardwoods. But, I am hoping an area rug will help. As far as brightness I havent had a problem. Just a warning....your musical tastes may change. I was mostly r&r, now since I bought the klipsch system I have been buying jazz and classical to hear what it sounds like on my system. Pure bliss.

Just a warning....your musical tastes may change. I was mostly r&r, now since I bought the klipsch system I have been buying jazz and classical to hear what it sounds like on my system. Pure bliss.

I couldnt agree more. I am mainly a rocker myself, but picked up the B.B. King & Eric Clapton "Riding with the King" DVD-Audio just to see how it sounds. It also has a 6.1 DTS layer that just sounds friggin awesome. [:D]