Long time, no hear...and things for sale

jhawk92

Hello fellow Klipschers-

I've been absent from the forums for quite some time, mainly due to work and school, and a small diversion who is our daughter, now 3. For the past 2 years, I've been working on one of the two contractor teams bidding to build the next manned space vehicle for NASA. This year was incredibly busy with contract and proposal work, and at the end of August, we were selected as the winning team. Now comes the hard part...actually building the thing. I am excited, though, as I will be part of the next program that lands people on the moon! While I was alive (barely) for the first landings, the chance to see it happen again is amazing.

Sprinkled around all the work-work has been school work; I'm over half-way through my Master's degree in systems engineering, and will be done this time next year. And then there's been the light of our lives, our daughter Carlin, who turned three last week. All this has kept me off the forums and not afforded much time to enjoy my K-horns or Chorus II-based HT.

And, we'll be even busier this time next month, as we are expecting baby #2, this one a boy. Now this means I need to clear out some of the audio gear that hasn't been getting much use, and put the money to different use. For now, I need to put up my Scott 299B that was refurbed by NOSValves and has been a mainstay in my 2-ch system. It was replaced recently with a pair of Quicksilver Horn Monos and a tube pre that sounds wonderful. The 299B has been in a bedroom system, but now Carlin has that bedroom as her "big girl room" and I need to let it go. Also up for sale is a Scott 333 AM/FM tuner that was refurbed by Foster Blair. Both units are in excellent condition, and I can post some photos at some point, but wanted to get the word out as I'd like to keep these units in the Forum family, rather than going to eBay.

The 299B has the original tube compliment with the exception of the 7189s, which Craig replaced with a quad of current tubes; I forget the brand. I do also have a quad of Telefunken 7189s that I'll add into the mix. The chasis is in great shape, as is the front panel with virtually all the lettering intact. The 333 is also in great cosmetic shape, and I will post some of the details that Foster did with the work. I have an original Scott cabinet that came with the 299B, but I have it currently on the 333, as I purchased one of the walnut cases from Alan Fallert, here on the forum, which allows for easy biasing.

I'm posting from work, and will add some details at home, or certainly answer questions. I'm not sure of pricing yet, as I have to track down all the receipts, but I certainly want to give fellow forum members a chance for some great vintage gear that was well cared for while in my system at a nice price. Hope all has been good here on the forum and that life has been treating you well.

Rob

Craig-

I'll take a look at my email at home and see what he did. I truthfully don't remember what I paid for it, but I can shoot you an email with more details tonight. It's been so long since I've been pricing gear, so I'm not sure what a fair price is...we can discuss.

Rob

Here is all the parts I installed in the 299B a few years back for Rob.

1- 4amp @ 800V bridge rectifier

1- 25uF @ 50V Sprague Atom Electrolytic

1- 10uF @ 250V

6 - .1uF Auricaps

2 - .047 Auricaps

4 - .022 Film and Foils

4 - 100K @ 1 Watt plate resistors

4 - 220K @ 1 Watt plate resistors

2 - 3.3 Ohm @ 1 Watt

1 33 Ohm 1 Watt

2 Terminal strips

4 - 10 Ohm 5 Watt 1% Vishay Dale resistors

4 - Bias test points

24 of hookup wire

4 - Russian NOS 7189 output tubes

Craig-

I'll take a look at my email at home and see what he did. I truthfully don't remember what I paid for it, but I can shoot you an email with more details tonight. It's been so long since I've been pricing gear, so I'm not sure what a fair price is...we can discuss.

Rob

Rob,

What ever is fair is fine with me. I really don't care what he did to it. He usually does just a bit more then nothing to the gear I have had run through here that he or Maple Shade has sold or worked on. I like it better that way!! I really do want the Tuner for sure just what I've been after because of the AM/FM ability all in one package.

Give me a call or I can call you if your email me the number. 810-287-6135

Yep, that sounds about right on the replacement parts. I found the original invoice as well as Craig's excellent 299B bias instructions that I will pass along. I did find the 4 Tele 7189s, so those will be included as well. If people are interested in pictures, let me know and I'll send them along, so as not to clog up the forum. The 299B is in very good condition, as Craig can attest, though he probably doesn't remember since it's been a few years since he worked on it.

Craig-

You've got email.

Parrot/RCarlton-

Yeah, every now and then I think how cool this program will be. A few weeks ago, I was down in Houston on business, and got to go "behind the rope" and tour the actual Apollo 17 capsule. An amazing piece of history, and one day, I hope to have a role in a similar way.

Mike-

Good to hear from you again. Talk about long time, no hear!! Yep, your Chorus IIs are still doing great as part of my HT, now located out in Colorado. Pics can be found here. http://www.snoozingdogs.com/Basementremodel.html

I need to do some updating as I've done a bit of tweaking on my gear, and Carlin's about 2.5 yrs older now, though you can view recent pics of her on the main page of our website. Over the Xmas break, I hope to swap out the Academy center with another Chorus II for some dramatic impacts.

Rob

The 333 is sold, but the 299B is still available. With the 299, I can offer either the Scott factory walnut cabinet, or the case from Alan, or, if someone wants them both, that's fine too.

Jmon-

It's amazing how kids can change your priorities. Carlin is getting old enough now to enjoy movies on the big screen, but with my workload, I don't get there very often. I figure Xmas will be a good time.

Here is the email corrospondence I sent to rob when I first opened his amp. He bought it from eBay and had it sent directly here.

Rob

Craig wrote:

Rob,

Well unboxed it and let me tell you I'm pretty sure I'm the very first person to ever remove this amp from the case since it was built. This is one pristine baby ! I truly believe it was a one owner and removed from service because the output tubes were going bad and they had a hard time finding new ones or just didn't bother and bought some new SS stuff in the late 70's. The Case is near perfect except for one indentation along the front top hardly noticable the case just needs some good coats of oil. The face plate is also near perfect just some real minor scratches. The chassis inside the case was filthy with what looks to be 40 years of dust which I did a quick clean up on and you can see the results from the last photo. The tubes are 100% original and except for the output tubes are all still in great shape. Telefunken 12AX7 rib plates, Bugle boy 6BL8's and a Scott 5AR4 ! The under chassis is 100% stock also. I did some quick testing and I bet after I bring it up on a variac all the High voltage cans will still be good and everything else test as it should. It will be at least a week down the road before I can do anymore to it I'm pretty backed up right now. Enjoy the pictures and get ready to throw your SS stuff to the curb !!

Craig

Man those were the day's. I was only a week behind LOL!!

Hi Jhawk92, you been away from the forum too long welcome back.

I've been working on one of the two contractor teams bidding to build the next manned space vehicle for NASA.

Wow we have a spaceman forum member, cool. Keep up the good work and enjoy those kids they grow up way too fast.

Jeff-

I'll give you a ring this evening...I'm headed for home and I'm sure it will be a hard drive with the big snowstorm we are having. They are calling for "feet" of snow by mid-day tomorrow.

Coytee-

Guess I must have missed an earlier post or an inside joke?

kaiser-

Thanks for the kind comments; it was quite fun designing the room and watching it come together. I wish I could spend more time down there, but that will happen in time. Yep, Carlin's a cutie, and quite a handful. We'll have to see how things go next month with her little brother around. It will be a while before we have a manned flight, but we will be having several big test flights starting in '08. Keep your eyes open for various announcements.

Alan-

Happy to be back, at least in a part-time sense. Hopefully schedules will allow a visit every now and then.