In Your Most Humble Opinion, What Is The Best Moving Coil Cartridge For $250.00 Or Less?

tom b. 57

I know you guys have some answers for me. I am wanting to upgrade my phono cart. and I believe a moving coil cart. is the way to go. After doing a little research, I find I can spend a small fortune on one. My dilemma is, I'm not a rich man but I do want the best available performance and reliability for a modest price. I figure you guys have had some experience with carts of varying price and performance. I am using a Scott 299D JVC turntable and ,or, an HK T60 turntable. Oh, and of course some Klipsch. I think I will be replacing the Grado on the HK first.

Tom

My limited experience I've only used one MC so far, that being the high-output Sumiko Blue Point MC cartridge. When new, this cart was about $249; now I think it's $299 and it's been redesigned. Still a bang for the buck since it's affordable, and due to being a high-output design it does not require a step-up transformer that low-output MCs need.

FWIW...

Tom--

No doubt the Denon is the value leader. Everyone likes them. Beyond the Denon, things get very pricey very fast. Also, don't forget you will need a stepup device to put in front of your Scott. And, you should check the mass of your arm for compatibility. You don't want a low mass arm.

Well, sounds like more money. A stepup device will run how much$$$? Boy, its never easy is it. I know I can use a MC cart. with my Phase Linear preamp, but I was wanting to use the Scott. My HK tt. does have a low mass arm, I believe. I will have to get the manual out and check. So, if it does, what MC cart. would be compatable with it? Any suggestions?

I like the Denon DL-103, it is punchy with good bass, it's dynamic and tracks well, whilst not being the best for detail. Because it's low output, a step-up will add expense. Therefore I suggest you consider the Dynavector 10X5 - it's a high output design, has good tracking, is very lively and will do a great job. The other high output cartridge I have heard that I really like is the Benz Glider, which is very sweet sounding, but I'm not sure of its pricing.

Check out the Audio Technica AT 440MML. Around $235 (not the ML). Square shank like the vinyl cutters and remarkable range. 5hz-50khz. I have quite a few cartridges costing MUCH more and the AT is sweet. It's a little hard to set up but when set is a great cartridge. Right out of the box is excellent. After a short break in period it really performs.

HarryO

Tom--

No doubt the Denon is the value leader. Everyone likes them. Beyond the Denon, things get very pricey very fast. Also, don't forget you will need a stepup device to put in front of your Scott. And, you should check the mass of your arm for compatibility. You don't want a low mass arm.

Well, sounds like more money. A stepup device will run how much$$$? Boy, its never easy is it. I know I can use a MC cart. with my Phase Linear preamp, but I was wanting to use the Scott. My HK tt. does have a low mass arm, I believe. I will have to get the manual out and check. So, if it does, what MC cart. would be compatable with it? Any suggestions?

If your arm is really low mass then a 103 is unlikely to work well. An alternative might be the Denon DL160 which has a higher output and a slightly higher compliance. You should not need a step-up transformer with this cartridge. The 160 can usually be found slightly cheaper than the 103.

If you are looking for a DL-103 then you can't go wrong with this guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Denon-DL-103-MC-cartridge-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ150074297875QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's $148 shipped to your door and is where I got mine. As a matter of fact I am going to order a spare.

He also sells the DL-160 for $170 shipped to your door

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-DL-160-High-Output-MC-cartridge-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ150072376397QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64620QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike