RC-52 center channel picking up RFI...

Blu Azure

I bought myself a RC-52 center channel over the holidays to replace the older KV-2 I used. It sounds great with effortless clarity and dynamics, with one odd problem:

When the RC-52 gets within 5 inches of the top of my TV, it emits a low buzz out of its tweeter and woofers, even with the speaker wires disconnected. When I turn off the TV the buzz vanishes. It looks like my RC-52 is picking up RFI from my TV, which is an older 32" Sony XBR90.

Has anyone else ever had similar problems with a center speaker before? Could it be a bad component in the crossover? I've never heard of a speaker being so sensitive to RFI that it could generate a hum with no speaker wire connected.

-Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the inductors in the crossovers aren't picking up a stray field from the TV....Does rotating the speaker (like making it point up) make a difference? I know the speaker won't be used in that configuration, but if it fixes things then you might consider rotating the crossover inside the cabinet.

I really have no clue though.

I'm quite sure that Dr. Who is correct.

This came up a long time ago with a Belle. FWIR the moderator said that Klipsch would sell the owner a plate of mu metal. It must have been expensive.

The sound that TNR describes is probably the degausing winding in the CRT which comes on at start up.

As far a cheap, practical solutions, I don't know. As the Dr. says, you might be able to find an orientation where there is less coupling, and then move the Xover, or move it outboard.

In all seriousness, you might try putting a cast iron frying pan or little cast iron griddle underneath the speaker. But then again, it would look just too funny.

Gil

My understanding is that aluminum is good for battling RFI, which I don't think this is. Instead, it sounds like EMI, a electromagnetic field, which is unaffected by aluminum but can be stopped by iron or steel, probably why Gil made that suggestion.

For the record, RFI is the same thing as EMI [;)] (radio frequencies are simply electromagnetic waves over a specified bandwidth).

Any form of shield used would need to have a connection to ground - a grounding point on the TV should be enough. As far as the material - it just needs to be able to conduct electricity and magnetism (which aluminum doesn't do as well).

If you know the frequency of the induced field, then you might be able to get by with a wire mesh - like what they use in microwaves.

Any form of shield used would need to have a connection to ground - a grounding point on the TV should be enough. As far as the material - it just needs to be able to conduct electricity and magnetism (which aluminum doesn't do as well).

Who really covered the bases with this paragraph. This is a classic approach that handles most likely causes.