blues recommendations

jrios212

Is there something wrong with; Mr. Eric Clapton....................Jimi Hendrix...................Robert Cray...................Stevie Ray Vaughan.............they would be a fine starting point..................Say what you want, the BLUES is Rock and Roll, just give it a listen............I like Electric Blues best, there is something about a GUITAR wailing in the background..............RED HOUSE by Jimi Hendrix is the Blues..................

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there something wrong with; Mr. Eric Clapton....................Jimi Hendrix...................Robert Cray...................Stevie Ray Vaughan.............they would be a fine starting point..................Say what you want, the BLUES is Rock and Roll, just give it a listen............I like Electric Blues best, there is something about a GUITAR wailing in the background..............RED HOUSE by Jimi Hendrix is the Blues..................

Well OK, then, it that's the case you gotta have Gary Moore and the Midnight Blues Band Live at Montreux 1990 (5.1 DVD, but the default is 2-channel with or without TV) he has the late great "Iceman" Albert Collins on 3 numbers. His finale of Roy Buchanan's "The Messiah Will Come Again" will tear into your sould. It's a very good recording sonically (Claude Nobs rules). Also Roy Buchanan's first album and his "When a Guitar Plays the Blues"

I don't know if this is considered one of the 'best' but maybe check out "Riding with the King" by B.B King & Eric Clapton. This is a DVD-A plus Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround. I have started to branch out with my listening patterns, and this one is pretty good with both content and quality of the recording.

I listen to a fair amount of blues and especially like electric, Chicago-style blues. One of my favorite artist is Magic Slim. Pick up Magic Slim and the Teardrops "Blue Magic." It has good music; is well recorded; and, sounds like the electric guitar is in the room with Klipsch and tubes.

the blues aren't about perfect recordings its about the feeling and emotion not to meantion some mean pick'n

i don't want white boys play'n my raggae
i don't want white boys play'n my blues

you might also want to listen to Robert Junior Lockwood whom Robert Johnson taught to play guitar.

johnny shines talks about life music and his old musical partner Robert Johnson 1969

keb mo

All of the suggestions so far are terrific.

I would add this as a good starter collection - House of Blues: Essential Shoebox Full of Blues

I have recommended this boxed set in the past to others who have wanted to start a Blues collection. With 18 discs it might be more than you are looking for but it has such a wide variety of artists and styles you know you will have a very good start with just one purchase.

- Jim

I clipped this review from a local online City guide, Newcitychicago.com

V/A
"The Essential Shoebox Full Of Blues"
(House Of Blues/Platinum)

Whoever really needs a "Shoebox Full Of Blues" this expansive is either named Bigfoot or has the worst case of blues you ever saw. Containing nine double-discs of classic and contemporary blues artists, this "Shoebox" covers every aspect of blues you can use, and then some more. While the House of Blues' generic packaging is only fair, this collection includes highly informative liner notes on an auspicious variety of designated blues categories. The box contains three separate volumes of "Essential" blues performances by everyone from Elmore James to Albert King to Jimmie Reed to Koko Taylor to Little Walter to Muddy Waters to R.L. Burnside and literally dozens of others. Besides the trilogy of greatest blues hits, the blues continues with other "Essential" compendiums including Blues Guitar, Blues Piano, Blues Harmonica, Texas Blues, Chicago Blues and even Women In Blues. While many chosen artists appear on several of these "essential" collections, there's little doubt that most of the blues being presented here actually is essential. Spanning rural and urban influences, fingerpicking and slide guitar, acoustic and electric excursions, vocal and instrumental prowess, barrelhouse, delta, rocking, boogie-woogie and jump blues (to name just a few), this shoebox serves as a veritable college of essential blues knowledge. With this collection as your guide, you'll soon learn the difference between a hoodoo, a mojo and a black cat bone. Like B. B. King once said, "How blue can you get?"

thanks everybody.  it looks like i have a lot to choose from.  even though i have enough cds to buy for the rest of the year, i say we keep this thread going with other recommendations.

maybe, we should also create other "recommendation" post categories like country, rock, jazz, etc.  this way if people want to learn about new music they can scan these different posts, depending on what they feel like. 

All of the suggestions so far are terrific.

I would add this as a good starter collection - House of Blues: Essential Shoebox Full of Blues

if this is a good sampling of what others have mentioned above i may try this, just so i can get a better idea of what i like and don't like.

have you ever been to the house of blues here in chicago?  i only ask because i just moved here and haven't really figured out where to go for good music.  i live in lakeview if anyone from chicago reads this post.

OB, I agree with you, Jimi was a fantastic Blues guitarist. I love this album -- Blues: Jimi Hendrix

1. Hear My Train A Comin'

2. Born Under A Bad Sign

3. Red House

4. Catfish Blues

5. Voodoo Chile Blues

6. Mannish Boy

7. Once I Had A Woman

8. Bleeding Heart

9. Jelly 292

10. Electric Church Red House

11. Hear My Train A Comin' (Electric)

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B000002OSK/sr=1-6/qid=1167838301/ref=sr_1_6/103-3527710-6881465?ie=UTF8&s=music

post-17373-138193184141_thumb.jpg

All of the suggestions so far are terrific.

if this is a good sampling of what others have mentioned above i may try this, just so i can get a better idea of what i like and don't like.

have you ever been to the house of blues here in chicago? i only ask because i just moved here and haven't really figured out where to go for good music. i live in lakeview if anyone from chicago reads this post.

Yes, I have been to the HOB many times, I don't care for all of the artists that play there, but they book such a variety you will eventually find someone to go see. Go to HOB.com click on the Chicago link and sign up for their concert updates. I would recommend picking up a copy of the "Reader" every Thursday to get a feel for the many venues in the city. It's free and has a lot of info, you can find it everywhere in your neighborhood. You have a lot to chose from in Lakeview as well as the rest of the northside. The Riviera and the Aragon are very close to you at Broadway and Lawrence, right next to the EL. The Aragon just had 3 nights with Umphrey's McGee, North Mississippi All Stars opened the first night, Los Lobos the second, and Taj Mahal the third. You are going to have a great time exploring this city.

- Jim

I certainly can't argue with the logic of starting out with a variety/sampler and expanding your blues collection from there. A more economical choice to the HOB Shoebox of Blues is to buy some of those disks individually. I've got most of them and would recommend the below 5 for a good sampling of blues. All of them are double disks and cover most every style of blues. If there is one "must own" blues CD, it is Muddy Waters' Folk Singer. It cannot be beat for audio quality and emotion. Muddy's Folk Singer is to blues what Miles' "Kind of Blue" is to jazz.

HOB Essential Blues
HOB Essential Blues 2
HOB Essental Blues 3
HOB Essential Chicago Blues (probably the best of the collection)
HOB Essential Guitar Blues

I would also recommend the 4-disk collection "Mean Old World: The Blues from 1940 to 1994" put out by Smithsonian. It is out of print, but can be picked up for around $24 used on Amazon. This covers about the same ground as the HOB sets and comes with an informative book that talks about the artists themselves. Great stuff!

thanks appleskinner,

i hadn't realized the whole box set was so expensive. hopefully i can find some of these cds at the best buy near me.

on a side note, i've been listening to a blues station on itunes and it's been pretty great so far. it streams at 128 kbps but it sounds pretty good. any other good online blues stations i should check out?

jacob

p.s. flannj .. i sent you a pm

thanks appleskinner,

i hadn't realized the whole box set was so expensive. hopefully i can find some of these cds at the best buy near me.

on a side note, i've been listening to a blues station on itunes and it's been pretty great so far. it streams at 128 kbps but it sounds pretty good. any other good online blues stations i should check out?

jacob

p.s. flannj .. i sent you a pm

pm back atchya

OB, I agree with you, Jimi was a fantastic Blues guitarist. I love this album -- Blues: Jimi Hendrix

1. Hear My Train A Comin'

2. Born Under A Bad Sign

3. Red House

4. Catfish Blues

5. Voodoo Chile Blues

6. Mannish Boy

7. Once I Had A Woman

8. Bleeding Heart

9. Jelly 292

10. Electric Church Red House

11. Hear My Train A Comin' (Electric)

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B000002OSK/sr=1-6/qid=1167838301/ref=sr_1_6/103-3527710-6881465?ie=UTF8&s=music

Just sampled it, and will RUN down to Best Buy tomorrow for this one. I love Jimmy..... Hey Joe....

I got to thinking about this thread today and realized that two of my favorite Blues artists haven't been given much mention. When I started listening to this music decades ago (don't ask how many) I tended to listen to mostly Chicago Electric Blues (which is still my favorite). Like most of us though, I learned and explored and my appreciation grew for other styles as well. Over the last 20 years or so I have really come to like R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough. Rougher and in some cases more politically incorrect than urban blues, their music relates a lifestyle that is far from anything this suburban white guy could understand. Yet I still can appreciate so much of their musicianship. I recommend both of them highly.

This one from Junior Kimbrough is a good start:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Better-Run-Essential-Kimbrough/dp/B00006AWM0/sr=1-4/qid=1167934755/ref=sr_1_4/103-3527710-6881465?ie=UTF8&s=music

- Jim

post-17373-13819318434244_thumb.jpg