Refurbished Receivers?

Klipsch-daddy

WHAT is your opinon on these refurbished on ubid. Would you be scared to purchased. They have some Denon avr-1601 receivers for reserve price of 219.00. They seem to have a 3 month warranty thur denon and you can purchase a extended 1 year warranty for 59.00 bucks??

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Doug, yes I did find the avr-1601 new for 230.00. Is this a goosd receiver. I am selling my kenwood vr-4080b that is 110 x 5. Will I be able to tell a good or a bad difference.

also I have been looking at the yamaha htr-5460.

------------------

My HTS:

This message has been edited by Klipsch-daddy on 12-03-2001 at 08:20 PM

doug,

I love the kenwood, it weights in at about 35 lbs, its very clean(in stereo) and looks awesome. But, when I listen in dsp modes like classic,jazz,theater, etc it sucks. It just sounds way worst than the Sony stde545 I had previous. Alot of people knock Sony down, but there sound fields are far superior than any other receiver I have listen. I have the kenwood on ubid now and it end at 8:00 cst and is currently at 300.00. If it gets close to 375.00 its gone. I am going to either a denon avr-1601 or 2802 or a yamaha htr-5460. What do you think about these receivers.

------------------

My HTS:

Dont get refurbished especially from ubid! I've recently been that route and am still awaiting them to credit my card for an HK avr510 that was doa. I sent the thing back almost a month ago and still am without a new reciever because the bastards are taking their sweet time to credit my card.

NO NO NO NO dont do it.cwm24.gifcwm23.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

SONY STD-D611 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

KD - I can't speak to the Yamaha, but I like the Denon models you are looking at. I think they offer a great sound with Klipsch at a reasonable price, especially if one is discontinued (the 1601). I'd go for the 2801/2802, though, if you can swing it for the extra bells/whistles.

I have never used DSP modes on my Denon. Personally, they just do nothing for me.

Doug

------------------

My System

DD,

Thanks for the replay, the only thing that is making me like the yamaha htr-5460 is that is has a dvd component output, d-tv, and monitor output. I really think this will be benificial in the future.

------------------

My HTS:

DD, LOOK AT ITS REAR END!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRETTY IMPRESSIVE

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kylk5C4Ff8e/ProdView.asp?s=0&g=10420&id=morephotosπ=2&i=022HTR5460&display=XL

------------------

My HTS:

Where are the 6Ch pre outs?I dont see any!WhenI buy a reciever it better have pre outs or its crossed of the list.

Still for a basic reciever this Yamaha should match well with Klipsches,and Klipsch work well with just a few watts very well.External power amps are not needed if a good sub contributes the low end.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEar,

I am tring my best to get the most for my money under 400.00. My family comes first and then its thee ole home theater.

------------------

My HTS:

Two things concern me. First the lack of pre-outs for other five channels and secondly there is only one digital coax input. That doesn't give you alot of flexibility as far as hook-ups go. My cable box is only coax and so is my CD-player. I would have a problem with just these two basic components. My friend got a yammy to run his B&W 303's and it does it very well. I think it was the 5250 or 5280 I am not sure. It has some definite querks with regards to ease of operation. I remember him having to go through a few extra operations to get it to play back DTS, but overall it is a good value. I have heard a couple of complaints about yammy's being too harsh with the already brighter (and of coarse lovely) sounding Klipsch speakers.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and enjoy!

JT

ps: I would wait until you can come up with another $100 and get the Outlaw receiver.

Klipschdaddy I am going to buy that exact yamaha reciever you are looking at. I heard it at sears recently and loved it. It also has the "bass extension switch" that boosts the bass 7 db at 70Hz. I love that feature and Yamaha is about the only manufacturer to offer it!

I'm not sure if you know but sears has an internet price matching policy. If you want to buy from them all you have to do is find the lowest proced htr5460 online, print that out and take it to Sears. They'll give you that price ...plus tax of course.

http://www.bndonline.com/yamht5chanpo.html has it for $314!cwm9.gif

The htr5490 has all the features the above members noted were needed and missing from the htr5460. It's only $519 at B&D but to my knowledge Sears doens't offer it Frown.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

SONY STD-D611 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-07-2001 at 08:36 AM

Guys what about some opinions on the denon avr-881 or avr-681(682)? vs the yama 5460.

------------------

My HTS: