Pirates of the Caribbean

boomac

I really enjoyed the first Pirates of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Caribbean movie but the sequel left me rather unimpressed. There seemed to be too much super natural, ugliness and gore. Disney had great characters to work with here and I think they botched things up.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Im curious as to how others perceived this movie; especially viewers that liked and were impressed with the original.

I watched it last weekend with the kids and I couldn't agree with you more. The first movie was fun, this one didn't do much for me (story wise). Also, it ended in the middle of the plot (if that is what you can call it) to set up a third movie. However, the visual effects were good, and the sound was very good.

first one was great and the second one was almost great.............too much of the ugly captain guy.......2nd one had quite a suprise ending with the "other" captain.

as with most movies it seems like the remakes are never as good as the first for some reason.

The third movie should be better. Ive heard Disney has received a lot of criticism about # 2. Sometimes these people try too hard. Youre right about that wheel Damon; I mean.what the heck. A good foot chase would have sufficed. They should allow Depp and the others to carry the show. The return of the old Captain will really help. Screw that octopus nosed goof ball! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive heard Disney has received a lot of criticism about # 2. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

They also "received" more money than any other movie last year, and one of the highest grosses of all time. How much do you really think they are going to change?

I saw POTC DMC last night, and I think its easily as good the first, maybe even better. They could have just used one big ball/wheel rolling through a forest instead of two, but otherwise it was darn entertaining. Maybe a little too much effort was put into having the characters spell out the P-L-O-T but the first one did that, too. DMC has as much Bruckheimerish gloss as the first one, but the effects are worth it -- Davey Jones is inventive and menacing as is the rest of his crew-He's the same Brit actor who played the old vampire in Underworld and the old rocker in Still Crazy and Love Actually --

If you liked Johnny Depp in the first, don't miss this one either--

I was thinking there might be a generation gap here but quite frankly neither of by kids (23 & 21) along with their friends, (they had a little party Friday night) liked the movie either. I can see why the take was high though. I would have seen it no matter what anybody said. Heck, I bought it before Christmas with little regard for what my son had told me after seeing it in the big theater several months ago. BTW, I stopped at Blockbuster last night and they must have had 40 copies available. That's gotta mean something! I give it 2 stars at best but I am anxious for number 3! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I guess you can put me into the 'watched the movie but thought it fell short' category. Yes, I still liked it, I will watch it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. But, I really loved the first one and thought it was outstanding. Maybe the first one was just too good for me which set me up for disappointment with the second one.

I am extremely pleased they have the "old captain" coming back, Geoffery Rush is fantastic in this role! I am excited about the 3rd installment, might be the first Blu Ray DVD I purchase (if I decide to go Blu Ray)!

D

• 2 weeks later...

Also in the 'like the first, second left me wanting' category.

It seemed like they overacted, like in the beginning both characters said "Captain..."

when the commodore guy talked about Sparrow, but, that's how it was written I guess.

I'm hoping the third brings it on home, I did buy the second one, I'm not crazy ;) but

I'm not as enthused with it as I was the first, the first was just plain great, witty and

perfect timing on everyone's part, the second one, just wasn't there, TOO much is sometimes TOO much.

My favourite line from the first movie;

"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "no". :)

G2

I'm with you Boom, its not an age thing. Johnny Depp and Oldman MADE the first movie and they should have kept what works. Hopefully they wrap it up well, it might be the one movie I see in the theater this year.

Oldman wasn't in Pirates...I assume you're talking about Geoffrey Rush? Anyway, haven't seen it yet either, although I enjoyed the first one for what it was. I was expecting crap and I was pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...