PROJECTION SCREEN

BigStewMan

I don't profess to be any expert on Big Screens, but high resolution is key IMO, and w/Hi-Def on the horizon (permanently), this feature will be a necessity.

I was real hesistant on purchasing my AKAI (3) years ago due to the changes in cable/satellite transmissions and FCC rulings that are coming into play.

$1,200 @ Sam's Club (lmao) CLOSEOUT MODEL

In the old days good large screens for movie and slide projection could be purchased for about $150.00 with the special reflective "beads". Nowadays I would want to see what each product would look like. At my local A/V store they have two rooms set up with expensive projectors and the resultant picture is a washout compared to the DLP 1080P HDTV's. And the difference is staggering. You might get the same performance with a white sheet hanging on the wall with a long pipe for a stretch weight.

JJK

You need to match the screen to your projector, projection distance and the environment you will be watching in.

We went with a medium high gain DaLite screen. It cost about $1000 and it is much better than the wall we were watching on before!

The glass beaded screens are still available but the viewing angle needs to be taken into account as beaded screens have a smaller angle in which to view them with the best picture, not to mention that they are very hard to clean.

You need to see many screens before you make a choice. A good screen can really make the HT, a bad choice (for your situation) can be too bright or washed out or too low contrast and you won't be happy.

Contact the manufacturers of the screens and ask for samples. Take the samples and tape them together and put them up on the wall, pick the one that you like the most. Everyones situation is different and you need to choose for yourself.

You can make your own screen in a variety of ways for around $100. I made mine and the PQ is stunning with a Sanyo Z5. Go to AVS forums under DIY screens and have at it!

I am however going to purchase Da-lite CinemaVision material (1.3 gain) and replace the BOC that I am now using as I can see some things that could be improved with a higher gain , this is going to cost a further $300.

BigStew,

It is not only important for video quality it is important for audio quality. Being new to the projector scene two years ago, I tried a DIY blackout cloth screen (about $40 bucks). Not bad, but it was my first so anything would look good to me as long as it was big...[:D] I had to position the center channel under the screen. I never liked the sound that way.

Next I decided that placing my center speaker behind the screen was highly desirable, so I did an acoustically transparent DIY Dazian CCC cloth screen (about $75). Better video, audio quality, and great bang for the buck. So far very modest investments...

Finally, I'm now using the SMX screen material from smxscreen.com. Much better video performance, and only about $400 for my 120" 16 x 9 screen. The audio performance only required a +1 dB adjustment to the center channel. One the owners of the AVSForum (Alan Gouger) tried the SMX screen and is using it in his theater. That's enough to tell me that there is only marginal (if any) improvement in the "top of the line" commercial screens. He has owned (and can afford) screens costing more than $5K. If it's good enough for him...it's good enough for me. Highly recommended!

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I do not have any financial or other interest in SMX. Just a happy owner.

BTW...

If any of you guys in this thread would like a sample of the SMX material, I've got some left over from my screen build and would be happy to send some to you. Just send me an email through this forum. I've probably got enough for 2-3 samples (18" x 24").

AVS forums does a great job. Depending on your room lighting conditions..AND obviously what projector you choose...

Do the projector first, then go to AVS and ask/ post around and yes listen to what works with your dealer too...

I can say when you get a great match in YOUR surroundings.. It can be breathless! I know mine is just fantastic!.

in researching my screen purchase i found that as mentioned, it all boils down to what kind of projector you are going to use.

if your useing DLP then most of the mid-gain screens are more than ok.

if your useing LCD then things get more interesting, if its a really bright (2k lumens and up) then see DLP. (also if you can afford a really bright LCD then the cost of your screen should be a moot point)

remember that most LCD's, after a good cali, will do 900 to 1000 lumens at best and to achieve acceptable brightness without giving up good black levels you should lean towards a good grey screen.

i decided on a fixed Stewart Filmscreens Firehawk to go with my Sony vpl-vw12ht

jay

• Like 1