tpg

Well, I have dirty power that has a pretty hefty amount of DC in it. My meter is showing anywhere between .4 to .7 V of DC on my 120VAC line. I bought a Monster PowerCenter HTS3600 MKII or something like that... It had the three stage v2.1 filters and this and that, but it didn't solve my DC problems. As a result, my two nicer audio components that feature torroidal transformers still hum with or without the power conditioner. So, I am looking into other options. I need a DC blocker and the only power conditioner I found that features DC blocking is a PS Audio (I think) from AV123, but it costs $499, which is out of my price range. Does anyone just sell a simple plug-in filter I could buy? I know I could make one, but I don't trust things that I build and I'd probably mess it up anyway, which could cause catastrophic problems...

Anyone know of any cheap-ish commercial DC blockers? Thanks all

I once posted a simple DC blocker circut that used capacitors, resistors, and diodes. A few forum members chimed in and posted links to simular designs. I think I have a copy of the circut on my Latop which i keep at the office. I'll see about finding the schematic and re-posting.

Do you have light dimmers that use semi-conductors....these are a source of DC in home circuts.

Well, I have dirty power that has a pretty hefty amount of DC in it. My meter is showing anywhere between .4 to .7 V of DC on my 120VAC line. I bought a Monster PowerCenter HTS3600 MKII or something like that... It had the three stage v2.1 filters and this and that, but it didn't solve my DC problems. As a result, my two nicer audio components that feature torroidal transformers still hum with or without the power conditioner. So, I am looking into other options. I need a DC blocker and the only power conditioner I found that features DC blocking is a PS Audio (I think) from AV123, but it costs $499, which is out of my price range. Does anyone just sell a simple plug-in filter I could buy? I know I could make one, but I don't trust things that I build and I'd probably mess it up anyway, which could cause catastrophic problems...

I once posted a simple DC blocker circut that used capacitors, resistors, and diodes. A few forum members chimed in and posted links to simular designs. I think I have a copy of the circut on my Latop which i keep at the office. I'll see about finding the schematic and re-posting.

Do you have light dimmers that use semi-conductors....these are a source of DC in home circuts.

I too have bad power with a lot of sags/spikes, brownouts etc (I cant even keep light bulbs to last much more than a few weeks) The power company says it's "as good as it gets"

An audio buddy suggested I try an isolation transformer, so I purchased a Hammond 171F ($166) which is good to 750 watts of equipment consumption (they also make a 1000 watter)

http://www.hammondmfg.com/171.htm

It definately helped a lot but it's still not perfect (I think the transformer itself may be contributing some of it's own 60Hz hum)

I was thinking of adding a filter in the cable, any suggestions?

Fritz would your filter schematic apply to this? (got a part number for the diodes?)

WOT

I too have bad power with a lot of sags/spikes, brownouts etc (I cant even keep light bulbs to last much more than a few weeks) The power company says it's "as good as it gets"

An audio buddy suggested I try an isolation transformer, so I purchased a Hammond 171F ($166) which is good to 750 watts of equipment consumption (they also make a 1000 watter)

http://www.hammondmfg.com/171.htm

It definately helped a lot but it's still not perfect (I think the transformer itself may be contributing some of it's own 60Hz hum)

I was thinking of adding a filter in the cable, any suggestions?

Fritz would your filter schematic apply to this? (got a part number for the diodes?)

WOT

You should add up the voltage ampere requirements for everything that is connected to the transformer.

The determine the efficency of the transformer by measuring it's idle or no load voltage and it's normal use loaded voltage.

Goal is 5% drop. The greater the drop, the more likey that your saturating the transformer windings....probable cuase of any transformer induced hum.

I dont think it's anywhere near overloaded as there's only 3 loads connected to it

1 - JEL 300B SET Integrated amp

1- Carver C1 Pre-Amp

1- Thorens TD-800 series Turntable

I doubt that I'm even at 1/2 of the transformer's rated (contiuous) wattage of 750W Although I must admit I've never measured it, but I'll try what you suggest

Thanks

WOT