Cary Amps?

tom b. 57

http://www.caryaudio.com/pdfs/manuals_archive/sla70b_sla70b_sig_v1.pdf

There are 2 versions, see the Cary web site.

As far as sound and value, the value is the easy one to answer. Cary uses high quailty parts in the amps, see the spec section for details. The Amps have a very wide bandwidth.

Sound wise is a subjective isue. This particular amp is Class AB. There is no indication if the amp supports switching from Tetrode mode to Triode mode. Some amps can easily be moded into one or the other.

I have a pair of Cary mono blocks of an earlier vintage. Sound wise, it compares well to my Mcintosh tube amp.

The price is very good for a Cary amp. You can expect to buy some tubes unless the seller did so recently. The good thing is that the tubes used by the SLA70 are faily common and in expensive.

Tech support from Cary is excellent. I frequenctly exchange emails and/or am on the phone with Cary Audio. Schematics are available from Cary for most models for a reasonable price.

I use my Cary amps on my LaScala's.

I finally received a return email from the seller. He has owned it for over 8 years and has only used it sparingly. He thinks there should be plenty of life left in the tubes. There is one issue. A broken plastic post for a rectifier tube. He assures me that it does not affect the performance one bit and is only noticeable when the tube is removed. He is taking best offer. Does anyone have a comment on the steatement about the performance with a broken post? What would be a really great price to offer for this unit? I am in no hurry to spend more money and will purchase only if I can get a great deal. So what do you guys think?

Tom

Any thoughts on the broken post? Is the issue basically a cosmetic thing or should it be repaired asap?

Hard to second guess the seller on this....he has the amp...we don't....if he says it does not effect the operation of the amp...I have no reason to question his integrity....I can imagine it working ok.

Any thoughts on the broken post? Is the issue basically a cosmetic thing or should it be repaired asap?

A broken post is of little consequence as long as you line up the pins correctly. Besides, the rectifier tube for a SLA70 is most likely a 5U4/GZ37 (a Cary favorite) which is very plentiful and cheap.

Cary amps are a bit hit and miss with high-efficiency speakers. The amps themselves are fine - good parts and nice build but Cary used Alon speakers to test the amps and while they may be quiet as a mouse on the Alons, they might be noisy on Klipsch. I bought a Cary 845 amp back when they worked out of a glorified small-assembly facility - you know, the buildings with a bunch of units with a truck-loading door out front. Anyway, I went there on a Sunday to pick up the working model that the designer was selling and he demoed the amp on some Acarian Alon II's. The amp sounded great on them and on a pair of ProAc speakers I had at the time. Unfortunately, when I got the Khorns, I could hear quite a bit of noise which I'm sure was the result of the 2 driver stages Cary used just so that their customers wouldn't have to buy efficient speakers to hear a SET. I'm sure Cary has since addressed this as I've heard very quiet Cary amps paired with efficient speakers but the SLA70's were built around the same time as the 845 - maybe earlier so you might want to consider that before you jump.

The SLA70 normally sell for $500-700; the Signatures run $650-800. 

I've had a few Cary's here. The build quality and looks are usually top notch. The sound I will have to say is just so so in the amps I have heard. But I'm sure they have winners and losers like all companies that release tons of gear constantly. I'd say for the price why not give it a whirl.

Craig

The plastic post is a "key" to line-up the tube pins with the appropriate holes on the tube socket. You just need to be sure that it goes back in the same way that it came out. The pin is probably rattling around inside the amp chassis and you could perhaps super glue it back on as a reference but it may not stay put like new. It will not effect the operation of the amp at all.

-Bill

I like Cary amps. They have really good build quality and reliability. But I have to say this, I don't think they are that good with very sensitive speakers like Klipschorns and La Scalas. I can't put my finger on it, but they tend to sound a little... grainy, I guess. But with other non horn loaeded speakers, Cary amps sound great. In saying that, my opinion is based on an audition with the Rocket 88 drivng La Scalas...

I know TB would say it's just the La Scalas... [;)]