Audyssey.. How good is it?

Raider

I was reading about how Audyssey working with Alpine to develop their EQ for car audio, and noticed that Denon also uses Audyssey eq in their receivers.  I also noticed that SVS was introducing a unit using Audyssey technology that is similar to Velodyne's SMS1, but it uses multiple measurement points which would seem to me to be a more practical application of EQ.  How good is it, and how does it compare to YPAO from Yamaha.  

Thanks

The Denon implementation that I read about does not sound good. It works better in some rooms than others.

Any EQ adds a strain onto the amp and can induce clipping. For example, the EQ may try to boost a null in the bass frequencies which is impossible. The bass boost may induce clipping. Any EQ needs the ability to manually tune it to avoid excessive boost in any frequency.

I have a Pioneer Elite with MCACC auto EQ and love it. It does not EQ the bass frequencies, but does EQ other frequencies in the time domain. I use a Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ the bass.The auto mode on the SMS-1 is just so so. Manual setting is needed for the best bass EQ.

Bill