Quintet III and SP-1?

Iknownothing16

Quick question, how does everybody think a Quintet III system with a Synergy Sub-10 would do if paired with the discontinued Synergy SP-1s? The SP-1s would serve as Right and Left speakers while the Quintet speakers would cover center and all surround in a 7.1 surround set up. Since the SP-1s already have subs the Sub-10 would go in the back left corner of the room. Currently we have no place to put all 7 speakers so it would be a 5.1 set up. The room that it needs to fill is approxiametly 13 feet wide and 24 feet long (estimate is probably on the short side)

The SP1's are much larger, and more powerful than the quintet system. You may have a problem with them "overtaking" the quintets. I dont' really think it would sound that good. Why the quintets anyway? You can find the SC1 center, and SS1 surrounds at Onecall.com I got those speakers for $500 brand new. They are an authorized dealer of Klipsch.

What will you use the system for, HT or music? The quintents are great speakes and will go very loud for small speakers, do you alrady have them hooked up?. If you want a 7.1 system I would just buy the b-2's for 200 and use those for mains, but i am not very familiar with the SP-1's.

I got a SC1 center, and two SS1 surrounds. those are the recommended speakers for the SF1, SF2, SB2, and SB3. Ya, you won't get a sub, but I think you'll regret if you get the quintets though. You could even get away with getting SS.5 surrounds, which are about $100 less than the SS1's

It will be used for both music and HT, but since music is in stereo wouldn't the SP-1s and the sub handle that? Also, not buying a sub isn't such a loss since the SP-1s have a sub built in. I don't have them hooked up but I do have them and plan to hook them up and test them soon, but not for at least a week because I don't have the time. Also with the SS.5, there's not a whole lot of difference between those and the Quintet surrounds it seems like, same power handling as satellites on Quintet (50 watts), almost the same Sensitivity 90.5 dB (Satellite), 90 dB (SS.5), only major differences are component size and frequency response. And the SS.5 is a whole lot more than the price of one Quintet. I can see why the SS-1 is a much better choice but what's your reasoning behind the SS.5?

Yes, the SP1, and sub would handle the music side of things. I recommended the SS.5's because I have a pair of them. I use SS1's now, but used the .5's for about 4 years, and they sounded really nice. I use them for side surrounds now in a 7.1 setup. The most important thing to look at here is that none of your front soundstage out perform each other. You don't want to drown out the center speaker because your main's are too much for them. But the surrounds aren't as important for power handling. The SP1 and SC1 both have a peak wattage of 400 watts. The quintets (i think) only handle up to 200 watts. so you will definitely have trouble with that little center not being able to "hang" with the SP1's. But, anyway, I used the SS.5's for years, with SF1 fronts, and a SC1 center, and they did just fine. But if you don't mind spending the extra $100, definitely go for the SS1's.

Though I agree that the SC-1 would do better than the Quintet center the Quintet center still handles 300 watts peak, not 200, and 75 watts long term, so for the $250 it's a really good deal if it works. I'll have to test it this weekend (or next if I can't find the time) and tell you how (or if) it works out. Thanks for all the advice.