Best prepro & amps for Ultra 2 speakers

mark34

I am going to be using Klipsch Ultra 2 set up with new dedicated home theater under construction. This is a large room: about 23 X 19 with 11' ceilings. I plan to use a JVC RS-1 on a 123" fixed screen. 

I have a pretty decent budget for equipment, originally budgetting for McIntosh MX207 7 channel amp with MX119 prepro. This is almost $12K. I have decided to spend more for room treatment than originally planned. I am hesitating to spend so much on electronics, especially given technology changes. I consider Amps to be stable long term pieces, but pre-pros have obsolescene issues. 

How important do people feel it is to match the amp and pre-pro? Is it a brand or "flavor" of sound issue? 

I would love to find a strong combination that mates well with the Ultra 2 Klipsch speakers since they tend a touch towards bright. I would also love to find something in the $6 to $8K combined range. Can I do so and still have a "no limits" beautiful sounding great system? By the way, it will be almost 100% home theater as opposed to 2 channel audio. 

One of the most promising bang for the buck combos I have read about is the NAD Masters Series (M15/M25). Any thoughts on how well these would work with the Klipsch Ultra 2? How much better would the McIntosh set-up be? 

Any other thoughts? The Arcam AV9 looks amazing, but is actually a more expensive pre-pro. I would like at least some HDMI switching (NAD has 2, no processing), though I can do that outboard if necessary. Had thought about the DVDO VP50, but the JVC has pretty good VP.

What about perhaps a less expensive prepro combined with the McIntosh amps, and then buy a new pre-pro when the dust settles a bit on HDMI 1.3 and TrueHD, etc.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above, particularly on the NAD Masters Series. That seems like incredible gear for $6K. Only 160W per channel, but apparently that is conservative and it has stronger peak ability and the Klipsch is quite efficient.

How do I find out if an amp/pre-pro combination is "warm", which I believe is what I am looking for with this speaker system.

Thanks.

Mark

I have been looking at the anthem D2 audio/video processor with a P5 amp. I have not heard them with the ultra speaker but they sound great on the rf-83's. A friend of mine has the anthem avm-50 pre with the mca 50 amp on his ultra 2 system and thinks the world of it. i hope to be able to hear his system next week.

Look hard at the Sunfire Theater Grand IV, or the new one.. V... (only difference is the HDMI inputs) and a Sunfire 200x7 amp...

That ... OR go with the used MKT and get the Aragon Stage One and the Aragon 200x7 amp as well.

I am also sure I can get a better price on your mac 119 - 2007 if your very seriously interested going that route too?

I would also make sure you go with 7 channels as a minimum. That is where it is all going.

I love and appreciate both the Sunfire and Aragon products.

I'm one who believes the pre/processor affects the sound dramatically more than the amp, based on my trials, although a small sample. You state "100% home threatre", you might try home auditioning the Outlaw Audio components. Their 990 pre/pro is excellent especially for $1200. I also like their amps but you could add any other brand amp you choose. I have tried this pre with all the Klipsch in my sig line & don't have any "brightness" issues.

The above setup or one similar would allow a good portion of your budget for a dedicated audio system. Just my .02.

The Sunfire and Aragon amps are great matches to the Klipsch lineup.

A well behaving amp should work well with any well behaving pre/pro. At this price point I would recommend getting the most out of your amplification - especially in light of the transitioning HD market.

I haven't heard the Sunfire combo mentioned with any Klipsch speakers, but personally think the build quality on them is top notch. Have you tried listening to them with Rotel stuff as well? Sunfire makes a 400 watt by 5 and 7 channel version of their amp, but I'd still lean towards the Rotels because of their design.

I bought a used MC206 and love it. Using a MX134 with it. It upscales, but not with HDMI yet. Of course, my current tv does not have it either.

The sound is great with my speakers. Yes, the MC207 and MX135 are newer, but I was able to afford my present set up better.

I figure that at some point, I could always go with a newer pre/pro if I needed or wanted to, once I get a tv with hdmi, etc. But, the MC206 should be sounding good when my kids inherit it some day.

Paul