Mid Drivers: K-55-V or K-55-M?

Satyr

In rebuilding an old set of Heresys (H-700s), the current mids are done for so they'll need to be replaced. The tweeters are K-77-M, the old mids were K-55-V. This speaker has a Type E network.

My question is two part: Should I put in a K-55-V so it will all be as before, or will a K-55-M be the nicer option and if so do I need to make any changes to the network?

Minimal opinions, maximum facts please.

You need to ell us what's wrong with the -Vs. Commonly the voice

coil opens and you replace the diaphragm for $55. Solder terminal

-Vs (with "two-piece" phase plugs are the best of the available

squawkers. The K-52 of the Heresy 1.5 could be a good

option. I have no hard data on it. BEC might.

The old K-55-V, the lugs have broken clean off and there's no where to attach wires. The old owner had them for a long long time and he didn't know when/how that happened. Suffice to say I got the speaker for $15. Sound does come out fine from both the tweet and woof, no tears or any damage to the woof cone I can see of. So that's why I was asking about K-55-V or K-55-M. The tweeter is a K-77-M. Again, would a K-55-M require making changes to the network?

The K-55V and K-55M are NOT interchangeable. The K-55M runs about 1.5db hotter, the Heresy top end already runs HOT and running an M will require modifications to the crossover. Your best bet is to replace it with a K-55V preferably the solder terminal version with the dual phase plug since it is probably the best sounding of the Klipsch mid drivers.

Since I decided to build some networks for a few people, I felt the need to revisit this issue a couple of weeks ago. Since Klipsch took that driver down a bit extra with the T4A -- I feel comfortable trusting the plots I just posted.

"I guess it depends on who does the testing."

And the horn and the individual variation of the drivers being tested and where you decide to look at the curve.

I have found that, at least the way I would analyze the curves I have done, the K-55V single piece phase plug to have higher output than either the K-55M or K-55V 2 piece phase plug.

Bob

Dean's graph's just prove to me what my ears already know. It is not too tough to detect a 1.5db difference in sensitivity in the midrange band.

I also heard it originated from some prodding of Trey and Steve P at one of the Pilgrimage's that the -M ran hotter than the K-55V (both versions).

Hee hee. I think that second plot must have been a 40 year old K-55-V and a new out of the box K-55-M. Actually, I may have to remove that plot. That one was posted by Shawn, and I think maybe it was to compare FR, not sensitivity -- IOW's, I think he may have bounced up the position of one so he could get a better look at the FR of both. I'll email and ask. Still, we can use the first plot, the word of a few inside of Klipsch, and deduction from the changes in the network when they switched drivers.

Dean's graph's just prove to me what my ears already know. It is not too tough to detect a 1.5db difference in sensitivity in the midrange band.

I also heard it originated from some prodding of Trey and Steve P at one of the Pilgrimage's that the -M ran hotter than the K-55V (both versions).

It originated when I brought some networks I had built for Craig to Indy a few years ago. When we loaded them up in Trey's late model LaScalas, he *****-slapped me in public for having the autoformer tapped out at 4 and 0. Looking back on it now, I should have to told him to relax -- that I had a big *** swamping resistor in there. Anyways, Trey and Steve told me the K-55-V was 2.5dB hotter. By the end of the night, I had them down to 1.5dB.:) It really just depends on what part of the driver's response you look at.

"I think that second plot must have been a 40 year old K-55-V and a new out of the box K-55-M."

I think it was a K55v out of a '76 LaScala and a K55M out of around an '84 LaScala if I am recalling the vintage of my LaScalas correctly. They were also on a 511B horn. But vintage is an important consideration since Alnico can loose magnetism easier then the later 'mud' units.

"Actually, I may have to remove that plot. That one was posted by Shawn, and I think maybe it was to compare FR, not sensitivity -- IOW's, I think he may have bounced up the position of one so he could get a better look at the FR of both."

Yes, FR not sensitivity. The original thread that was posted in is here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/276842.aspx

Shawn