Need input...price on 10.5" RTR tapes

What is the current market for NEW 10" maxell reel-to-reel tapes. I am bidding on ebay for some of these tapes.

Just curious what the consensus would be on pricing, so fire away please! When I first got into these reels, they ran up to $48.00 and last time I checked around $80.00, but not sure if these items have diminished in value or appreciated due to scarcity.

Can anyone help clarify where I stand?

Hello, I have watched maxell XLI 35- 180B and maxell XLII 35-180 EE for 5 years. virgin unopened XLI 35-180B is pretty rare. virgin unopened XLII 35-180 EE is extremely rare. the virgin XLI fetch between 50.00 and 90.00. virgin XLII EE could fetch well over 100.00. Usually the best prices are multiple reel offerings. For the 5 years I have been watching there are a couple of ebayers (teba7, pyne) that bid on about every virgin reel of tape that is evered offered. Some times these guys bid through the roof, other times they put in low bids and get out bid. On a personal note, I think that maxell XLI 35-180B is the best tape you can buy. I have 2 teac x 2000R's and just love them.

10 1/2 tapes are still in demand.....I get anywhere from $10 to $25 for blank unused tape Scotch & Ampex..Maxell mutch higher....10 1/2 tape machines are still being made by Otari , 5050 MKIII. Nagra, & ATR refurbishing or rebuilding Ampex ATR-100. Half inch & one inch tapes have not slacked off in demand. 2 inch tapes go for $400 and up. Some musicians still demand the master tape to be analog.

• Moderators

Maron,

Here is where I purchase my Emtec: http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/1oprereta1.html

I know your feelings about Ampex/Quantagy, I have nightmares with the stuff but the Quantagy made from 2000 on you should have no problems with. I have a bunch of pancakes, I can load one on the flange you sent me for you to try out if you would like? Are you recording again? Do you want to get in our tape exchange?

Travis

• Moderators

This is a great place to get Quantegy, their prices are incredible and this is brand new stock. You will need empty flanges if you want 10.5 inch however. They only have pancakes in the 10.5 inch, but at $20.00 per reel for 456 and 499 this pricing it just fantastic.

http://www.totalmedia.com/catalog/catalog_home.asp?CatID=1632&OID=-1&CID=&bustype=01

Travis

Thanks....I have 20 years of recorded music...I am really looking for a playback only machine , as you know need two units to make any copys.....I can modify a second unit & install 2 track playback head....I missed out on a Crown playback unit last year...It used Nortronics heads...I think i have a source for that ( If he,s still alive) ....I just ran across three recorded tapes downstairs.i did for America In Concert NPR. I dont remember if these are the Masters or sub master copys...So now Im going through the storage shelves & checking everything.. At the moment Im up to my buns in ice, car in a ditch, Mail box,s to this group of homes aprox. 4 city blocks away..Neighbor says dont get out ice under snow is too dangerous...cabin fever is driving wife nuts...Honey doo,s piling up..But i dont want to do them. I have enough food for approx 3 weeks then We,r done for. Grocery store is 14 miles away... I have one recent Ampex/Quintagy. I might do a slow rewind & check for any shedding. I still have a few flanges left thank you..

If anyone needs a new Maxell MR-7 empty reel I have one in the original box that I'm going to put on Epay unless some one wants it here. It's not sealed but is new. $20.00 includes shipping anywhere in the USA. I'm strictly using 10.5" now, so this is just gathering dust. Send me an email if you're interested.

Kevin

If anyone needs a new Maxell MR-7 empty reel I have one in the original box that I'm going to put on Epay unless some one wants it here. It's not sealed but is new. $20.00 includes shipping anywhere in the USA. I'm strictly using 10.5" now, so this is just gathering dust. Send me an email if you're interested.

Kevin

x2...I also have a spare empty 7" and 10" reel if anyone is looking!

Kevin

x2...I also have a spare empty 7" and 10" reel if anyone is looking! BTW, it is the Maxell UD (ultra dynamic) 35-180 10.5" reels of which I speak!

...and I just won my first bid of $40.00 (includes shipping)! Hope I did well!

post-24109-13819321566048_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...