7.1 to 5.1 to 7.1

BobbyT

I tried a little experiment over the past two weeks. Since I have a small room, 14x15, I thought I would see if I noticed a difference dropping to 5.1. I immediately noticed a hole in the soundfield. Now had I never ran in 7.1 everything may have sounded great. But to me it was noticeable. I decided not to tell the wife and left the all of the speakers in place to see if she would notice. After watching two movies she told me something sounded different, off. The system didn't sound the same. My wife is one who would normally care less, and like having lees speakers in the room. But she even said to hook them back up. SO back to 7.1 it is. Thought I would share my findings.

There you have it. 100% of wives tested prefer 7.1 over 5.1. That's all I need to know.

[:D]

DrWho I left everything exactly where it was. I kept my RF3-IIs as the surrounds and kept them behind the couch where they have always been. Plus I didn't want my wife to know so everything looked as it always did. I did re calibrate the system. It could be that the way I set up the room 7.1 just works better than 5.1 at creating a more enveloping soundfield.

There you have it. 100% of wives tested prefer 7.1 over 5.1. That's all I need to know.

[:D]

DrWho I left everything exactly where it was. I kept my RF3-IIs as the surrounds and kept them behind the couch where they have always been. Plus I didn't want my wife to know so everything looked as it always did. I did re calibrate the system. It could be that the way I set up the room 7.1 just works better than 5.1 at creating a more enveloping soundfield.

So not an entirely fair comparison...but I still agree with your conclusions [Y]

So Mike...can we get 30 different people in here to get enough N?

Did she make the conclusion that something had changed without any
prompting or questioning whatsoever? That would be the true test. Of
course statistically you need to have N >= 30 (N is number of
samples tested)

Yes she did. She told me on her own that something didn't sound right with the system, that it sounded off.