Found a good cable for KLF 20s!

JoshT

One year ago I bought my Audio Quest type 6 speaker cable to try some "high end" cable for my 3.1s. It was "used" cable from Audio Advisor for $ 90. I think it made some difference over the 14 gauge basic Monster Cable I was using. Then I upgraded to RB5s in August 2000.

A couple of months ago I biwired the RB5s using the Type 6 for the highs and some new 12 gauge Radio Shack speaker wire for the lows.

NOW that sounded better!

I do not think I will buy Type 6 to replace the Radio Shack. I cannot imagine it making much of a difference. There are probably countless low quality wires and PCB traces inside speakers,cd player and receiver that we will all have to live with as MDENEEN stated.

Does anybody disagree that biwiring offers advantages?

SamP,

I tell people "Don't turn that knob!"

Of course, I get laughed at a lot too. Something to the tune of "Opinionated, anin't he!"

And of course I ignore it and continue with my advise.

But on the other hand, the music is what counts anyway.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

• 3 weeks later...

A little late in the arguement but...

Josh, the T2Biwires made a tremedous change in the 3d imaging of a set of KG5.5s 6 or so years ago when I got them (and still do)

For all the disbelievers, just keep in mind these are not just wires. They have a box that contains a passive circuit that in most account is call a zobel network.

Here is the first link I found for the unknowing: http://www.trueaudio.com/st_zobel.htm

Anytime you give a more presentable load to an amplifier, distortion and other audible components can be decrease. Sure there is a lot of snake oil in this hobby, but some do actually have a measurable and audible result.

It is a costly solution that can be incorporated DIY on the xover or box between the amp and speakers. Keep in mind you can "blow" the speaker cable (doesn't that sound funny) so be careful!

-CAL

from the first article in this thread

quote:

I ordered a pair of the MIT Terminator2 Biwire cables from AudioAdvisor a couple of weeks ago. Even at half off, they are around $200 a pair depending on length, and that doesn't include the ICONN connectors you have to buy.

These have zobels/networks. Kinda makes the whole "arguement"/thread moot huh?

-CAL

quote:

Out of the 18 posters to this thread, I am probably the only person who did NOT know that the MIT cables mentioned in the first post had discrete components affixed

Based on the content of the thread and if I were a betting man, I'd say you were not. smile.gif

I have also wondered how to classiffy the MIT cables plus "tweak".

An in line fixed EQ?

The components really adjust the resistance?

Has anybody seen a detailed review on any of the MIT cables?

They are kind of an expensive "tweak" considering it may difficult to audition unless you take advantage of the Audio Advisor 30 day money back offer.

Josh,

Now if you will remember I told you to buy those MIT's almost a year ago. Shame on you for waiting so long. Simply a great cable for the Klipsch - really opens up the highs and takes the 'edge' off. Are those KLF20 biwirable? I mean...how much time do you really spend in that bedroom (and what the hell are you doing in there)?

I'll let you in on another little secret. $15 coaxial cables terminated with RCA connections simply crushed my fancy audiophile cables.I wanted something that looked a little nicer so I threw some Monster M500V's (yes...it's a video cable) into the loop. Solid copper core with great shielding properties. I think horns just like solid wire. I mean - everytime I doubt myself and throw those other cables on - the depth of the soundfield just shrinks back away from me back towards the speakers.

I still think cables make at least as much a audible difference as many equipment changeouts (within reason - I'm not saying cables can make a Pioneer receiver sound like an amp utilizing discrete components).

At any rate - welcome to the world of MIT and the PFM factor.

Dean,

Hi Dean,

So, you are the one. I do remember someone putting that thought in my mind on this bulletin boardn quite some time ago.

I must admit, though, that I bought them for the Krell/B&W combo in my bedroom, to tame some high frequency sizzle. I finally have the correct terminators for the B&W binding posts and will move them to the bedroom system soon. At 12 feet, the cables are a bit too long for the Klipsch system in the living room (the components are all off to the side of the speakers in the bedroom system, but are in the middle of the speakers in the living room). If still available at AudioAdvisor, I will get 8' lengths for the KLF20s in the living room, as my earlier assessment of them still stands. Imaging is improved and the bass sounds stronger. I like!

Sorry to all who did not know about the boxes at the end. All MIT cables have them, and that is what they are famous for. I bought them because of many positive reviews, particularly from folks with more forward sounding systems, and because of the 30 day return policy.

Ciao!

Oops, I just double posted by mistake. Let's see how much the edit feature will allow me to delete.

BTW, Dean, it's been a long time since I've seen you here or at AudioAsylum. You still have the RB5s? I still wonder whether I should have bought the RB5s, or Heresys, and a tube amp rather than the B&W CDM1SEs and the little Krell monster, but I am enjoying the variety (Klipsch/Rotel in living room and B&W/Krell in bedroom).

Regards,

JoshT