need opinions on puchasing a new subwoofer

bigdog33

I am looking at buying a surround sound system ang gor a few questions about what sub would fit well. I am looking at maybe getting the RF-7 or maybe RF-82 recommended systems w/out the sub. I am looking at the Klipsch RT-12d, JL Audio F113, or maybe a SVS. The room is 23x24 with a cathedral ceiling rising from 8 to 12 feet. I was wondering if these subs are big enough for the size of the room? The system will be used mainly for TV/Movies and some music. looking for opinions on these subs or maybe others that might fit better.

Your room is almost identical in dimensions and shape to mine. My room also has 2 door openings (with no doors to close) and 1 door that can be closed. I wouldn't put anything less than a PB12+2 (or another brand equivalent) in that room. I use mine primarily for HT and like to crank it up at times. Single driver subs didn't cut it for me in that room. Bear in mind that this was pre-JL. I even had an SVS PCU. If you never get too loud or don't have the room for a BIG sub or multiple subs, a single driver sub may suit you just fine. Beware, as quality bass is addictive to some.

Welcome to the Klipsch forum

I see you are looking for a quality subwoofer for a huge room. The RT-12d as good as it is stands no chance against the JL Audio f113 in quantity and quality of sub bass,and extension...not even close. SVS and HSU,great subs when on budget,however the JL Audio bests all SVS and HSU subs in quality and output(only the dual driver Ultra bests the f113(in output) and not by much.

Velodyne bring them on,the DD18 has 6dB less oputput down deep and sound quality is matched overall with the f113.

Bottom line the f113 knocks them out,some first round carnage some late round stoppage(DD18). [;)]

In a room as big as yours I woudl start with one f113 and if needed add a second one.

PS Before I buy my f113,the answer would not the so one sided,as subs were much closer in performance and output. JL has done as much for home subs as they have for car subs,pushed many of the competitors and would be competitors to redesign. SVS can no longer stomp the competition in output,as a sealed contender has showed it can go toe to toe in output. To acomplish this you need a woofer capable of a massive stroke,and the modded W7 used on the Fathom and Gotham subs is simply the most capable woofer used in home subs(size considered). Not counting the TC Sounds upcoming products,these well think of them a better quality and much higher output RT subs,dual PRs matched with one woofer.

A Klipsch option would be the THX Ultra twins with the matching amp,these would be pitted against dual f113 subs. Who winns? For slam the THX combo,for quality and depth the Fathoms.

I have four RF82's with an RC62 and just purchased an F112.  Couldn't be happier.  Room is about 2600 cubic feet, open on one end to a hall/stairway. The RT12d is a very good sub.  But the Fathoms redefine the market.  They are every bit as good as TheEAR indicates. 

I think for your size room the three top contenders would be the F113 (or a pair), the Klipsch THX, or if your room will accomodate it, the Danley.  I found that I could get comparable discounts on both the Klipsch and the JL's.  Don't let the MSRP of either scare you off.

I have four RF82's with an RC62 and just purchased an F112. Couldn't be happier. Room is about 2600 cubic feet, open on one end to a hall/stairway. The RT12d is a very good sub. But the Fathoms redefine the market. They are every bit as good as TheEAR indicates.

I think for your size room the three top contenders would be the F113 (or a pair), the Klipsch THX, or if your room will accomodate it, the Danley. I found that I could get comparable discounts on both the Klipsch and the JL's. Don't let the MSRP of either scare you off.

Thanks Raider,

I am on cloud nine with the JL subs,and I have so many other worthy subs(from low cost to big ticket servo subs). Reason number one being sound quality,in the master class.Reason two the built quality and components.And last but not least the output,down deep. After hearing this sub side by side with competing subs ...poor competition.

I auditioned the JL Audio F113 & G113. OMG! They redefine subwoofers.

Phenomenal, incredible, soul-rattling impact in low frequencies! You probably won't find them discounted anywhere like you can the RT-12D. The price is STEEP, but they can afford to charge it because they are THE BEST.

The Gotham will make your grandchildren sterile, spoil the milk you plan to buy next week, and back all the nails out of the subfloor in your home!