How far apart are your K--Horns?

DoubleJ

After seeing some pictures in a recent thread (DeanG, LarryC, Cut-throat, etc), it is hard to determine how far apart people have their K-Horns.

Not sure what is the best way to measure ( Wall corner to Wall corner...Room side bass bin to room side bass bin, etc) but please mention how you measured.

The reason behind the Q is two fold:

1. Just curious on how far apart people have their K-Horns and

2. At what point do people add a third channel.

My K-Horns are 13ft apart (corner to corner) but will be 25ft apart when I finally get off my lazy arse and finish a room off in the basement.

Thank You in advance for your help!!

JJ

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11' corner to corner. That only leaves just under 6' between the closest leading edges of the pair. I don't doubt that a center channel would be great if the corners were 18-25' apart, but then I'd have room for a center channel, instead of just a dinky chair and coffee table.

EDIT: I sure hit the wrong key -- my room is only 11' from corner to corner! That accounts for the mere 6' between the nearest edges of the pair.

lc

Room is 24x18. They are 24' apart. I can only get back about 14' from front wall. Just a tad shy of what I think I really need, but it works. I have a center channel ch. rigged up that I use for some music.

Edit: I think if it was about 22x18 it woulf be perfect.

Mine are 18' apart and form an isoceles triangle with the listening chair.

I also use a Cornwall for an additive center channel. Adding the 3rd channel provides a more stable sweet spot and also adds a bit of depth to the sound stage. They do not need to be turned up very much in order to "anchor" the middle image. Since they are dialed down (and since the additive circuit is easy to make, if you have spare amp around) by all means try it out even if it is with a "cheap" center speaker. You will get a feel for what it does.

This may have a much more profound effect on the sound when compared to many of the other tweaks that are suggested on the forum.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! It is greatly appreciated

Russ: Thanks for including the distance you sit from the K-Horns. I didn't even think of asking about that and now others have taken your lead!!![Y]

LarryC: I was way-off on my estimate on how far apart your K-Horns are. I was thinking about 10 feet.

PrestonTom: What you mentioned is exactly what I plan to do. I purchased a 'mini black box' from Dr Bill a year or two ago (Dr Bill also had a perfect mono amp to complete this set-up but for some stupid reason I didn't pull the trigger) and I have the choice of using a single Cornwall or one of my Belles for the center channel.

Sheltie Dave: Way to sneak in a political statement and still stay on topic!! LOL [Y][:D]

Thanks again everyone for your continued help and support!!!

JJ

hey JJ, i didn't use any center between my k-horns for years because my klipsch dealer told me i didn't need one. my first center was a rc -3, next came a heresy, next came a vertical corn, and when i used a lascala my kids said WOW. in the next 2 weeks i will be putting in a belle for my center and letting 5 of my speakers go to my son who just bought a new house. lascalas for the front, a belle or a vertical for the center and a pair of heresys for the rear.