Any tips on building speakers?

ottscay

I have a good friend who is an excellent woodworker and a uge music fan (more importantly, a Klipsch fan). He wants to get into DIY speaker making for personal fun (maybe someday I can scor apair off of him). Can anyone of you DIYers clue me in as to where to start looking for drivers, tweeters, etc that would be appropriate for a Klipsch-like sound? Does Klipsch sell them?

Thanks!

What parts you're looking for depends on what you're building.

If you and your buddy want big bass horns it is choice between the K-Horn or the Jubilee, if you want PWKs work.

I'd suggest the Jubilee because it is much easier to build and performs somewhat better, doesn't need a corner, etc. There is a grass roots movement engaged in construction projects around here. That, I think, is a good tribute to PWK's last efforts.

It also opens up more options for the HF horn. There are may commercial HF units which are usable or you and your friend could experiment with a home brew HF.

Gil

Thanks for the input guys! Colter, I already have a 7.1 all-Klipsch system based on the RF-83s (and an old pair of RF-7s to boot) and he has a 3.1 system made up of Klipsch I sold him to help fund my new (Klipsch) purchases, so it's not any lack of satisfaction with Klipsch products. He just really loves woodworking and wanted to combine his interests. I'm sure he'll get his own account and join the forum sooner or later.

I have to admit, I'm temped to try experiements, like putting current reference line hardware in a curved encolsure to see what effect resonance reduction has (not that I'm going to sacrifice my speakers, mind you). I'm too much of a wuss to ever butcher my own speakers of course. I showed him the Jubilee projects posted here, and he was pretty interested, so that may be what he goes for.

Thanks to everyone!

"...so it's not any lack of satisfaction with Klipsch products. He just really loves woodworking and wanted to combine his interests."

Well said. Have fun doing it and let us know what you have in mind. I too love Klipsch and their speakers. I'm about to purchaase some RF-52's for a small 2 channel setup. Can't wait to hear em. I also love to do DIY projects for personal gratification.

If you want to go for the big gun jubilees...there are plans on this forum....but these aren't the REAL plans. The plans found here are creations of what was published in the original described article.

Have fun.

jc

You might also want to invest in some measurement equipment...always trust your ears, but measurements are a great way to verify and identify behavior that doesn't show up when predicting performance. If you've got a computer nearby, then there are a ton of free tools available - both for measurement and prediction.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the toys that I've been playing with the last couple of months. There are also a whole bunch of tools that you can spend money on too - they will offer more accuracy and better integration of all the different kinds of tools. But an average tweaker isn't going to need such insane accuracy.

One of the best tips is to not solder while in the nude...[8-|]

Dan

Pretty good for a newbie!

And I was just kidding about the 'build a box' thing- just feeling wacky yesterday.

I don't know who among us hasn't tried our hand at hand-whittling a cabinet at some time in our audio careers- have at it!

www.ebay.com i have had really good luck here but gotta be careful and buy from good sellers.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm bunches of pro drivers, horns with all the info on the speakers.

www.mensicus.com

bob crites who is a member here and sells on ebay too. He is wonderful to deal with and is extremely knowledgeable too. And when he promises something, consider it done. I bought a pair of his k33 replacment woofers for a belle clone i built and they work perfect.

Dan