FM trend reversed?

LarryC

WETA FM, long one of three classical music FM stations in the Washington-Baltimore area, dropped its classical format in February 2005 and went to a mix of talk radio programs including BBC and NPR broadcasts and at least one locally-hosted program. Now, that's just been reversed -- as of last night, WETA-FM (90.9 in the DC area) went back to classical. See the Washington Post article Radio Stations Harmonize on Classical Music: WGMS Ditches Its Old Format But Helps Orchestrate Its Revival on WETA.

WGMS had been another of the three (WBJC in Baltimore, 91.5 & still going strong, was the third), although imo it had gotten squirrley in the past few months. It was clearly going to be sold and leave the classical market. When the company owning WGMS announced its pending sale to Dan Snyder, Washington Redskins owner, it received "hundreds of angry letters and e-mails including correspondence from one highly placed member of Congress." The outcry apparently spurred the company, Bonneville International Corp., to strike a cooperative agreement with WETA to not leave Washington without a classical station. Bonneville will donate its 18,000 classical CDs to WETA, adding to the latter's 25,000.

WETA seems to be looking to regain contributors, perhaps lost in its move to talk radio. The move to talk radio apparently has been a trend around the country, derived from conventional wisdom and assurances that it would increase income and contributors. Now, one wonders.

WETA is right back in the classical groove with good announcers and selections, and listening to classical on the car radio is just the ticket for me. This afternoon, I heard "Hobgoblin" from George Whitefield Chadwick's tuneful and lively Symphonic Sketches, and the announcer's stylish intro to Haydn's Symphony No. 103, the "Drum Roll."

I actually wouldn't mind a mix of music and the better talk programs like BBC news, and hope the'll be putting in some variety. In Boise, one can hear Celtic Connections and Janie Harris's (widow of Gene) weekly jazz broadcast. Maybe DC (and Boise) are unique?

Larry

Anyone who thinks NPR is "lefty" needs to listen to more Lou Donaldson . . .

By the way, we are on pins and needles out here in L.A. where the local jazz station KJZZ appears to be heading toward a format change, which would be flat-out TRAGIC. It's one of only a handful of honest-to-God jazz stations left in the entire country.

d268_1.JPG

Video killed the radio star.....

But seriously, if you want to listen to Brits you can find it. As for jazz, what an enigma. It is the most and purest form of American (USA) musical expression, yet the vast majority of Americans just don't get it. My sister in law once told me she just did not understand it. Once it gets mainstreamed enough for accessibility it isn't really jazz anymore as any jazz fan will tell you. I have a hard time understanding why it is so hard for fellow citizens to understand in their souls just what makes it so great. It started out as one of those things like rock---parents did not approve of their children being into jazz---yet still has this stigma, or is just too far out of the mainstream, while rock is being used to sell financial products. I could go on and on about this because to me it is frustrating.

Glad you posted this Larry. I've already tuned into the new
WETA format which I understand will be receiving all of the old
station's cds to go along with what they already have for about 24,000
classical cd's.

Selection -wise, it's got those Top 40 radio stations beat cold.

Just
ignore Gary folks, I guess he caught todays morning drive time
show here called "The Thebes is Always Right" and the fact that I
called Bush's speech last night a $&%&*%%()(&)&)^&^
whose father was (^*%#^%^&&__& and should go straight to
^&)_*_(_&*%^$#@@%@ with a pogo stick
%$*$^$)&*__&_&*#$@@#$@.

Video killed the radio star.....

But seriously, if you want to listen to Brits you can find it. As for jazz, what an enigma. It is the most and purest form of American (USA) musical expression, yet the vast majority of Americans just don't get it. My sister in law once told me she just did not understand it. Once it gets mainstreamed enough for accessibility it isn't really jazz anymore as any jazz fan will tell you. I have a hard time understanding why it is so hard for fellow citizens to understand in their souls just what makes it so great. It started out as one of those things like rock---parents did not approve of their children being into jazz---yet still has this stigma, or is just too far out of the mainstream, while rock is being used to sell financial products. I could go on and on about this because to me it is frustrating.

Smug statements like that are part of the reason I can't stand jazz.

Sorry Scott. I don't think of it as smug, maybe it sounds that way. I like LOTS of different forms of music, more that most. I don't think it is smug that I have a hard time understanding that those who like the same rock, and/or classical, and/or renaissance, or r&b, or etc. as I do still can't latch on to jazz.

"By the way, we are on pins and needles out here in L.A. where the local jazz station KJZZ appears to be heading toward a format change, which would be flat-out TRAGIC. It's one of only a handful of honest-to-God jazz stations left in the entire country."--Allan. (Is this smug too? Or is it not tragic because it would be smug to think so?)

Anyone who thinks NPR is "lefty" needs to listen to more Lou Donaldson . . .

By the way, we are on pins and needles out here in L.A. where the local jazz station KJZZ appears to be heading toward a format change, which would be flat-out TRAGIC. It's one of only a handful of honest-to-God jazz stations left in the entire country.

d268_1.JPG

Anyone who thinks those NPR talk programs aren't "lefty" needs to listen to more Lou Donaldson!

post-11821-13819321619022_thumb.jpg

This is actually win-win situation for me, as it would be nice to finally have a decent 70's and 80's rock station in the area (which is what the WGMS station is going to), but at the same time, it is good to hear WETA is finally going back to an all classical station. I'll have to see if I can even pick up any of these in the office. Maybe actually worth hooking up an FM tuner back into my system.

One of my favorite covers and Allan attempts to ruin it for me! [;)]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Only a smooth jazz station, (WJZI) here in the land of milk & cheese but we do have an excellent classical option, (WFMR). Trouble is Im never in the car long enough to get through a symphonie. Aint no 405 or 495 around here![:D]